Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Gun Racks?

Has anyone got any brilliant ideas for storing my rifles and shotguns when on the road? I have a '69 Overlander, twin beds.

I'm hoping for a long road trip this fall (actually a series of trips with occasional stops back home) that would have me hunting elk, deer, and upland game. In addition, I would probably end up doing some trap and skeet shooting. So, I need to store at least two rifles and two shotguns, maybe more (maybe many more if a particular friend comes along). Storage needs to protect the guns from each other (no rubbing and banging), and be as secure as is reasonably possible in a trailer.

My initial thoughts were (1) treat one of the closets as a gun safe, by installing some brackets to hold each rifle/shotgun, with shockcord to keep them in place, and install a cabinet lock, as well as a trigger or bolt lock on each weapon (2) use the wheel well spaces, and just put each rifle in a case, or at elast a padded sleeve, put a padlock on the cover and again with trigger/bolt locks. The trigger locks would mainly be a slight added deterrent as well as simple safety feature.

Would also need ammo storage (cool, dry place, preferably with a lock).

Who has already solved this problem?
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Out of sight and out of others minds. They are plenty of cubby holes with room for a mini vault and to safely tuck a long arm away. You will just have to find what works for you. I am not going to advertise my hideaway spots. A casual thief would have some trouble finding my handgun/valuables vault or AR.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I have a hideout for my two handguns while on the road but long guns are more difficult. I have a RAM truck with side locked Ram Boxes. I've heard inserts are available for long gun storing. These boxes are great & very popular with hunters & fisherman for storing rods also waterproof and very secure, although a crow bar would bust them open so discretion is a must.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Out of sight and out of others minds. They are plenty of cubby holes with room for a mini vault and to safely tuck a long arm away. You will just have to find what works for you. I am not going to advertise my hideaway spots. A casual thief would have some trouble finding my handgun/valuables vault or AR.
Me too.

Did you want a rack for them to travel in or to hang them from at your hunting grounds?

I'd not leave them up while traveling....too much bouncing around. I'd stow them properly in their rugs or cases for travel.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
I was hoping to avoid using cases while travelling, since cases take up so much space, and space is always at a premium. I figure the problem is pretty much the same as the storage problem at home. Given enough time a determined thief can bust their way through anything, but even a steel locker slows them down enough to make stealing my guns far less feasible (and attractive since my guns are not particularly valuable).

Out of sight is definitely important. Adding a layer of security seems worthwhile to me. Would it be possible to harden one of the closets? Sufficiently to make forced entry a time consuming affair?
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
out of sight is the best thing if they know you have them they will find them best not to let outsiders know you are hauling them don't have a bunch of stickers on your truck that you are a hunter sportsman .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
slinky tube.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
A lot wasted space in the newer ones behind the couch and under the wardrobe that are good for hiding things. Just saying.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would raise the twin beds about 4". Install a moisture barrier. Then put a hinged lid which locks. The mattress would lay on the lid. Customize the compartment to fit the gun storage need with foam or other none abrasive material. Just raise the lid, mattress and all to store or remove the guns.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote