Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Gaucho vs Dinette - pros and cons

Hello all;
I am thinking about a change in the safari. Can I get any imput on are you happier with a change from goucho to dinette and why.
Thanks Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I adore our dinette, I can't imagine not having it. I love having the option to have a table, or breaking it down into a bed, or even leaving the table out entirely and using the space for a dog crate, whatever we need on that trip. Most of the time we use it as a table, but it's great to have the flexibility, especially in a tiny trailer where space is at a premium.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with Stef...for all the same reasons, we love the dinette we added in place of the gaucho in our GT.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Thanks

Thanks for the quick replys;
I think a dinette would have to work better for me. As I hope to soon have a lady friend camping with me I think the change would have more bed space for two. Also when the children and I are camping a booth style table would work much better.
Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Put one vote in for the gaucho! We love having a gaucho, it makes for a very "roomy" front area. We have 2 side fold up/down tables to use when eating. Or of course the gaucho folds down into a bed, and has great storage room underneath. And a comfortable spot to stretch out and watch tv or nap!
Annette
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rockville , Maryland
OK, OK, so I'm a newbie. What is a gaucho? I must have one in my 77 Tradewind as I don't have a dinette, just a fold up and out table. I'm surmising that it is a sort of bed/couch that goes all the way across the front?
doctormark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormark View Post
OK, OK, so I'm a newbie. What is a gaucho? I must have one in my 77 Tradewind as I don't have a dinette, just a fold up and out table. I'm surmising that it is a sort of bed/couch that goes all the way across the front?
A gaucho is a fold-out sofa.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
We have a gaucho and will be traveling with two kids under 10 and two dogs. One dog is the size of human (Great Dane). The extra floor space provided by the gaucho and fold down table should be really nice during the day when we are all moving around in it.

However, we haven't tested out the trailer with the kids yet.... My daughter will sleep on the gaucho in couch mode and my son will sleep on a cot that folds away during the day. The smaller dog will sleep in the bedroom or bathroom area and the Dane will sleep in the kitchen area..... so we will see how it works.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
When shopping for RV's I thought I'd really want both a sofa and a dinette. Our Airstream has only a gaucho, the fold-down expanding table, and two folding chairs. I wasn't sure how well that would work out but it turned out great.

Normally its just the two of us so the table is just folded out to the first position, leaving plenty of space in the living room. On the rare occasions that we have guests for dinner and can't eat outside, we'll get out the second folding chair and expand the table to seat four.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Dinette all the way

Nicki.

Here are a couple of photos of our before and after front end. We also have 2 kids and the setup we use works really well for them. And it allows all of us enough room to eat inside if the weather is not cooperating. There is also enough room for the whole family to sit at the front without getting in each others way. Good luck.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 039.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	109029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 044.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	109030  

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	109031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	109032  

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	109033  
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
A fact to consider is that a gaucho preserves floor space. The corners of a U dinette are not really usable for seating. With a gaucho and some folding chairs you can seat 5, with a dinette you may not be able to as comfortably, because 5 will not fit on the U and there is no floor space left for chairs.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy67 View Post
Nicki.

Here are a couple of photos of our before and after front end. We also have 2 kids and the setup we use works really well for them. And it allows all of us enough room to eat inside if the weather is not cooperating. There is also enough room for the whole family to sit at the front without getting in each others way. Good luck.

Tim
what did you do with all of this shelf/cabinet/table set up?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Looks great.... much better use of space..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Very Vintage

Quote:
Nicki.

Tim
Tim,
Absolutely Gorgeous!! Makes me drool!! Excellent workmanship.

However, our trailer is really vintage...really, really vintage. The only things done to the trailer before we got it was new white carpet installed and one gaucho cover replaced. Although, we will not be hunting up olive green shag carpet, we are trying to keep it as original as possible so long as it works for our family. And the Great Dane has a huge impact on how you use the space. He is not allowed on the furniture so floor space is at a premium.

We will be packing folding chairs for the other side of the table and we also have a rear gaucho for extra seating. Time will tell... until we really get out and use it we just don't know. I really do love what you've done!!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
what did you do with all of this shelf/cabinet/table set up?
Skip.

I still have the corner cabinet with tambour door but I turfed the gaucho. Not only was it dated but it had a curious smell about it.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Thank you everyone else for the nice comments. It's coming along nicely and there will be some minor changes to the dinette in the near future.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Nicki.

Tim
Nice work, Tim.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Taste

The end dinette is more comfortable than the side dinette. It has more leg room. Side dinettes are normally placed over wheel wells, which means the outside seats are comfortable for those under 4 feet tall. In newer units the widebody also comes into play in lengths of 25 feet or more; again being more generous size.

I have the 25 FB SE, and wrestle the dinette up and down as the fancy hits - it isn't hard, but one does risk snapping a fingernail, crushing said finger or skinning one's shin against the edge of the table.

I do a lot of work on my computer and sew, and I find the dinette table a tad too high to be comfortable for either. I played with lowering the dinette by using a "side lift" hydraulic arm, but it wasn't sturdy enough to sew with a serger, so I took it out.

I saw a rare-ish 31' model Colonial was selling one time which stongly appealed to me. The table was attached to a groove along the side wall and there were four folding chairs. It could be moved back and forth several feet or taken down completely. I like that flexibility.

I've been playing with the idea of replacing the dinette with two high-end leather modern recliners and a sturdy round pedestal table, none of which would be attached to the floor. I'd put them on their sides and strap them down when traveling. Of course I found the perfect recliners.... for $1700 each (retch, gag, ptoooie)!

And then I might want to sell this one and get the 27 footer with twins.
Must go now. Got to buy some lotto tickets!

Seriously, if your unit is stripped down, consider a nice card table, four comfortable folding chairs and a couple of inflatable beds. Use whatever configuration suits a given trip and your fellow travelers!

Happy Trails! Paula
Old 08-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The end dinette is more comfortable than the side dinette. It has more leg room. Side dinettes are normally placed over wheel wells, which means the outside seats are comfortable for those under 4 feet tall. In newer units the widebody also comes into play in lengths of 25 feet or more; again being more generous size.

I have the 25 FB SE, and wrestle the dinette up and down as the fancy hits - it isn't hard, but one does risk snapping a fingernail, crushing said finger or skinning one's shin against the edge of the table.

I do a lot of work on my computer and sew, and I find the dinette table a tad too high to be comfortable for either. I played with lowering the dinette by using a "side lift" hydraulic arm, but it wasn't sturdy enough to sew with a serger, so I took it out.

I saw a rare-ish 31' model Colonial was selling one time which stongly appealed to me. The table was attached to a groove along the side wall and there were four folding chairs. It could be moved back and forth several feet or taken down completely. I like that flexibility.

I've been playing with the idea of replacing the dinette with two high-end leather modern recliners and a sturdy round pedestal table, none of which would be attached to the floor. I'd put them on their sides and strap them down when traveling. Of course I found the perfect recliners.... for $1700 each (retch, gag, ptoooie)!

And then I might want to sell this one and get the 27 footer with twins.
Must go now. Got to buy some lotto tickets!

Seriously, if your unit is stripped down, consider a nice card table, four comfortable folding chairs and a couple of inflatable beds. Use whatever configuration suits a given trip and your fellow travelers!

Happy Trails! Paula
Paula,
I have been toying around with about the same idea. What do you think of these from RVSurplus? Lot less than $1700 each. RV Surplus
Bill
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
Paula,
I have been toying around with about the same idea. What do you think of these from RVSurplus? Lot less than $1700 each. RV Surplus
Bill
Yes, I saw several similar to that one.

Here's what I was considering (not in lime green however)

Kiri Recliner Chair, Lafer Recliners, Lafer Recliners, New York City

IMHO, a separate ottoman makes a big footprint. You could do ONE but not two in the place of the dinette. I've actually sat on one of the Kiri's and the flip out foot rest is quite comfortable. To have two recliners, even without ottomans, would require you to settle for a very small table. Perhaps a gateleg or a 20 inch round, or a big TV tray table. I might have to shorten the side couch a few inches too... though that would be limited by the position of the furnace.

Of course you have a 34 and I have a 25.... makes a big difference

Paula