Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Help! Bathroom Restoration

We just purchased a 1969 Overlander. I have a to-do list that first includes resealing all vents on top (including installing one fantastic fan), replacing all door and window gaskets, and replacing the axles.

But after that I want to focus on the restroom. It looks tired and aged. My question is, what is the preferred method of painting/restoring the plastic tub/sink/.ect?

I'm also surprised there isn't a Restroom Restoration Forum under the Interior Restoration Forum. Or is there one (someplace) and I just missed it. I would think this would be a popular topic with older Airstreams.

John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings John!

This is a job that I left till last on the restoration of my '64 Overlander. The Overlander's bathroom was a faded and stained avacado green that just did not coordinate with the blue/white/silver color scheme of the refurbished interior. Rather than purchase painting equipment that wouldn't see much use beyond this project, I hired a local bath refinishing contrator to do the job. It turned out that it was a good idea as there were three different kinds of products used in the bath - - fiberglass, ABS plastic, as well as an unidentified plastic product - - each required a different primer/surfacer as well as modifications to the final top coat. The process was a great success, and the cost was less than $600.00 complete.

It took a little searching to find a contractor who was willing to work within the confines of an Airstream bathroom, but after talking to 15 contractors three agreed to look at the job. In the end, I went with the contactor who was referred by my plumbing and heating contractor - - he was a perfectionist and actually had the lowest bid as well.

Good luck with your bathroom project!

Kevin

P.S.: This is a before photo of the bathroom:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathtub_6.jpg
Views:	1393
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2419  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings John!

This is a photo of the completed bath (the new color is called Antique Platinum):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathtub_after.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2420  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:59 AM   #4
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Kevin,

I can't get over how good your bathroom looks now. It looks brand new! When I get to this stage, I think I'll go your route, and try and find a bath refinishing contractor. I may even take everything out of the restroom, and while I'm at it look at replacing/repairing some rotting wood under the bathroom that I recently discovered.

Thanks again for the info.

John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote