Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Hanging a full length mirror

Hi all,

I have done some research on hanging a full length mirror on the interior of the bathroom door, but would I need more info before proceeding. There is not a lot of info out there.

Anyone ever try this? Success, or failure?

One option would be to use screws or clips, which I have ruled out as I do not want to screw into the hollow door.

Some have tried with Liquid Nails, but it would seem with little success.

I am hoping to use industrial strength Velcro and/or Museum Putty. Hoping to hear thoughts from others.

I am concerned that the adhesive on the Velcro may not stand up to heat or sub zero temperatures. I am also concerned that if it doesn't work, I may damage the door if I need to remove the Velcro.

I can't imagine that some haven't tried this. Care to share your thoughts?

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
We have used industrial strength command Velcro with great success for hanging pictures, wooden plaques, mirrors, magnetic boards, etc. we've had zero problems. Amazing stuff! Just make sure you use generous segments and get the "command brand" in locking style.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I'd be tempted to use something like these...

Command Large Picture-Hanging Strips, White, 4-Strip - Picture Hanging Hardware - Amazon.com

In my sisters trailer, she tried the clips but they held the mirror too tightly and it cracked the first trip out.

My 60’s trailer had a full length mirror that floated loosely in a frame made of "U" shaped wood trim.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaBluPlus2 View Post
Hi all,

I have done some research on hanging a full length mirror on the interior of the bathroom door, but would I need more info before proceeding. There is not a lot of info out there.

Anyone ever try this? Success, or failure?

One option would be to use screws or clips, which I have ruled out as I do not want to screw into the hollow door.

Some have tried with Liquid Nails, but it would seem with little success.

I am hoping to use industrial strength Velcro and/or Museum Putty. Hoping to hear thoughts from others.

I am concerned that the adhesive on the Velcro may not stand up to heat or sub zero temperatures. I am also concerned that if it doesn't work, I may damage the door if I need to remove the Velcro.

I can't imagine that some haven't tried this. Care to share your thoughts?

Your layout is slightly different than mine but I have had success mounting mirrors as follows:
I removed the small shaving mirror, and remounted it elsewhere in the head. I put a large 30" x 36" mirror in its place secured by double sided mounting tape and mirror brackets. The mirror also sits on the vanity so it's not inclined to fall down. I do not think you can have the mirror sitting on the vanity due to the placement of your switches. I also mounted a 60" long x 9" wide, thin mirror to the back of the wardrobe door using the same double sided tape and mirror brackets. Both mirrors have remained secured with no issues for two years now. You should be able to use the same technique on the head door, but with some risk, depending on the weight of the mirror. Over all, the combination of industrial strength tape and the mirror brackets seems to do the job. You could also add a tiny shelf for the mirror to sit on. I only mentioned the shaving mirror because it is such a poor (and cheap) resolution to a design issue that Airstream has completely failed at and it is my only complaint with the Airstream. (And I had to tell somebody) Jim
Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We hung a full length mirror on the inside of the bathroom door with 4 command picture hanging strips. It falls off on really bumpy roads. It's been up for 6 months and has fallen 2 or 3 times. I added 2 more strips. I think I'll try the double sided tape if it continues to fall off.

We removed the shaving mirror, too, and replaced it with a 24 inch square mirror. It stays up fine with the command strips.
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I am surprised. Those things are really something when "locked in" I would think that the ones for 25 lb or so would do well.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
The locking command Velcro is incredible. We've had no issues with holding power.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Thanks everyone! I knew I couldn't be alone in this.

Here is the Industrial Strength Velcro that I have. Not sure what you all mean by "command" Velcro. Are you specifically referring to the 3M Command brand?

Do you suppose this would work?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
oops no photo

Hmmmmmm, photo didn't take.

(How the heck do you add a photo?!)

Below is a link to the Velcro I am wondering about. Any thoughts on this brand?

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07...18_500X500.jpg

Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Hemingford , Nebraska
mwernke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We screwed a full length mirror to the outside of the slider on the bathroom of our excella. The screws went through the wood frame of the mirror.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote