Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Edinboro , Pennsylvania
Hanging flyfishing waders

Full timing compulsive flyfisher needs to hang and dry out gortex flyfishing waders on a daily basis. Does anyone have any experience with hanging waders to dry the interior and if so how have you done it? Want to use plastic "wader hangers" like you find in Cabelas. Where might be the best place on a 34' classic airstream trailer to install these? Appreciate any ideas!
air2stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Unless its raining, I turn my waders inside out and hang them from the awning side rails. Takes little time for them to dry out. If its raining, I lay them over a lawn chair under the awning once they're inside out. You may have room inside your 34'er but I know I don't.

I've fished Spruce Creek a couple of times there in central PA and wish I could get back up there more often. Beautiful country.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I find that with the Gortex I do not need to turn these inside out as much as I did my old neoprene waders. I just hang them on the awning arm for an hour or so and they are dry. In the picture, you will see my waders on the rear awning arm. This was an outing with my fly club over Memorial Day weekend.

Check out the cute dog in the lower right corner as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waders.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	593.0 KB
ID:	81812  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Ditto on the "turn inside out." I too hang mine on the awning arm when weather is nice. In the tub when its not. I also have a pair of neoprene waist high boot foot waders which I hate. I stuff the boots full of newspaper to wick away moisture in these. Used on a daily basis you'd go through an awful lot of newspaper.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Coburn , Pennsylvania

Excellent question. I have been wondering about the same thing because as a guide, I too need to keep the insides relatively dry and odor free as much as possible. While I agree that turning them inside out or merely hanging them over the awing support seem as reasonable solutions, hanging them by the boot foot to drain (after an unexpected "swim") and dry might be preferable. Unfortunately, it seems that the AS trailer interiors do not provide much usable space for installation of a wader docking mechanism like those boot/wader plastic hangers sold at Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro etc.
flyfishntier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Edinboro , Pennsylvania

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe there are still more creative options out there, particularly during winter steelhead fishing season. I agree that the limestone streams of Centre County PA are some of the best places to fish for wild brown trout.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We spend considerable time fly fishing while living in our Airstream and drying our Goretex waders overnight is important. If you get back to the trailer at dark and temperatures overnight are below freezing, hanging them outside is not a useful alternative.

We have two sturdy hooks mounted on the shower wall and hang the waders, inside out, overnight from those hooks. In the morning, we put them with the neoprene booties in the flow of air from the furnace (not too close!) for a few minutes and they are absolutely dry for the day's fishing.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Yellowstone 2008

Brad, Richard and other flies...this picture is for you.

I saw this picture when Sue and I were returning from the Bozeman Rally. I truly thought of Brad and Richard as I shot this dedicated fly man doing his thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2936 2900.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	81821  
Old 06-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Edinboro , Pennsylvania

Tim,
Great idea. Tell me more about the hooks and how they are mounted. Are the screwed into the wall? Suction mounted? Brands you prefer for these mounts?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The hooks we have are no longer sold or, at least, I have not seen them for sale for some time. Similar hooks are surely available.

Ours have a large back surface with double-stick foam adhesive to hold them in place. In addition, I drilled a hole in the center of the hooks' backs and used a screw as additional fastening to the fiberglass shower wall. If you do something like this, make sure that the hole you drill (for the screws) in the fiberglass is not too small. That way you can avoid chipping. I also used a dab of caulk to seal the screw hole.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote