Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
TOME , New Mexico
Gut - 1967 Overlander?

I am about to start my planning process for my 67 Overlander. One issue I have is not enough beds. I am thinking of gutting all of the trailer except the bathroom and starting fresh.
Option 1:Moving all the kitchen items to the door side of the trailer, and possibly adding bunk beds in the 'bedroom' area. Replacing gaucho with futon, sleeper sofa or dinette set that converts into a bed.
Option 2: keeping kitchen the way it is, just replace oven with convection microwave, take out closet in bedroom area and replace with single bed. (do they make single beds? My husband says yes, but I've never heard of it ). And replace gaucho with the choices listed above?
I am somewhat handy (rancher's daughter) and will be doing most of the work myself.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Gut?

Greetings guadalupegrl!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guadalupegrl View Post
I am about to start my planning process for my 67 Overlander. One issue I have is not enough beds. I am thinking of gutting all of the trailer except the bathroom and starting fresh.
Option 1:Moving all the kitchen items to the door side of the trailer, and possibly adding bunk beds in the 'bedroom' area. Replacing gaucho with futon, sleeper sofa or dinette set that converts into a bed.
Option 2: keeping kitchen the way it is, just replace oven with convection microwave, take out closet in bedroom area and replace with single bed. (do they make single beds? My husband says yes, but I've never heard of it ). And replace gaucho with the choices listed above?
I am somewhat handy (rancher's daughter) and will be doing most of the work myself.

As delivered from the factory, your Overlander would have had either two beds or three depending upon its configuration (a D in the VIN indicates double with two beds or a T in the VIN indicates twins with three beds). It seems that more twins were built than doubles. With the twin arrangements, there are two "twin" beds in the center bedroom with a front lounge that pulls out and makes a generous (for RV standards) double-bed. The double arrangement includes a pull-out double bed in the center bedroom area with a front pull-out lounge like the twin arrangement. Either configuration could have been ordered with hammock-bunks over the bed(s) in the mid-ship bedroom. There are a number of threads here on the Forums that deal with adding bunk(s) to coaches that either didn't have the option or for coaches where the original hamock bunks have disappeared.

Whether you choose to gut the coach or retain as much of its original furnishings is a totally personal decision that may be guided by the condition of the original furnishings. When I purchased my 1964, I sought out a coach with interior in very good condition as I liked the original floorplan and furnishings . . . if you find that the interior/furnishing aren't to your taste, there are many options from total gut to changing the tone of the stains utilized on the wood, changing out softgoods, etc. If your coach is usable in its current state, I would suggest using it a few times to see how its original configuration works for your needs . . . it can be surprising how useful the original floorplans can be once you discover how everything works. Converting the front lounge to bed can be a little difficult the first few times, but once mastered it is no more difficult to convert than the typical sofa-bed.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There is a wealth of knowledge on 67' Overlanders on my buddy TomW's web site-http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/AirstreamIndex.htm-where he documented the rehab of his Overlander. IIRC, he made a small change to something about the center beds but kept the trailer basically as is came from the factory. Remember the more you change the longer before you can camp. Double the money you think things will cost and multiply your time by 4 and you will be pretty close.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I would also advise you to be careful of changing weight distribution in your trailer. Moving the kitchen to a different location requires balancing out the trailer side to side and front to back. You also have to keep in mind where water tanks, and connections are in that scenario. It can be done with some thought. Sofa beds bought from a store are HEAVY , so built-ins are better as they are lighter. Anything is do-able if you plan it. I have seen people build bunk beds in and they work well for families.

Kay
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
TOME , New Mexico
Thank you guys for your input. I think I will keep the layout the same, with a few small changes. 1) change oven (that doesn't work) into a convection microwave.
2) take out closets in bedroom and replace twin with a gaucho or futon.
And of course paint, change upholstery, and take out carpet and replace with wood laminate flooring that my mom had left over from redoing her home flooring. Wish me luck! I'm sure it won't be as easy as I think it will be, but I've got the fire lit and am rating to go! Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not to repeat what Minno said, but try not to add any additional weight to your trailer. The frame and axles are designed to carry a specified weight, anything you add in the remodel will subtract from what you can carry in supplies, gear, and tank fluids.

doug k

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander