Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Gutting our 1968 30ft Sovereign... what do I do with the original parts?

After the initial idea to purchase new but sadly Airstream could not make the modifications we had hoped for, we finally purchased a 1968 30ft Sovereign. We just got it home and are planning a 100% overhaul. Almost everything is original and in Really good shape. We are renovating her to work for our family so a lot of these pieces won't work for our family. Anyone interested in purchasing parts? Is there somewhere I can sell these pieces? I would love to see everything used for another home and not just trashed. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
There is a classifieds section here that you list your items into.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Awesome! Thank you so much! This is all new to us
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas
I'm close to having my 68 30ft Sovereign towable again. I ended up gutting it and doing shell on (wish I had place to take shell off) frame repair. Since we have the same AS fell free to message me with any questions you may have specific to yours. Our year AS falls in a transition year which makes it interesting sometimes trying to find out what is specific to our year model. Best of luck with the renovation. Take lots of before pics and enjoy the process even when you get frustrated. Believe me the more I took mine apart the more serious issues I found and wanted to quit but still am loving it.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
Do you happen to have the guacho (front lounge sofa)?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas

Wrong post sorry
Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I also have a 1968 (Overlander) I am specifically interested in one of the reading lamps above the bed if you have one. It is cone shaped and brushed aluminum finish. Thanks! Could you post photos?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
If it were me, I'd store the original stuff & do any/all mods in a way that it could be put back to original at a future date for a future owner - or you. As with classic cars, vintage trailers & AS's, there is a value to originality to the collector world. Storage in most Irvine projects is probably an issue, so you'd be using a storage facility for the trailer in all probability, so you can just rent enough space or a locker/space for the parts.

Also, kids grow & your needs may change in the future where you'll downsize to a shorter AS, so the parts may be helpful is resale at a later date, or for you're putting it back to original for just you & your spouse (as empty-nester vintage kin owners, we'd make different decisions when kids were young, than now - even with the grandkid(s) in the equation). A 30-footer is a lot of trailer to haul around, & will preclude you from some locations (Sequoyah National Park & PCH north of SF come to mind) - so you may want more flexibility in the future with the shorter trailer.

When you're ready with that `68, you may want to look into going to some vintage trailer rallies - so get onto Vintage Camper Trailers magazine's website & look up the upcoming events, & a subscription will be a helpful tool as well.

They're loads of fun for folks of all ages, & kids too! Newport Dunes is close by this October, if you want to check one close by at the public open house show-n-tell of all the trailers, plus some are selling parts there which you may need. There'll be free hotdogs for all comers by one of our vintage AS buddies, so feeding the kids is fun-n-free! Look us up if you come to it.

Also, Vintage Trailer Supply is your friend when restoring/updating vintage trailers (separate companies, but latter has ads on here).

FYI - there was another member on here from San Diego also getting a 70's 30' AS, so you'll have company here in SoCal.

Good Luck with the resto-mod & hope to see y'all at some vintage trailer rallies in the near future!

PS - you probably visited the OC AS dealer up in HB/Westminister (by Lexus off 405 at Beach), & despite what they tell folks, be assured that there's nothing a new AS has that you can't recreate in your vintage AS (TV/Audio, Microwave, etc. ...) - except that the new ones are not built as well as the vintage ones & are much heavier in their construction!

Cheers from your vintage kin Avion buddies up in Orange!
Tom (& Jana)
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20 #2
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas

Stupid phone sent me to wrong post
Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
We also have a 1968 30' Sovereign we started working on two years ago! I have sent you a private message as there are a couple of parts I'm looking for (such as the 6" square ceiling light fixtures). For what it's worth, if you are going to go through the "adventure" of remodeling an Airstream, remodel it to make it yours and to reflect what you want it to be. Don't worry about the next owner. They will probably want to remodel it to make it theirs anyway! We are at the point of remodeling/replacing the entire rear bath - and the items we are not reusing are going on this Forum's classifieds or on Ebay.

Please fell free to ask any questions you come up with as you go through this adventure. If we can give you some insight or point you in the right direction - we'll be glad to help. We hope to take our first trip with our Sovereign this summer. Have fun!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Good thing you live on the west coast, way too far for me to travel for parts. I am refurbishing a 67 Sovereign and love some the small changes in the 68. When I first started with Forums, I wondered why would some one own 2 to 4 AS's, The rebuild and refurbishing is a true art form that ends up reflecting you or in my case my wife. The Sovereign may be her dream but I get to make her dream come true. At my age, making anyone happy is a real joy for me --- but making her happy and smiling is so much more. I pray ya'll have all the joy possible but remember there will be some trying times as well. Oh if I could only find some gutting a 66 - 68 sovereign around the SE.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
We do. When I get back in town I will send you a picture
Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you all for your help already. Tomorrow, I will contact anyone asking for parts individually with pics of the requested items. Thank you for the advice, everybody is so helpful

Tags
1968, sovereign