Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Middleton , Wisconsin
Gutted Argosy

Hi. I'm new.

I have another thread about the tow vehicle.

I'm not...restoring, the Argosy interior.

I replaced the vinyl upper interior caps with hand cut and hand sanded aluminum. I have unlimited free aluminum skin material, same thickness as the original. I'm thinking all hand sanded aluminum interior. The flooring is dark oak, but it's not in yet. I'm considering running the dark oak along the top center strip, I think it would look good.

I'm going to run water and gas stubs, polished copper lines, on both sides of the trailer in case I want to move stuff.

I want to replace the inner fiberglass wheelwells with something solid. Stainless maybe.

I will be making my own curtains and doing all the upholstery work, so I can do whatever I want, I'm open to cool ideas. I'm pretty good with an industrial machine, so no worries.

I'm considering making a copper Japanese soaking tub,I have an English Wheel and I can braze and silver solder, but copper sheet is pricey. The tub I want is 3 grand though, lol. Maybe worth learning to work that copper. I'm not sure yet.

Nothing of the original interior will be left. It was a mess, the trailer sat in a field for years, and someone ripped out the back window and frame. Ive repaired the outer skin, but animals got in and wrecked it. I might as well make something interesting.

I have 0 experience with interior design.

I have strange tastes, lol, but I'll try to listen to good advice on the interior. I probably need advice. Right now I'm leaning toward all aluminum/stainless/copper with seventies color palette trim and upholstery.

It looks crazy, even in my head, but I'm oddly drawn to it lol.

So. Nice to meet everyone. I'm looking to be full-time this time next year, between here (Wis) and Arizona. So much to do!
BadCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Welcome to the Argosy club! An Argosy is all about a different eclectic taste so you made a good choice.

Your Argosy, like my ‘75 26’ likely had a lightweight interior of 1/4” ply with vinyl covering, extruded aluminum used for framing or 1x1 wood and vinyl covered aluminum skins.

The vinyl skins can be stripped but you may find it easier to reskin with fresh aluminum. Your subfloor was either 3/4 or 5/8” ply. You didn’t mention the condition of your frame & subfloor which typically have rot issues. Also your axles after 40 yrs are likely due for replacement especially considering the weight the materials you are considering will add. The 26’ comes with 2 2800# axles.

There are many alternative materials you can choose to keep it light: eg Coosa for subfloor, 3mm composite aluminum for interior partitions/shelves and you’ll find lots of innovative approaches on several of the prior build threads (search for smokelessjoe’s contemporarizing thread of a 26’ Argosy).
Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Middleton , Wisconsin
I'm halfway through replacing the subfloor. Frame is beautiful, still shiney.

Mine had 5/8 ply, with a brutal orange shag, no idea of factory. No rot, but animals holes.

I have tons of aluminum rolls, 17 inch wide, and some rolls of semi trailer skin that's 4 foot wide. I could build trailers. I'd need more rivets lol.

Should I just replace the axles on principle? It towed super smooth when I picked it up. Dead stable.

I was just gonna steal signs for aluminum partitions.

I'm redoing it all, but I'm going to try to keep that 70's vibe.
BadCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
I know what you mean, it always feels smooth from the drivers seat. The materials in the axle tube harden over time and those 10,000 rivets start to take a beating.