Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2008, 11:29 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
This is absolutely what I'm seeing. It is the aluminum dust from rubbing parts. Does any body have a fix? Is it a rebuild issue? I had an rv tech tell me to get the carpet cleaned periodically....sounds like it could make things worse. I'm guessing most AS don't have this problem, so there is something different with mine (it was stored outside Vegas so maybe excessive heat ruined the joint "tape")? Sure is ugly.
Brddog
Brddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brddog
This is absolutely what I'm seeing. It is the aluminum dust from rubbing parts. Does any body have a fix? Is it a rebuild issue? I had an rv tech tell me to get the carpet cleaned periodically....sounds like it could make things worse. I'm guessing most AS don't have this problem, so there is something different with mine (it was stored outside Vegas so maybe excessive heat ruined the joint "tape")? Sure is ugly.
Brddog
Hi BrdDog; It is impossible to recommend a solution to your problem without going visual. Chances are, that if the trailer is not leaking, the outer skins are OK. This, I am almost sure of. I would start with checking integrity of the frame and mounting of the floor/frame to the shell. If there is no indication of venting on the walls, you just may have loose bolts in the area the C channel mounting the floor/frame to the shell. However, the frame needs to be inspected first. If it is heavily rusted it will not offer sufficient support structure for the shell, and in time it will destroy it. The attachment of the shell to the frame is most critical, because that is what gives you a multi dimensional structure. It is also possible that with age plywood floor has compressed somewhat and allows the shell to vibrate during towing. Check your shocks, and running gear for proper balance. This is very critical issue in your case. You may also want to check if the cabinetry attaching fasteners and the inner walls did not become loose. Good luck, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Thanks Boatdoc'
Do I check the bolt tightness by crawling under the trailer with a set of sockets? Since the AS is only a couple years old...
Brddog
Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #24
_

. , .
hey dog

save your efforts.

with a 3 year new trailer, NONE of the suggestions apply. save that stuff for a OLD trailer.

the inner skin ISN'T taped at the panel overlaps.

the inner skin DOESN'T get any liquid sealant on the panel overlaps.

the inner skin doesn't get high strength rivets.

the inner skin sections move and rub against each other from DAY ONE.

this movement is everywhere, subtle and happens every time it is towed.

and results in the fine black DUST.

the problem is VISIBLE because the mouse fur is porous, so the dust bleeds.

the REAL issue is why hasn't a/s changed wall coverings to eliminate the bleed OR done ANYTHING about it...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brddog
Thanks Boatdoc'
Do I check the bolt tightness by crawling under the trailer with a set of sockets? Since the AS is only a couple years old...
Brddog
Sorry, I did not know that your AS was only a couple of years old. "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Well with the input from 2air, I am guessing I'll put upwith it until I get so many smudges I can't stand it then replace the fuzz with something impermeable, vinyl backed to keep the aluminum filings traped out of sight. If this is an endemic problem I would expect an after market solution or is it DiY? Has anyone done this?
Brddog
Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is almost impossible to prevent mold from froming inside a large tin can that has a source of moisture, whether that be human, himidity, or leaks. Since an Airstream has all 3 and there is no way you can get to all the nooks and crannies when attempting to clean the best you can do is keep it to a minimum. What a lot of fooks that live in the high humidity areas do is leave a dehumidifier on while the trailer is parked and good ventilation while your are using the trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote