Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Malcolm. I did attach the 1/8" 4 x 8 sheets of red oak with rivets. Alot of them. should have purchased the air riveter. For the trim I went to a hardwood store that hundreds of different types of trim. I found one that could be bent and was 1/4" thick.Some of the bends were too tight for the trim so I ripped it standing up against the fence of my table saw down to 1/8". the top of the trim is slightly rounded at the edges. I also attached the trim with rivets. It was alot more time consuming than I anticipated. but its coming together finally. Im building a dinette in place of the front goucho. Im hoping to be at the point of ordering cushions and window coverings this week. Also thinking about the floor. Pergo is what I want to use but im going to have to see how much it weighs. In fact before I go much further I definitly need to get the unit weighed. Too make sure im not going overboard. thanks again for looking any words of encouragement at this point will give me the boost I need to keep going.
Ed
Ed Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Ed,

I have been thinking about what kind of finish flooring to use on my AS too. As a point of reference I can tell you that one competitive product to Pergo weighs in at about 1.5 lbs per square foot. Take a look at the Lumber Liquidator web site below to see the product. By the way their highest quality laminate flooring runs about $1.95 per square foot and I think would be every bit as good as Pergo from what I can tell. The $1.99 product has the foam underlay glued onto the bottem of the panels too.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/laminate.shtml

Another source for flooring that seems to have a lot of selection and good pricing is:

http://www.ifloor.com/index.html?session=

The above folks also have cork flooring that can be installed floating. It is more expensive than laminate but I think would be a pretty nice choice.

Let us know what you end up picking.

I am having to watch the weight of things that I add too. I have already added more weight with the Polyboard sub-floor that I installed. The new axles that I bought from Inland have a 10% capacity increas over the originals so I do have a little extra margin but I still will try to keep things light when I can.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Light at the end of the tunnel

I wanted to post some pictures of my progress. Been working on it alone for some time now. (Little bit everyday, alot on the weekends. I got my cooktop and sink back from the polisher today. the sink is so shiny I told my wife not to touch it. She said no problem you do the dishes hehehehe. The cooktop cleaned up pretty well. Had the grills (whatever you call them) ceramic coated. He assured me it would take the heat of the burners. Anyways I still have a few peices of trim to install but im ready to start my flooring this weekend. Just waiting on drapes and all the cusions to be made.
Also wanted to thank all the people who have been talking with me on here and who have been so helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2286570-R1-034-15A.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	10969   Click image for larger version

Name:	march162005supershineysink 032.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	10970  

Name:	march162005supershineysink 033.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	10971   Click image for larger version

Name:	march162005supershineysink 035.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	10972  

Name:	march162005supershineysink 028.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	10973   Click image for larger version

Name:	march162005supershineysink 030.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	10974  

Old 03-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

that first pic

Woops I did take a day off of working on my AS. I havent even seen my boat since I started this project.. but did make it out to our Channel Islands on Sat..that fish on top is a Lingcod.. Yummy...
Old 03-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

and another pic

one more pic looking towards the front.. huge table..Going to weigh her tomorrow before I do the flooring.. but I think im going to be ok
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	march162005supershineysink 036.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	10975  
Old 03-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow!

Looks great! That sink and cooktop are just polished? HOW did he do that? I thought mine had no more shine left (infact, it's actually starting to rust). Your sink must have a lot of stainless in it. Mine is pretty cheap aluminum, I think (although aluminum shouldn't rust, now should it.)

You must be proud of your efforts, it really shows!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:57 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

polishing job

I took my sink and cooktop to a place called "the polishing shop". An appropriate name for his business I would think. I have before pictures of the kitchen area. But the files are too large to upload here. the sink and cooktop were disgusting to put it mildly. I wanted to buy new but couldnt find a stainless cooktop. The guy made the metal much brighter than new. HE wasnt cheap. the job cost $400. but really made a difference. then I had some brushed stainless cut to put on the wall above the sink. The stainless did have some rust but he was able to clean it up really nice. Im looking forward to finishing as ive had my unit parked ilegally in front of my house for over 6 weeks. SO fart the police havent towed her and the neighbors have been very cool.
I appreciate you looking
Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wink Atta boy!

Looking GREAT!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Your trailer looks amazing. Have you considered using it for your business? It looks like a great display of workmanship. Then you could use it as a tax deduction (geuss my mind is there these days...)!!!

A couple of questions--is that table one of the ones that slides down to support a bed? If not, where is the sleeping area? Also, what are you planning with the bath?

Another treatment to consider is linoleum. Since you have all that really nice wood, you may not want a laminate wood on the floor. The linoleum comes in lots of rich colors--and can be matched to your soft furnishings color scheme. See Shari's website for a look at a sheet goods floor. We ended up getting tile, buying it from Ifloors.com in contractors packs was the cheapest.

Keep us up on what you do!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Your trailer looks amazing. Have you considered using it for your business? It looks like a great display of workmanship. Then you could use it as a tax deduction (geuss my mind is there these days...)!!!

A couple of questions--is that table one of the ones that slides down to support a bed? If not, where is the sleeping area? Also, what are you planning with the bath?

Another treatment to consider is linoleum. Since you have all that really nice wood, you may not want a laminate wood on the floor. The linoleum comes in lots of rich colors--and can be matched to your soft furnishings color scheme. See Shari's website for a look at a sheet goods floor. We ended up getting tile, buying it from Ifloors.com in contractors packs was the cheapest.

Keep us up on what you do!

Mary
Hi Mary thanks for looking. No need to use it for business as im a drywall contractor and already have an office and a warehouse. As for the tax deduction my deal is to claim as little as possible for deductions. One time many years ago I was audited and it was not good. In fact they cleaned out all my bank accounts. But 10 years has passed since then.
The lightest laminate floor I could find is in my garage already. so im going for it.
Yes the table drops down into a bed. I made another bed in the rear (I will post some pics of that also) As for the bathroom. Thats a sore spot with me as ive pretty much kept the door closed until recently. Its pretty ugly but im sure I will start on it real soon. anyways thanks for your words of encouragement. and im so grateful that soon my AS will be at the beach where it belongs with me fishing,napping, and eating.. Alot of each I hope
Old 03-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Looks incredible. Amazing job in such a short period of time. Dying to find out if my sink is stainless now.

Any chance you kept the goucho extensions and are willing to part with them?

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

gaucho extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
Looks incredible. Amazing job in such a short period of time. Dying to find out if my sink is stainless now.

Any chance you kept the goucho extensions and are willing to part with them?

you missed them by one hour. I just gave them away. Wish I had more for you.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
All I can say is Amazing
Old 03-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Me too! No problem, I just thought I would ask. Looking forward to more pictures as things progress! Looking great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Starman
you missed them by one hour. I just gave them away. Wish I had more for you.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

another picture

here are some more pics. the bathroom doors and rear wall look terrible in the photo but doesnt look like that in person. I think its the flash... the exterior pic is another huge can of worms I opened. that will be for another thread in another area of the website...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lyndasbdaydinnerhungryhunter 007.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	11277   Click image for larger version

Name:	lyndasbdaydinnerhungryhunter 009.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	11278  

Name:	lyndasbdaydinnerhungryhunter 010.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	11279   Click image for larger version

Name:	lyndasbdaydinnerhungryhunter 012.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	11280  

Name:	lyndasbdaydinnerhungryhunter 005.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	11281   Click image for larger version

Name:	lyndasbdaydinnerhungryhunter 011.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	11282  

Old 04-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Nice looking! You'll really love it when you get curtains and upholstery in.

As for the outside...all I can say is that you just got yourself a new hobby...I suppose you didn't know what to do with all your free time when you didn't have to work on the interior walls! LOL!

It will end up being the snazziest thing on the fish pier!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Starman
I wanted to post some pictures of my progress. Been working on it alone for some time now. (Little bit everyday, alot on the weekends. I got my cooktop and sink back from the polisher today. the sink is so shiny I told my wife not to touch it. She said no problem you do the dishes hehehehe. The cooktop cleaned up pretty well. Had the grills (whatever you call them) ceramic coated. He assured me it would take the heat of the burners. Anyways I still have a few peices of trim to install but im ready to start my flooring this weekend. Just waiting on drapes and all the cusions to be made.
Also wanted to thank all the people who have been talking with me on here and who have been so helpful.
HOLY COW is that shiny! I needed my sunglasses to look at the pictures! What a wonderful job, Ed!
Have you posted any other pictures of your work? It has got to be AMAZING!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Lookin GooD!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281