Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
AUSTIN , Texas
Holes in the 1972 bathtub...need advice!

Mine's a 72 Ambassador. Original bath fixtures. Big holes x 2 and several cracks. Hoping to find a bath refinisher - type who can do this job but no luck so far. PO tried fixing with fiberglass patch but didn't hold (I'm unsure of the reason- maybe operator error??) I'm willing to learn and do what I can on my own but this needs to be done right for sure....
Any sage advice out there?
Thanks in advance!
Kris
Krisaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
AUSTIN , Texas
Holes in tub

Trying to upload photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2515.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	306697  
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
My vote is for a full gut, shell off restoration back to its glory days!

Welcome to the airstream family!

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. Fun and rewarding project ahead I’m sure though.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The bathtub may not be fibreglass, but made out of ABS plastic; two totally different materials, that require two different materials and methods to fix.

I'm sorry to say but you will probably have to remove the tub in order to get it fixed properly, or use it as a mold to reproduce it. I'd be very surprised if it could be fixed in place.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi again... I figured you would get some responses to your questions. That tub looks bad. Removing the rear bath from the trailer isn't awful terrible, just simply bad. The ABS plastic parts are likely a bit brittle from UV and the like, so you have to be gentle.

I have removed the rear bath in my 75 Overlander. I did so to repair the rear subfloor. It took me maybe 4 hours to remove the bath from toilet to tub. Your trailer might have the same subfloor madeley. It is common on 70s trailers. So is frame rust. So is rear end separation. So is bad axles. So is bad appliances. It's a rather long list of needs.

Like wulfraat says, it can be rewarding, both the doing and the result.

Okay, back to the bad tub. Rear bath parts come up for sale on the Classified tab of these Forums. They aren't worth much, but shipping will double the cost (big volume parts). It might be an easier alternative to get a used tub.

Here's one: http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...rear-bathroom/

ABS is a plastic that can be repaired. There are folks on the Forums that can do it. It's a bit like welding, an acquired skill. Then you can paint the plastic tub and it will look pretty good.

Vintage Airstream renovations are lots of work (rewording) and lots of expense (less rewarding). You end up with a pretty nice trailer ready for the next 40 years of adventures.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
AUSTIN , Texas
Originally I wanted to pull out the tub et al but was told I'd have to uninstall other parts of the trailer in order to take it out. Is that correct?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
AUSTIN , Texas
Hmmmm... if pulling out tub for a mold to make a new one- who would do that? A plastics fabrication place? Bathroom remodeler?
Could a lining be fabricated out of the abc plastic (or?) and inserted into the existing tub?? Just brainstorming....
Thx for all the replies!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Keep an eye on our local craigslist, I do concentric circle searches... start in austin then expand outward in a roughly 6 hour drive in any direction. Also, post to craigslist stating you are looking for a tub in the same areas. If you put "Airstream" in the keywords, many people will look at your posting.

Give me a holler some time, I enjoy meeting other local vintage travel trailer enthusiasts plus I have a boatload of related tools and enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
AUSTIN , Texas
Thanks, will do!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Wow! What a mess! Kinda makes me wonder what sort of baroque activities the PO was up to in that tub!

I would tend to think that the patch didn't hold because of adhesion probs, he didn't sand down the existing tub properly, and the soap scum (and whatever, see above) kept the resin from adhering.

I believe that you're faced with one of two alternatives: throw everything out, or build a shell on the existing tub. I built a tub-like floor in my wet head using woven roving fiberglass mat and epoxy over plywood, and it's doing well. You would basically sand the tub down so that it was nice and rough, and then fill the holes. I would stuff something like bubble wrap in behind the tub, then spray foam a large area behind the hole. After it sets up, sand the surface flush to the tub. Using a Dremel, grind out about 1/2" or so of the foam so that the void goes under the existing tub. Fill this with a stiff mix of epoxy and chop/kitty hair (a fiberglass product, not from a real cat!), this will give you a nice backing plug when sanded flush to the tub.

The roving is laid in dry, smoothed flat with your hands, then epoxy is poured on top. Spread it with a plastic bondo spreader until the mat is dry, no drips. Keep on applying epoxy to build it up smooth, making sure to apply the first few layers with a chip brush while the previous layer is still slightly tacky, this keeps you from having to sand between coats.

Be sure to have mondo air circulation, dust masks, kneeling pads, loud music and copious beverages while doing this!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I went through this exact conundrum in the last year. I had selected my trailer because I liked the floor plan and the large bathroom with non-wet bath, but the bath components were cracked, and when removed, they practically disintegrated in my hands. I originally wanted to replace with something entirely new, but the more I investigated, the more I came to the conclusion that to get something that would fit nicely into that exact, curvy corner space, I would either have to repair what I have or somehow custom make something with identical dimensions.

I removed the entire bathroom. I think I could have removed just the tub, seat and lower plasticy shower walls without completely removing the rest of the bathroom, though lots of things are puzzle-pieced together.

The problem with replacing with a used part, is that the used tubs are just as old as the one you are pulling out. Same thing with trying to do plastic welding--if you can get a good weld, then you fixed the hole you have, but you will likely have another hole next to it in no time at all.

For a repair, I used fiberglass on the OUTSIDE of the tub, and basically put about 4 layers of fiberglass all over the outside of the tub. By going on the outside, it didn't have to be perfect, and by doing entire layers, I was able to reinforce the entire tub (and seat). Don't use the crappy polyester fiberglass you get at the big box stores and autoparts places. Use a quality marine grade epoxy based resin. It isn't cheap.

I tried to find someone in my area who knew their way around fiberglass boat repair who would be willing to take on the project, but I couldn't even get anyone to call me back, so I ended up learning (or half-learning) a new skill. It is messy work, and sanding the fiberglass results in lots of itch and dust, so be prepared with all the necessary gloves, coveralls, goggles, breathing masks, etc.

I thought that since I had just done all this fiberglass work, that I would go all the way and do the final finish with gelcoat. That didn't work at all. Don't know exactly where it all went wrong, but what a pain it was to remove the gelcoat that failed to harden, sand it all off, and then use epoxy based appliance paint to finish it off.

I spent a lot of time on the project, and it wasn't much fun. In retrospect, I could have probably hired a fabricator to make me a custom stainless steel replacement and been happy to spend the money.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I know Inland RV had new bathroom replacement parts. Not sure if they still have them.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Humble , Texas
Please take this advice with caution as I am a newbee Airstreamer.
However, I've had great success at patching some of the components such as the battery covers and wheel well covers in my camper.
I've used sheet rock seam tape, the kind that is mesh with a lot of openings. It is similar to cheesecloth only has adhesive.
Don't use much of this, just enough to bridge the holes and give the epoxy that comes next something to bond to.
I then used the small tubes of epoxy that you can buy at a box store. It mixes easily and bonds solidly.
(of course clean all your surfaces really well before you do anything)
RosieRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
As I stated before, if it's made of ABS, epoxy will not stick, and I'm pretty sure it's ABS plastic, which requires ABS pellets mixed in with MEK to produce a slurry. The MEK softens the old ABS surface, allowing the new ABS to stick.

Here is a thread on making an ABS slurry: this is nasty stuff by the way.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...air-50075.html

I would see if Inland RV has replacement tubs first before even trying to patch the tub. ABS does have a shelf life.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
AUSTIN , Texas
Thanks very much to all - I'm so grateful for the level of detail provided in these descriptions. This helps tremendously.
I'll be sorting through options and figuring this out ... feel free to add more if you feel so inspired... Lovin' it!
Kris
Old 03-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #16

1976 31' Sovereign
Agua Dulce , California
Does anyone think that plastic spray they sell for sealing rain gutters might adhere to it? It’s called Flex Seal.
Eilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilish View Post
Does anyone think that plastic spray they sell for sealing rain gutters might adhere to it? It’s called Flex Seal.
Because a black bath tub would be inviting? Pretty sure it won't stick as ABS plastic forms a very slippery surface due to the polymers used it its manufacture; even PL Premium Nails doesn't stick to it.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I pulled out everything from the kitchen back. Kept some trim to tie in. Rebuilt the back floor adding a grey tank and more welded support. I then moved built a shower over one side over wheel wells, and new toilet, black tank, and sink over the other. I then built a platform bed (queen) in the back. See my post if interested. Not original, but works great for us.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Chicago
I took out tub and did shower pan

Tub is so small and the step in was a pain so I went with a rv shower pan when I did my Rear floor and added grey tanks. Much easier access to shower..
Almost done in this pic.
Madmarke007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarke007 View Post
Tub is so small and the step in was a pain so I went with a rv shower pan when I did my Rear floor and added grey tanks. Much easier access to shower..

Almost done in this pic.

The pic didn't post. The anticipation is killing me!