Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Droppo

1978 29' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Smile Help!!

My wife and I lived full time in a small 1964 AS when we got married. That was 14 years ago and we've forgotten a lot. We just purchased a 1978 and are working to get it ready to go full-time again. We're having good results so far. The guy we bought the trailer from didn't know much about it and we weren't sure what to look for. I found this forum and saw inspectors will look at units for people before they buy them. I already own the trailer and it's sitting in my driveway, but was wondering if an inspector in AZ (Phx metro east valley) may be willing to come look at it just to help me know what all I'm in for.
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks,
mdroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
mdroppo, go to the Portal page and look to the right of the threads—it says "inspections" or something close to that. Enter your state and see who turns up. There are a lot of Airstreamers in the Phoenix area, so you may well get more advice than you counted on.

Good luck with your new baby.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Are you a WBCCI member, or planning to join? You might consider the Dead Horse rally in Cottonwood next month. I can almost garantangtee you someone there can tell you what you need to know.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Hello mdroppo;
Welcome to the forum.
Since you are located in Mesa, AZ take a look at the rallies coming up, especially the one in Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State park. As Lumatic says there will be plenty of people to give you friendly advise on what you need to look for or need to do repairs on. In April we will have the rally in Albuquerque for making repairs and it is espressly good for us that are making improvements to their units. I intend on having a set of solar panels installed at that rally. You are fairly close to Dillons RV in Mesa. They are an A/S dealer or they have been in the past so you could pick up items there for your unit also.
You might give some thought as to joining the Four Corners Unit while @ Cottonwood. Hope to see you there.
Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748

"Life is an adventure, live it to it's fullest."
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi mdroppo ~

First and foremost, welcome to the forums. You'll find a wealth of info at your fingertips, just use the search feature on the top right of the title page and you're sure to get your questions answered. If not, start a new thread and you're certain to get responses.

Second, I wholeheartedly agree about joining the rally in Cottonwood next month. You'll meat a bunch of aluminitus-infected lunatics who will be more than happy to give your unit the once over, maybe even a twice-over. The members of the Four Corners Unit are a cooky lot but we're here to assist you in any way we can. There are a number of us right here in the Phoenix metro area. Give us a shout via a PM (personal message).

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome

Glad to see another Ambassador on here. We live in the East Valley (Ahwatukee) and might be able to help with some of your questions. Our trailer is quite a bit older, but many things seem to apply regardless of age. Feel free to send a PM with any questions you have.

Another great way to find answers is to attend a local rally, there are always rigs there from different generations and a ton of willing folks to lend a hand.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream advice, purchase, repair