Old 03-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Have you started from empty shell and designed your interior layout?

A wise person on this forum has said several times with new things (plans, pieces, equipment) come new problems. How true that is. We have a new to us, 28' 62 Ambassador and it is a empty shell. The wire is run and hanging into the space, tanks are installed underneath, it's been painted and new floor.

So you would think it's easy to start from there but it hasn't been.

We have the opportunity to lay it out anyway that fits our needs and our use. We even have the interior furnishings and could put it back the way if it was (a double). But we are a bit stuck...trying to achieve just the right plan, trying to maximize space, not make to many mistakes.

HOW DID/WOULD YOU START IF YOU HAD A EMPTY SHELL? And my computer skills and patience are not strong enough to do sketch up, I have looked at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62 pics 5.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	208043  

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I feel your pain. My Overlander came gutted and I couldn't even guess how many hours I spent planning the refit. I know I used a lot of notepads (and Sketchup). I used a lot of blue tape including hanging it from the ceiling to make wall corners etc. I think either using existing floor plans or modifying them slightly and trying it out with cardboard furniture might be the way to go. With my 33 Sov it has everything but in a really unusable layout so again it's back to the drawing board but this time there's not much that's close to use as a guide; either a modern 34'er or a vintage 30'er is still a way off.

At least you don't have to figure out tanks etc…

I'm going to start hoarding big sheets of cardboard for planning mine.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
A wise person on this forum has said several times with new things (plans, pieces, equipment) come new problems. How true that is. We have a new to us, 28' 62 Ambassador and it is a empty shell. The wire is run and hanging into the space, tanks are installed underneath, it's been painted and new floor.

So you would think it's easy to start from there but it hasn't been.

We have the opportunity to lay it out anyway that fits our needs and our use. We even have the interior furnishings and could put it back the way if it was (a double). But we are a bit stuck...trying to achieve just the right plan, trying to maximize space, not make to many mistakes.

HOW DID/WOULD YOU START IF YOU HAD A EMPTY SHELL? And my computer skills and patience are not strong enough to do sketch up, I have looked at it.
Rough sketch based on actual window, door & wheel well positions, then tape outline on the floor, then full scale mock up with cheap luan, 1 X 2 spruce & sheet rock screws. After the mock up is completed, start adjusting. Make sure you make the beds, gaucho, dinette strong enough to sit on, so you'll grasp all of the correct sight lines when seated or lying down.

I worked in the Industrial Design world for 24 years, before building my own Airstream Restoration shop. As you can probably guess, I've built a lot of mock ups over the years.

Regardless of the computer technology you have access to, there is nothing better than having a full scale mock up. Its actually a really fun & motivating process because you can see your vision coming into fruition.
I know it sounds daunting, but you'll love the process.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We used blue painters tape on the floor and (because we're cheap) used cardboard boxes to mock up the various interior parts of the trailer. I also spent some time on the vintage web looking at trailers in our size range and years to get ideas for various layouts we could use. We tried to make good use of what hatches we have for storage. We also tried to envision all kinds of situations we would be using the trailer. Some problem solving and planning went on as we built things (and still is). It has definitely been a process for us! And, yes, it is definitely fun!
Good luck!

Kay
Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Trucks, Colin, Kay thanks for the good input. Collecting cardboard, drawing (badly), checking threads, and looking at lots of rv layouts. Think we may consider reusing the original tub which means putting the bath back in its spot (the back). Think we need to figure out how far from the existing tanks the bath can be. Kay we are looking forward to seeing yours and Chris's at the academy and draw some inspiration from it. Back to the drawing board.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 28
Lodi , California
I just picked up a couple of cardboard sheets at Costco, the ones they layer between the toilet paper packages. I think they are 4'x4 poster board. They worked great for mock up for the new wall partitions that I am cutting out. Big lightweight and free!

Best of luck on the new layout!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Good idea on the cardboard the large pieces are hard to come by. Thanks

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I'm planning on using a scupper drain (electric pump thing) on my shower pan, with access from below for maintenance (toss in garbage and replace with new). It seems pretty cool and pumps uphill so I can have my grey tank pretty much wherever I choose which at this point would be above floor; gasp! Just mentioning it as I'm finding the concept of below floor fresh and above floor grey and black could offer plenty of advantages.

Maybe someone should come out with a line of plastic 1/12th scale RV cabinets and appliances, think of the endless hours of enjoyment….
Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Less than a year ago mine was an empty shell, it was the most fun project I have ever done.

Enjoy, make the best of it!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We look forward to seeing you at the Academy! We'll show you what we did wrong! Chris says to keep in mind that where your black water tank is located, is where your toilet will be as the toilet needs to flush straight down. An above floor black tank gives you more versatility but are typically smaller. Grey water drains from sinks and tub are more flexible as you can run them above the floor to wherever the grey tank is located. Keep in mind you'll want the plumbing hidden inside cabinets, under the bed, etc. Also remember you have to dump both grey and black tanks so you need to plan for the dump plumbing underneath the trailer as well. We redid how our trailer dumps so that the black water tank is flipped around to dump forward and is then tied in with the grey water tank. They dump behind the wheels and forward of the stabilizer jack.
If we had it to do over again, we probably would route the bathroom sink into the black tank. We find that we don't fill the black tank anywhere near as quickly as the grey tank, and we could use the extra liquid in the black tank. We may still change it. It would have made for easier plumbing too.
Our grey tanks are over and behind the rear axle. Bathroom is in the rear of the trailer. Plumbing goes under the bed along the wall forward of the bathroom.
Layers and layers of planning!

Kay
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
tjp
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
thousand oaks , California
this is good advice , I have done the same for years with my clients when making special cabinets and such. hard to get the real effect from a drawing
Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I left the bathroom but widened the door. I left the overhead above the kitchen sink. I changed the rest a bit.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote