Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
General Cleaning - Where to start

We've just become the proud parents of a 1984 25' Soverign. The unit is in really nice shape but it needs to be cleaned from top to bottom before we use it. I'm wondering if there is a thread started somewhere here about suggestions for cleaning a used trailer after you have gotten it home. Thanks in advance.

Tim
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There are, I've seen them. Search for terms such as tsp or citris cleaner, etc.
I know some people have had to start with a scoop shovel and a roll-off dumpster. Hopefully yours isn't too bad.
Congrats on the new trailer!
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Start on the inside. If you start on the outside, you will track mud back in.
On the inside, start at the back, and work your way to the front. Toss everything you are not going to keep into a garbage bag (or ten), and haul it out. After you are done tossing out the PO's junque, you can start cleaning. I've used diluted purple stuff, 409, windex, even bleach.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Adding to what Terry said, I have a 74 and I've learned several things about cleaning
1. Always test what ever you are going to clean with on what you're going to clean in an inconspicuous place. Time, chemistry and grime, can be an awesome mix and will take off things you don't want taken off. Gently does it.
2. The drapes can be laundered but you have to do so very gently. My wife rolls the hooks inside, lets them soak in a mild detergent solution, rinses and hangs to dry. This has gotten rid of the "rust stains" several times that appear over a period of time. You will need a supply of hooks etc as these get brittle and break off and you will have to replace some of them.

That's my two hints.
Sarge
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I used Mean Green on the inside of my 72 Overlander and my 65 Tradewind with great results. Here is a spoy behind the fride. It cleans very well and doesnt harm the surface. I used Orange Glow for wood to clean all the cabinet doors. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	behind fridge.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	59702  
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #6

1973 21' Globetrotter
Palo Alto , California
I have just finished the cleaning of my 73 Globetrotter that had sat unused for 11 years. Yes start back to front and from top to bottom, I put down a plastic drop cloth to protect the carpet. If your trailer is the bonded vinyl that has become sticky from age it can be cleaned pretty easy.
I used Simple Green but now it comes in Lemon..spray right from the bottle and wait a few min to dig in. Then use a wet dishwash sponge with the green scrungy side very gently to remove the grime. Second is to wipe over with a nice microfiber towel and keep rinsing it out in a bucket of warm water. Its best to do sections at a time so you can see where you have been. Go have a tuna sandwich then come back and run your hand over the just cleaned surface...you will find the spots you missed when your hand stops suddenly in the sticky ick. Finally when really happy its clean go over with a light coat of MOP&GLOW. This will make it look shiny and repel dirt for a long time....hope this helps!
Bubba
Bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We used a LOT of Power Spray Orange citrus cleaner we picked up at Camping World on the interior of our Argosy. It works wonders getting the black crud (mold) off the walls. When we removed the bathroom vanity, the amount of black crud hidden from view was real scarey. The orange cleaner got it off real quick.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Cleaning Interior

I used the Magic Eraser sponge to clean the deep dirt on the walls of my '76 21' Globetrotter - expensive but they work quite well. For the deep cleaning of grime I first used a mixture of Dawn and Vinegar and hot water - used 409 where needed.
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Before doing any cleaning, I'd seriously consider replacing the rubber seals around all your windows and your door. I cleaned and cleaned the inside of our 1970 when we first got it, then after our trip (up a long and winding gravel road) camping, I discovered that it was filthy inside again - full of dust... Our seals were hard and cracked and let in a bunch of dust. We had to learn the hard way. Don't let all your cleaning go to waste!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
leopattie endorses: Murphy's Oil Soap for wood floors and cabinets, oh yeah