Old 07-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Red face Help for newbie!

Hi, I acquired a 1969 Safari about a year ago. It went to Camping World to have the difficult stuff done (water, propane, electric, etc.) and is now home with me to finish her out. I plan on starting with the bathroom and work my way forward and I have been reading this forum religiously. Unfortunately, I have yet to see my bath configuration and am not sure what to make of it. I am attaching some photos to describe my dilemma. The toilet was removed when the black tank and plumbing lines were replaced, so that will be obvious. It looks like someone (PO?) started disassembling them bath and some parts are missing. Can someone explain to me how this is bath is supposed to work? I pulled the base of the tub out, as you can see. It wasn't attached, just under the bath. The back side (closet) is exposed wood with some screw holes in it. What went there? What is supposed to hold all of this together? My plan is to remove all of the ABS parts, paint them epoxy white and reassemble. But with what? Is there trim, molding that holds it together? Where do I get this stuff? There are also sliding compartments in the bath. Are these supposed to get wet? Is the exposed wood supposed to be covered by something? Sorry, my camera lighting is terrible. That's the wood "wall" on the 3rd photo to the left of the sliding storage. Thanks for all your wisdom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 042.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	134832   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 041.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	134833  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 018.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	134834   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 055.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	134835  

Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Here is a link for your airstream with photos. Click on your year and type of airstream.

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Brian

Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Hi Sarasafari, Welcome!
The wood wall in my '64 was covered in laminate.
The tub lower panel is riveted to the tub in mine and has a metal trim at the floor that screws into a wood ledger behind the surround.
You can and probably should prep and paint these in the trailer rather than take them out. You have to disconnect your sink and tub plumbing to remove these parts. I would only remove them for reasons that would involve bad flooring or plumbing that had to be accessed, not for painting, unless you need the exercise.

Cheers,
Rich the Viking
Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Brian and Adrienne, thanks for the links! My trim is definitely missing! Anyone have any ideals about where to find flexible metal trim??
Rich,I thought it was probably going to be best to paint the sink and tub inside the trailer, but the "surround" is already off, as are some other pieces, so I will paint those outside and reinstall--with, what? Rivet plastic to plastic, use screws? And still the elusive trim....Vintage Trailer Supplies sells trim. Guess I'll check with them. thanks, guys! Sara
Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
You are on the right track.
Rich the Viking