Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
How are Twin Bed Hanging Wardrobes Attached?

We are researching a 25fb queen to twin bed conversion. Next to our queen bed is a shirt closet over two stacked 10" wide drawers and a lower cabinet. The frame of this assembly is supported by the floor. If the drawer frame was cut away from the upper hanging wardrobe how could the the wardrobe be supported from the side? Looking at the attached drawings the queen wardrobe is open on the end against the adjacent wall

I think the factory hanging wardrobes have their own side for support.

For the conversion we'd have the drawers and framing removed from the top wardrobe. Then the top wardrobe would have to be mounted to support the weight loaded during towing.

I guess the easiest solution is leave the wardrobe alone and just have a shorter twin bed. My wife is only 5' 6" but I'm thinking of resale value to have two 78" long twins.

Kelvin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008 Airstream 25fb Bedroom Parts.pdf (164.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just popped down to the storage unit and looked at the closet. The adjacent wall seems to be veneered plywood. The hanging bar is screwed down to this wall. I suppose a hardwood ledge running the width under the wardrobe could be attached and then use some L brackets around the perimeter inside screwed into this wall.

The wife accompanied me and she laid against the curb wall and her head butts up against the front window too much. Its only 68" long from the front to the wardrobe. With the drawer section removed the length is 80". So we will have the drawer section removed.

Kelvin
Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We removed the hanging wardrobe over the curbside twin in our 2011 25' FB Twin to make the bedroom more open. The wardrobe does not have its own side where it contacts the adjacent wall. It does have a 1x3" frame that lets it keep it shape. There are a series of screws along the bottom and front frame that go through the frame and enter the adjacent wall. There are a few screws that go into the aluminum through the bottom rear frame. Lastly, and maybe most importantly, there is a steel bracket firmly attached to the ceiling, into which the top frame of the wardrobe attaches with screws. Sorry I don't have any pictures. Hope this helps. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks for this information. Sounds like the steel bracket is essential. Is the bracket located above the door or more in the center of the wardrobe?

Kelvin
Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Kelvin,
I found one photo the shows the placement of the bracket (I did not remove it when I removed the hanging wardrobe). Hope this helps. Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441735952.114206.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	247641
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks very much. I downloaded the photo and zooming in I can make out the bracket. There must be a rib there for the bracket to screw into. My Classic has the vinyl roof covering. Hopefully my AS has similar structure to screw in a support bracket.

Kelvin
Old 09-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I went out to my AS in storage after work and looked in my bedroom closet. There is a L bracket screwed to the ceiling. It may have to be beefed up during the conversion. I'm not sure if the bracket is screwed into a rib. I'll continue investigating.

Kelvin
Old 09-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I guess the easiest solution is leave the wardrobe alone and just have a shorter twin bed. My wife is only 5' 6" but I'm thinking of resale value to have two 78" long twins.
Kelvin
We began looking at this as a future conversion when buying the Airstream new. She also sized it up and decided she never sleeps completely stretched straight out, so why don't we keep the very, very useful drawers and shirt closet. A slightly wider bed than the other would be helpful and the mattress would be custom cut anyway because of the wall curve at the top.

As for resale value, our Airstreams have both aged past the new and stock equipment period. We don't modify our Airstream for a future buyer either. But if so, most would value the closet and drawers more than a longer bed, if she can fit into it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've noticed my wife rarely sleeps in a semi fetal position but if there were a physical restraint that would force her. She can lay straight out but her head is right up onto the front window. I thought she might have had a couple inches of headroom before her feet hit the wardrobe. We'll try it again and reevaluate.

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 04:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I converted our queen to twins. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I will look to see if I have any pictures of the closet insides from my conversion. But what I remember is there is a metal bracket just inside and above the door. It's In the previous picture.

There is also a wooden support under the upper shelf that attaches to the metal skin.

The inside laminate white framing that is open screws into the bathroom wall, and the whole assy was screwed to the floor as well.

There are at least three or four other threads on the Forum that have converted from a queen to twins.

Good Luck
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Did you do the work yourself or contract someone to do it?

We are waiting for a quote from a local RV repair/renovations company here is Nixa. They usually perform renovations during the winter months as they are booked solid for RV repairs currently.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 09-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Kelvin,

I did the work myself. I had reused most of the support framework. I had cut new mattress platforms (base), and had new mattresses made by a local bedding company. My curb side access storage was slightly reduced, but the new bed on the street side gained more useable space. The amount of useable floor space is amazing - it really opens up the trailer.

Good Luck

Drew
Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks Drew. Have you had any issues with the cionversion after some use. Is there anything you would've done differently?

I've searched for the twin bed conversion threads and have them bookmarked. I even sent them to the owner of the RV shop we are anticipating using to do the work. They've worked on a few Airstreams.

I would love to see some photos of your interior to compare.

This is our conversion plan.
I plan to use the large drawer at the end of the queen bed for two drawers under the street twin. The draw boxes will be lengthened as the queen drawer is only 12" deep. I'm having the heater vent moved from the shower wall extend to be next to the curb twin next to the nightstand. I'm thinking about moving the batteries to under the street curb twin next to the shower wall. I'm going to have the lower shower wall opened up a bit for better access to the shower drain P trap for servicing. I'll have the converter panel placed behind the water heater. I'll probably have a drawer built for under the curb twin. The nightstand will use the two 10" drawers from the queen bedroom wardrobe with a new wider drawer below. The nite stand top will be Corian to match the kitchen but we my go with a different color for the bedroom. One or two electrical outlets to be set in the Corian top. The wardrobe shirt closet will be retained.
We will have a leak test performed and all roof vents resealed and as long as they are doing that have Maxim skylights to replace the OEM skylights. Any other leaks detected sealed. LVT floor will be installed throughout the trailer.

I've got some broken bolts on my stabilizer jacks so I'm going to have them replace all the stabilizer bolts.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Kelvin,

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5216.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	248072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5217.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	248073  

Name:	IMG_5225.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	248074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	248075  

Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks for sharing.

Did you have to shorten the wires to the electrical panel to mount it in the new location?

Is the wardrobe support on the wall from the original wardrobe or something you added?

Were you just able to cit the bottom drawer section off from the shirt closet after removing it?

So you left the storage under the twins open and you use removable baskets or bins?

Kelvin
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I did not need to cut any wires. I just separated the AC and DC bundles and dressed/tied them up.

I reused the two original supports. I also added a 6-8 inch piece of 1" L angle to the bottom of the shelf, and wedged the vertical part in the gap, then attached it to the wall. I found it easier to remove the lower door and both drawers first, and with a flashlight looked for all of the screws and supports.

After removing the closet, I used blue painters tape, to mark where i was going to cut. This also helped prevent the laminate from chipping. Re-installing the closet is a little tricky and you may need 2 people.

Right now the bottoms are open. I've been looking for some laminate or precut panels to make doors. With the beds made you can not tell the under bed storage is open. If you look closely, you'll notice the under bed storage openings are off set. This was done in part by design. I was trying to reuse as many parts as I could, and copy the factory look as best as I could, and I was also wanted to stack 4 (6qt I think) containers under the curbside bed.

We don't mind the open storage below the drawers for now, we are trying to figure out exactly what how we want to use the open space. I wanted to have a strong support for the beds and drawers, but also want to be able to store somewhat long items along the front wall.

The factory does a so-so job in keeping wires neat and clean. I cleaned up the rats nest where the 7 way connector enters the front. I also added some support shielding from some scrap wood.

We've tried to be able to take advantage of all available storage space. We're still trying different combinations, and really love the openness and access to the different storage areas.

I am not a carpenter, and my wood working skills are 'fair to average'. I've used basic tools most of us already have. I will admit that i probably spent as much (if not more) time planning this project as I did actual work.

Good Luck
Old 09-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I picked up our AS yesterday to take home to prepare for a weekend trip. Looking in my closet the shirt wardrobe has the L bracket screwed to the wardrobe frame and the ceiling. There is a bit of a gap between the ceiling and L bracket with a couple of screws. That may have to be modified. I notice at the bottom shelf of the shirt wardrobe screws through the frame into the shell. I notice a lower frame up against the bath wall screws going into the bath wall. The wardrobe is open to the bath wall. The hanging rod is screwed into the bath wall and into the wardrobe outside wall. I'm wondering if additional supports would be needed once the lower drawer assembly is cut away. We may decide to put in shelves in this hanging closet vs hanging clothes and just use the hall wardrobe to hang jackets. There wouldn't be a lot of weight in this closet, just folded clothes but traveling over rough roads is the concern.

It would be nice to have another hanging wardrobe on the shower wall but the window is close to the shower wall with the day/night shade valance.

Did not your queen bed have a wide drawer at the end. We have one that must be about 4' long and 12" deep. The face of it is just plain rectangle hickory veneer it could be cut in halve and a deeper boxes built then installed under the street twin. They said it would be easy to match the finish for constructing and additional drawer for the nightstand and for one under the curb bed next to the converter.

I plan to instruct them to open up the bottom of the shower wall where the heating duct comes out so I can have better access to the shower drain plumbing. I'm planning to have the batteries moved into this location; 2 new AGMs. The heating duct will extend forward to exit near the night stand.

Kelvin
Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Kelvin,

Our beed did not have a drawer at the foot. I wish it had as it would have provided a drawer/door to reuse.

So how are your plans and work progressing?

Drew
Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The shop we are planning to have the work done can't get to us in until winter. They like to do renovations during the winter when most of their repair work has tapered off. We have chosen a luxury vinyl tile snap together floor and they have seen the trailer and taken photographs. Just waiting for an estimate.

Kelvin