Old 07-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
General ?? about interior systems

We are completely renovating this '67 Safari and we have never even used an RV or A/S so installing the electricity, gas and plumbing from scratch is a shot in the dark since the previous owner has undone the original work and turned it into a mess as far as I can see. The systems were all pretty much unassembled when we bought it so we don't have much to go on there. They were redoing them their own way!!!

To learn basic usage, I am considering this video tape:
http://rvresources.safeshopper.com/25/41.htm?988
and I wondered if it would be applicable to Airstreams or are they too unique?

They also have one on electricity that I might consider, too.

We need to learn some real basics and this seems like a place to start and I didn't know of an Airstream product like this. The owners manual doen't help that much, besides this is more updated to today's market than the '67 market.

I would appreciate some input before buying this thing and I sure hope this isn't considered any kind of spam.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
It looks to me to be a how to use your appliances book more than a how to install LP gas and 120 volt power type thing.

I would reccomend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It is a more general "this is how it works" kind of thing.

The other thing to think about is that the 4 systems in the trailer are much like the systems we have in our homes, so many of the same types of reference manuals would apply.

The 4 systems I am thinking of are 120V power, Plumbing, LP Gas, and 12 VDC.

I am also sure that if you post questions here on how do I do, you will at the least get pointed in the right direction. You have aleady done the hard part, you know your limits. That is good!

Lastly, there are courses offered by technical schools and some RV dealers on becoming an RV Mechanic. If you want real hands on teaching that may me an option.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I didn't expect it to tell me how to install anything...I just want some idea as to what to expect in how to use it in an rv park...like connecting electricity, catv, computer, drainage, using gas, parking it,...real basic stuff...we have never even been to an rv park and only backed it up the driveway.

I know that sounds weird but we bought a sail boat and taught ourselves to sail it too and sailed for 20 years...we do these things!!!

I didn't know there was such a good, illustrated book on systems...I'm going to get this...thanks a bunch. If we can build a whole building with electricity and plumbing then we can renovate a trailer with enough info and there are so many good folks here.

I just don't quite get 12v electricty and converters and all...and I only know how to fire with gas on my pottery kiln to 2000º!!! That won't do.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Blue Beret on:

Lexxy,

One of the best sources of how to do all that you mentioned is the WBCCI. All you need to do is attend a local unit rally and you will have may good natured members that will be more than willing to help "teach". You might even want to contact a local unit and explain you would like to visit their rally with this in mind before you pull the trailer. I would bet the rally coordinator would be happy to see you and would get a seasond member to teach you as much as you can absorb.

Blue Beret off:

Airstreams are diffrent, and if you have not had one before getting advice fro a veteran can save much time, frustration, and in some cases money.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I would love to do that but I am sort of ashamed of an empty a/s with just a nice pergo floor and nothing but bare walls and wires hanging out. What a laugh. I guess we could drag out the old sleeping bags and air mattresses and pretend it's a tent...on second thought it's not such a bad idea!! I could do that...I'm not that proud or I wouldn't ask so many questions here.

I've had my application for a while but we were so far behind in getting this thing in working order that I hadn't sent it in. I will do that tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:53 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Hi Lexxy!

A quick thought... every one of us here has an Airstream in need of repairs, even the brand new ones. Even if everything is working right at the moment, they all need repairs eventually. They all need rennovation eventually. The great thing about this forum is the combined knowledge and the number of different ways folks have tackled similar problems... AND that they're willing to share their knowledge.

Your Airstream is no different than the rest; it's just that you're willing to do more projects in yours than most of us have to do to ours. The knowledge for just about any task you undertake is out here though, both with conventional and novel solutions.

Don't be concerned about what you haven't accomplished yet in your trailer. All it takes is time and money. If you enjoy using your trailer by sleeping in sleeping bags on the floor and using a camp stove for now, then use the trailer now! Rebuild it as you get the time. The Airstream community is as much about the people as the aluminum.

Contact your local WBCCI unit and have a ball.

Roger
Old 07-18-2003, 07:46 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Thanks...it's a good idea...I'm sending the application in today...