Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Help with fleas!

I visited my trailer in storage yesterday and when I stepped in, a fella with a clipboard told me I wasn't on the list.

Fleas have taken over my baby and my legs were covered in them within a minute of being inside. Is this as simple as setting off a regular house bomb and leaving her shut for a day or two? Are there any other concerns I should have? Best practices?

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I guess I'd handle it the same as I would with the house. Use all the same precautions with dishes, food surfaces, etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hi Scott,

I've never had them in the AS but have had plenty experience at home. First take any bedding you have out of the trailer as well as food items and plates / dishes. Wash the bedding in hot water and hot dryer. While the bedding/food stuffs are out, open all the compartments and doors inside and set off a flea fogger and shut the main door. Be sure to put newspaper under it on the floor before discharging and leave it for a few days. For ongoing non- toxic flea control we used to use a small bare 7 watt green bulb over a tin pan of water/dishwashing liquid on the floor. The fleas would come and jump at the warmth of the bulb (not sure why they like green) and fall into the soapy water and drown. You could also use a sticky mouse trap pad instead of the water. This method need continuous power and is good for maintenance but if the place is infested the fog bomb is the only way I've found to take em out. Good Luck!

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I like "full season" flea killers/spray. Kills adults, eggs, larvae. Use per manufacturer instructions.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
After all the above, buy 2-3 "extra large" dog flea collars and cut them into 2-3 inch pieces and place them in strategic locations, inside and out. Cheap insurance for fleas and also keeps wasps and other critters from coming into your AS.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for the feedback, folks, I'll be on my way shortly!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
After all the above, buy 2-3 "extra large" dog flea collars and cut them into 2-3 inch pieces and place them in strategic locations, inside and out. Cheap insurance for fleas and also keeps wasps and other critters from coming into your AS.

Pap
What would you consider "Strategic locations"?

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I visited my trailer in storage yesterday and when I stepped in, a fella with a clipboard told me I wasn't on the list.....

Scott
I missed the point of this opener. What list are you talking about? And how is this related to the fleas?

I would use the house bug bomb and see where that takes you. Do you have pets? If so the dog collar thing sounds like a good idea.

Good luck.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I missed the point of this opener. What list are you talking about? And how is this related to the fleas?

I would use the house bug bomb and see where that takes you. Do you have pets? If so the dog collar thing sounds like a good idea.

Good luck.
Sorry my attempt at humor. I was saying that the fleas had a doorman keeping me out.

I bought three cans of flea bomb and set one off already in the living room. Tomorrow I'll set can two off in the walkway between the bathroom and the twin beds and Saturday I'll probably finish them off with a can in the kitchen.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Three cans in that area is overkill. You'd be better off doing them one at a time, every two weeks to the newly hatched ones.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A few days parked in the Arizona sun in mid-summer will kill fleas, bed bugs, house flies, bees, and about anything else in your Airstream. Caution, this will also kill children and pets, which are illegal to leave in parked vehicles, anytime.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
if anyone is interested, we use diatomaceous earth for a number of insect related issues; fleas and ticks for the cat (rub her down, put in food) mites for chickens (put in dirt bath and in food for internal pests) and to kill fire ants (dump / stir in nest). It's organic and can be consumed by humans, too. Also good for bed bugs. It's crushed fossilized shells, i believe.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Fleas cannot live without human or animal blood to feed on. If there a source in the trailer? Maybe even a dead animal? The fleas are hungry that is why they jumped all over you. They do'nt live on an animal, they jump on, feed then jump off. I would get some Adams Flea spray or something similar and spray before I used a bomb. Good Luck!
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
I second the diatomaceous earth idea. We use it on both of our dogs and haven't seen hide nor hair of fleas since we started. I got two big bags off Amazon...be sure to buy FOOD GRADE, not pool grade as this is poisonous to dogs and people.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The fleas don't simply like your decor. There is or was a live mammal in your trailer at some point.

You did not mention how long it had been since you had used the rig, or if you have pets that might be carrying fleas.

But, if it has been more than a couple weeks, the fleas would all be dead without something to feed on.

I would look for signs of rats or mice.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Fleas can lay dormant for a long time

If not dormant, and left alone with no food source for a few weeks, they WILL attack.

In addition to every thing else you do. ( Flee Bombs )

# 1 Hot water to clean linens ( Borax and detergents )
# 2 Dawn Liquid Detergent ( Blue ) to clean what you can
# 3 Sprinkle Borax Laundry Booster on carpets/matress, wait a few days,
Vacuum,Repeat a few times ( I was told that Borax melts bugs) .
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Ok, thanks so much everyone for your feedback and advice. The trailer hasn't been used since March 31s but we did have our two dogs in it for two weeks prior to that. At Jekyll Island, we had them out in the fields a lot, so I can definitely see them being picked up there. When we got home, it was time to give the dogs their flea and tick preventative medicine, so we did. We haven't had a problem in the house. I was in the trailer a week or so ago taking some measurements and didn't notice any fleas at the time. I DID, however, take a piece of visqueen I had at the house on the patio and took it to the trailer a few days back... THAT could very well be the source.

If not, I could see mice getting in there as well, as it's stored in a gravel parking lot with a ton of other RVs.

Anyway, I started the fogging earlier today and will go back and check up on Thursday I think.