Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
HELP...Ive got BEES....

I was working on our '67 Safari, when I noticed a constant buzzing sound. There were also a few bumble bees flying around...I DONT KNOW WHERE THEYRE LIVING! Somewhere inside the walls im guessing. Any know of a good way to eliminate them? Maybe a bomb? Spray? Thanks all!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Well that rots! 59 toaster had quite the beehive between crossmembers under his floor - 2' square. He posted a picture once but I can't find it right off.

Quite a while ago I discovered orchard dust with warnings not to use near beehives. I would apply some to a surface that the bees would cross to enter their hive. They wiped themselves out. It was neater than a bug bomb. I'm not sure if such products are on the market any more.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You probably should call a bee expert to deal with them...most bees are Africanized these days and they can be quite aggressive, even deadly if you get them excited and they decide to swarm you (and your pets). We have a lot of trouble with them here in AZ. We've had 2 hives in our house walls and eves. Not too long ago a guy was wlking his dog and they attacked him and his dog. He had over 1000 stings and ended up in critical care...the dog was in a coma and rushed to the vet...don't know how it ended for them...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
HELP...Ive got BEES....

My Minuet seems to be the neighborhood's home for wayward bees and wasps. Every season there will be at least one nest of each. The wasps seems to prefer the battery compartment and have been known to build their nests so that they nearly encapsulate the battery. The bees seem to prefer to make their home in the bellypan area.

My solution has been to utilize several heavy duty "bug bombs". I usually set off two inside of the coach and shut the door. Another two are set off in the underbelly. The original owner of my coach put a hinged panel in the underbelly to access the area near the dump valve, and I just carefully open this access hatch and set off two of the bug bombs in that area. I let things sit in that manner for at least 48 hours before I open the coach up and air it out.

The above process works for me, but it does mean that there is a fair amount of cleaning needed -- I empty all of the cabinets and use my home automatic washer and dishwasher to get everything cleaned up for the season.

I still don't know what the difference is -- the Overlander and Minuet have been parked within 30 feet of one another until this Spring -- the Overlander has never been bothered while the Minuet is sure to have one nest of each every Spring.

Good luck in resloving your Bee problem!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
I was working on our '67 Safari, when I noticed a constant buzzing sound. There were also a few bumble bees flying around...I DONT KNOW WHERE THEYRE LIVING! Somewhere inside the walls im guessing. Any know of a good way to eliminate them? Maybe a bomb? Spray? Thanks all!
Bumble bees can be trouble! They are probably in the insulation. Some years ago they made a nest in a sofa I had on a screened porch (don't know how they got in there)! I had to get the sofa outside and literally tear the bottom off to get to the nest in the padding, then sprayed them. I would call an exterminator, they are dangerous to deal with and if they sting, it hurts like hell. There can be a hundred or more in a single nest. Too bad to eliminate them as they are important pollinators, and normally gentle, but not if you mess with their nest, and you can't live with them!
You will have to deal with them at night when they are asleep. Here's a site about killing them out: Bumble Bee Control: How to Kill Pest Bumble Bees

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
Bumble Bees are not aggressive and are important pollinators given the decline in honey bees. There are no africanized bees in your area. If you can live with them this year they will be gone in the spring. If not - see this link. Or, contact your local beekeepers association for advice. Good luck....

Bumble Bee: Biology, Habits and Control of Bumble Bees
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote