Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

HDTV For My Airstream?

The time has come to replace the tv in our coach. Here are the questions:

1. Will my Wineguard batwing work with HDTV?

2. Is it practical to use a laptop and one of the USB port tv tuners? If so, I assume HDTV versions will become available when the time comes. A 15" screen is what I am looking for anyway, and it would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, as we could use a new computer here at the house.

3. Does anyone else wish that all concerned with pushing through HDTV would be shipped to a slowly sinking pacific atol?

Actually, any ideas would be given serious consideration. The current thinking ranges from a 14" crt (cheap at$71 and fits the storage space) to analog LCD mounted on the all, to ???

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

As a subscriber to Dish network, I can tell you that there are only a handful of channels that come in with the HDTV antenna. I am not sure you could justify spending the extra money on HDTV for your coach. Regarding the dish needed, you absolutely need a different dish and LMBF to receive the HD signal.

I hope this helps a little.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Your batwing will be just fine. It picks up RF (radio-frequency) and doesn't care whether it is carrying analog (NTSC) or digital (ATSC) information.

Keep in mind that just because a station is transmitting digitally, that doesn't necessarily mean that information is HDTV. SDTV can be transmitted digitally as well. That includes OTA (over the air) as well as cable and satellite.

At this time, I know of no small LCD TVs that have an ATSC tuner in addition to an NTSC tuner. You would have to buy a separate ATSC tuner, or use one integrated into an HDTV grade satellite receiver.

At this point in time, I would do as someone else here recently did and buy the cheapest 13-14" standard definition TV you can find, considering it essentially disposable in 2-3 years. You'll be money ahead going that route.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
I would do as someone else here recently did and buy the cheapest 13-14" standard definition TV you can find, considering it essentially disposable in 2-3 years.
That was what I suspected.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I've said before that no one should buy any HDTV without DVI-HDCP. This is NOT the same DVI now used on the output of computers and the input of computer monitors, but a special encrypted connection.

Now it looks like DVI-HDCP will be replaced by HDMI, which if on a TV, will be backwards compatible with DVI-HDCP outputs of older set-top boxes (STBs). HDMI adds audio and a few other goodies to the video-only DVI-HDCP. While DVI-HDCP is just now getting widespread on HDTVs, HDMI may be another year or two getting widespread.

Yes, this whole digital TV/HDTV thing is still a mess for now.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Isn't there an issue with the number of stations that are even broadcasting in digital, and the broadcast coverage form the tower?

Meaning that if you are not close to a major metropolitan area you would not be able to get the signal anyhow. If you are in a campground with cable or have a dish that is a different issue.

I agree with the idea not to buy a new TV with the big $$ technology now. Wait until the prices come down in a year or two. Look at DVD players. they were 300.00 just 3 years ago, now you can get one for 49.00 with component video out!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Actually, I bought a little DVD player with progressive scan and component video out from Radio Shack on sale for $29.99 and have since seen it on sale for $24.99! Their regular price on it is $49.99.

The price of ATSC to NTSC converters is going to have to come WAY down before they shut off analog broadcasting or there will be a revolt in this country. Currently ATSC tuners are in the $300 range, but as with DVD players, there's no reason they can't be $29.95 by then.

The number of OTA broadcasters finally broadcasting ATSC is beginning to increase, and that should continue, even for stations out in the boonies. However, much of the programming is still 4:3 SDTV, even though it's transmitted digitally. HDTV content will increase in the next couple of years.

There are some issues with ATSC broadcasting, including problems with multipath (reflections off buildings). These should also be resolved in a couple of years.

It's just not ready for prime-time, if you'll pardon the pun.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Try clicking here for your 'using the computer as a TV' needs.

If you are a Mac user, try Eye TV or Miglia Alchemy.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote