Old 09-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #1

Question How can I fix "yellowed" bath fixtures?

My husband and I recently purchased an 34' 1983 Excella with a rear bath. It needs some work with curtains and upholstery which I will just fabricate myself, but I am completely stumped on how to whiten the bathroom. I was told by a dealer that heat yellows the material over time, but he did not know of any way to correct it other than replacing the entire unit. Does anyone have any ideas? There is some minor (small and few) cracking in the ceiling of the tub near the rivets, but other than that there appears to be no other structural problems with it.

Wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne
My husband and I recently purchased an 34' 1983 Excella with a rear bath. It needs some work with curtains and upholstery which I will just fabricate myself, but I am completely stumped on how to whiten the bathroom. I was told by a dealer that heat yellows the material over time, but he did not know of any way to correct it other than replacing the entire unit. Does anyone have any ideas? There is some minor (small and few) cracking in the ceiling of the tub near the rivets, but other than that there appears to be no other structural problems with it.
There are a couple of things you can try, both have limited success. First, you can try wiping straight bleach on the plastic, it may lighten the yellowing. Just try not to get any on the aluminum, as it is corrosive to aluminum. The other method is a vinyl coating, in your choice of color. It would likely require removing the parts for coating, and if you are going to do that, you may as well replace the discolored items while they are out.
Terry

Old 09-02-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I just bought Klenks Tub and Surround epoxy mix at HD, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Bath tub and surround

I will be spraying mine on rather than using the roller.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup
I just bought Klenks Tub and Surround epoxy mix at HD, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Bath tub and surround

I will be spraying mine on rather than using the roller.
That is the epoxy stuff I was referring to.
Terry
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How can I fix "yellowed" bath fixtures?

Greetings Wynne!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne
Another possibility, especially if you aren't a do-it-yourselfer, is to consult a local bathroom refinisher. When it came time to address the yellowed Avacado green bathroom in my '64 Overlander, I found a local refinishers who was willing to refinish the bathroom while in-place - - all that he asked was that I tow the coach to his shop a few miles from my home. He spent hours preparing then applying the specialized finishes to properly handle the three different kinds of surfaces in my Overlander's bath. The service included changing the color from Avacado Green to Antique Pewter. The before photo is below:

The after photo is below:

The entire process was aprroximately $700.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

That really looks great. He did quality work.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I had my bath refinished as well, although mine was removed from the triailer at the time.
I believe that refinishing is a good way to fix up yellowed plastic or fiberglass fixtures. My refinish has proven to be as reliable and durable, if not better,then the original. Highy recommended.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
Was wondering what to do with mine. Now I know. Thanks folks, Love this site!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #9

Smile Thanks!

Thank you all so much for the info! That restored bath looks great. I think that is the way to go. I'll check around to find a local shop that can do the work. I don't think I will even try to tackle this one myself. Thanks again.

Wynne is offline   Reply With Quote