Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
How do I remove the window handles?

The window handles that tilt the windows open on my '72 Safari seem to be permanently affixed so there is no way to remove the screens. There's a tiny hole in the handle but the thing that attaches the handle to the lever is neither a screw or a rivet. It looks like the only way to take the screens off is to cut a small slit in the screen frame and slide it around the handle. Since my grandmother always warned "never cut what you can untie" I'm reluctant to cut the screen frame.

The first picture is of the handle. In the second picture I muscled the handle around with my vise grips to try to unscrew it. That didn't work but it did make it possible to photograph the mystery hole. (pointed out by the red line)
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
That should be a set-screw with a torx head. Torx drivers are 6-sided..."allen wrench" is another name for the tool that can remove such set screws....google those terms, and I'm sure you can find a picture.

If the head of the set-screw is so rounded off that its not recognizeable, you'll probably have to drill it out. but they should just un-screw, and the handles slide off the operating arms.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hwy, that set screw on mine is a 3/32" allen fitting. You can pick up a set of those at the hardware store for about $10. It's a handy set of tools to have around for the future, so it won't be money wasted.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Yep, that did it...sort of

Borrowed my son's allen wrench set and was able to take out all but 4 of them. Drilling them out is a pain because they're at such a stupid angle. Very poor design. I think I'll replace them with wooden knobs or something. And ewwwww where the screens an windows filthy.

Thanks for the help