Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Hammock idea, is it strong enough?

I have the interior skins off of my 1980 20' Caravelle and I want to build a removable and lightweight sleeping loft above the front dinette. My idea is to add horizontal ribs about the height of the top of the windows and then add Rivnuts spaced a few inches apart along that horizontal line all the way around the front 4' of the interior after the skins are applied. Then simple eye bolts could be screwed into the rivnuts as the attachment points for the hammock web. I can easily see how it would go together to make a hammock like a double bed above the dinette (If the fabric is strong enough, it might feel more like a cot). I could then unscrew the mounting hardware when we don't need the sleeping capacity and put it back in when we did. I would probably add an adjustable nonelastic strap on the rearmost strap to cinch it very tight to keep the occupant from rolling out and maybe one in the middle to make it like two twin hammocks. My concern is that this would put too much of a squeeze on the structure of the trailer unless I put in some rigid cross member to prevent the walls from squeezing inward. Does anyone have a sense of what a 2-300 pound total load (assuming several kids playing up there) that was directed toward pulling in the walls of the trailer would do? My sense is that the combination of the inner and outer shell plus the ribs could easily handle this kind of force, but I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts on the matter.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote