Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
This is worth it

CA or Rainsong is the only way to go for our camping crowd. Leave the Martin and Gibsons in a safe place if marginal conditions are there. That carbon fiber Will suprise you.

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have never considered taking my 70's Martin in the Airstream,but if I do I will be in its hardshell case. I might consider it next yr if i know others might bring their guitars. I have not had a chance to play with others for yrs.

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
My old Yamiha beater rides in the tub in a soft shell . Over the years it has become my favorite.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
We REALLY should have an Airstream Jam

I have room for everyone if we can put an acoustic jam together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp Bluegrass Parking lot 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	88967  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
When we have our son with us, he keeps his guitar in a hard case beside the bed in our rear bed model. He brings his Taylor if conditions are favorable and his cheapie if they are not.

I was inspired to look into the carbon guitars. Wow, they are beautiful. Expensive as well. I guess the only carbon we will be toting with our Airstream will be our bikes. They ride just fine in the bed of the TV. No hard case needed.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Wish we played some thing. Only thing that comes from our A/S (inside or out) is the CD player - with really old music. Do wish we were a little more - today.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
OK... Some really great thoughts from everyone for sure... But the truth is I find myself repeating Mary's (my wife) comment back to me about our treasured AS trailer, and our taking her up to the Boundary Waters every year for a couple of trips. That trip entails 25 miles of bad gravel roads! Really hard on the trailer for sure... She keeps reminding me as I bemoan the damage to the front of the trailer... "We didn't buy this to leave it at home in the driveway. Let's just really enjoy ourselves and do what we can to mitigate the damage". SHE IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! I take my two favorite guitars with me when we camp with that same philosophy. I treat them well by traveling with them in a very good hardshell case and keep them clean and well humidified. One is a Taylor 12 string and the other a less expensive but solid wood six (with a solid American Cedar top - very fun to play). Both instruments are the kind of things I would truly hate to have damaged... Then again... I keep hearing my wife telling me they are of marginal value at home where I do not have the time to play and enjoy them like I do when we're out for a great camping trip!

Happy camping (and jamming)
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
Where we , Park it!
Guitars in AS - please don't let them rock 'n roll on their own!

We travel a lot and take the instruments along that we love to play, as any poor cousins of our instruments is a weak substitute for the enjoyment of playing. They always travel in a hard shell case when not in use. When we're stationary, we have small folding stands that reside up against the wall.

But please, ensure that your precious cargo is well secured! The following is a worst case scenario and it did happen to us.

A little over a year ago, we were sideswiped by another driver while towing our 22' Argosy, which resulted in us doing a 270 with the truck & trailer down an embankment.
Back up 2 weeks before the accident. We were planning to be away over 2 months & planned to carry our guitar & bass with us. We had the perfect closet for storing these instruments in the rear bathroom closet. These same two instruments had previously traveled in the closet of our 34' trailer. On a rough roads in CA, one of the cases tried to open the closet door; it didn't escape as I always tie the door handles together with velcro.
So, in prep for our trip with the Argosy, I insisted that Gerry bolt several lengths of double sided velcro to the bulkhead wall of the closet. With these, we tightly lashed the two guitar cases to the wall so that they wouldn't move.
After the accident, the inside of the trailer was in turmoil. Even the cabinets had dislodged from the wall. However, the two guitars were still lashed to the bulkhead, surviving the roll with only a few scratches on the case (they managed better than I did!)
Anything that wasn't secured didn't fare that well.
I don't wish what happened to us on any guitar in a trailer - even if your guitar is in a hardshell case, packed in a closet, please ensure that it can't rock 'n roll around the trailer, open doors, etc. Rough roads, sudden stops, etc. have a way of moving things around.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
I purposely don't travel with any of my guitars in the Airstream but I am thinking of carrying my 1951 LG-1 as it doesn't use up much room... But realisticaly I have been and traveled with some very good (some actually famous) guitars that ride in buses, have 1st class airline tickets and their own frequent flier accounts, ride in trucks sometimes, and they survive to play again each night in many different places a year....Enjoy your Guitars, Who are you saving them for????
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Countrysong, that is so cool, that you have an LG-1, had a '64 LG-1 myself for many years.
They are really a great guitar, considering that they were only a step, or two above the "entry" level Gibsons.
Happy pickin'.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Probably if you want a "Airstream" Guitar one of the Ovations would be a good choice..You can run a truck over them and they still sound OK... MY Gibson LG-1 was the First Guitar that I ever owned that would hold a tune --My Mother paid $90.00 for it retail.... It's been worked on by Randy Wood a number of years ago in N'ville ..he made a good guitar a great little guitar.. OK enough... you guys should just go pick and have fun -- I'll just listen...
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
I have one of those 3/4 size gretch cowboy series guitars. Its inexpensive, smallish and sounds great and is super fun to play. An added bonus? it fits nicely above the bed in the overhead storage in our 2008 27FB. A couple of not so great pillows that came with the trailer serves as its cushions from banging around. Have yet to have a problem. Knock on wood.

Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote