Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sanford , North Carolina
Help Hanging Clock Safely

Newbie, on the road for a month and have really enjoyed the forums. Appreciate all the good answers and experience. We want to hang a fairly small clock, weight of maybe 1-2 pounds, above the TV in our 2014 27 FB International. The surface seems to be some sort of shiny faux wood. Behind it seems to be wood and the freezer. Would appreciate any ideas, particularly curious if I can put a small wood screw in there. Any help appreciated.
Sharon_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
You might want to use a belt and suspenders approach.

A screw in the wall to hang the clock and a bit of Velco to keep it on the wall during travel.

You can pick up both at the hardware store.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon_Jon View Post
Newbie, on the road for a month and have really enjoyed the forums. Appreciate all the good answers and experience. We want to hang a fairly small clock, weight of maybe 1-2 pounds, above the TV in our 2014 27 FB International. The surface seems to be some sort of shiny faux wood. Behind it seems to be wood and the freezer. Would appreciate any ideas, particularly curious if I can put a small wood screw in there. Any help appreciated.
We use commercial strength locking Velcro to hang everything. Works wonderfully. No nail holes and comes off without any problem. You cannot go wrong with this product! Stay away from nails!
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I just put up a Command Hook removable stick-on, take it off the wall for travel along with stowing the usual, and put it in the bed along with the laptops.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
Commercial strength Velcro is the way to go! We used the 25 pound per inch super strength velcro to mount a rather heavy brass ship's clock in the bedroom (sailors you know!) - hasn't moved at all and we've done lots of tow miles. Can always take things down, clean the wall and you'd never know you had hung anything at all. Great way to do it.

Cruising the highways and byways with Silver Fern when not on the water.
LandSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I second the use of the Command hooks. I have become a huge fan, and they have many different sizes.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The problem here is, although I love command strips, is 1) the 1 - 2 lb weight; and 2) the "shiny faux wood" comment. If the faux wood is a vinyl applique, I have found that much weight pulls the applique away from the wood. The Command strips/Velco holds, but the glue on the vinyl doesn't.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Velcro- the space-age fastener-
If you are concerned about the clock falling off the wall in transit, remove it while underway.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The fake wood panels in newer Airstreams are just like your laminate kitchen counter-tops (fully glued to the underlying plywood or OSB) and the "fake wood part" will not pull off if you Velcro a 2 pound clock to it.

I second the Velcro approach, I'm not sure if the Command Hooks will be strong enough for a 2 pound clock (remember, you'll be bouncing down the road so take any weight ratings intended for a fixed application with a grain of salt.)
Old 01-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What material is the fake wood? The whitish wall covering on the dividing walls (bathroom, etc) does pull away from the wood it is glued to with a bit of weight on command strips. I had a light tin coat rack on my bedroom pocket door wall with a couple of hoodies on it. Over time the wall covering started to peel away from the wood. That is the only place in the AS where I used screws.....except Co detector, TV mount.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
What material is the fake wood? The whitish wall covering on the dividing walls (bathroom, etc) does pull away from the wood it is glued to with a bit of weight on command strips. I had a light tin coat rack on my bedroom pocket door wall with a couple of hoodies on it. Over time the wall covering started to peel away from the wood. That is the only place in the AS where I used screws.....except Co detector, TV mount.
In this case the OP was referring to the area above his TV in the living area. In his model Airstream, that part of the interior is made of Wilsonart laminate on plywood or OSB backing. The material should perform just as a typical laminated kitchen counter top. I'm not sure about the construction of the white panels in the toilet room. It also looks like laminate to me but I really haven't looked into it. We have some Command Hooks in use in the toilet room on the white walls and have not had any problems yet.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bob, in that case, I'd bet that command strips (proper weight rating ones) or industrial Velcro would work fine without even taking the clock down during travel. I have framed pics velcroed to the mouse fur and they never move.

Lighter stuff on the white vinyl are fine in my unit....the coat hook and sweatshirts are probably maybe 2 pounds combined, and the vinyl pulled away.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As a fine clock could be seen as an upgrade why not inset the clock into the wall. Silver Streak did this for years. I'm looking at the 25-yr old one in mine now.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our Airstream came with a factory clock that is mounted on the same wall as the thermostat. It is secured with a small screw (that the clock hangs on). What carries the bulk of the weight are two velcro strips on the wall and the clock. The clock uses the screw to allow you to hang the clock. Once it is hanging, I push the clock against the wall. That locks the velcro strips together. The clock is rock solid and it is very secure. When I have to replace the batteries, I have to provide some serious pull to get the velcro to let go.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote