Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Gaucho / Convert-a-bed question

We're in the process of re-installing everything back into our 1981 Excella II after a fairly major update of the floor. We're putting the gaucho bed back in the front living area under the window. When I originally took it apart and pulled it out I misplaced some pieces. One thing was a bracket that is attached to the articulating arm that holds the back in the upright position and also allows the back to be laid down for the bed position. This was no problem as I had a local welding shop fabricate one using the surviving piece on the other side. The other piece I'm missing - not sure if it's lost for good or simply hiding in the shop somewhere - is the torsion spring (I think that's how you spell it). The torsion spring is a steel rod that is bent in such a way that it goes under the seat but also is angled up behind the backrest.

My questions are:

1) What is the purpose of the torsion spring? Is it simply to give support to the backrest?

2) What keeps the seat rails from sliding out of the their track when you pull the bed out? Seems like if you pull it far enough then it will simply keep on coming off of the rollers.

3) Similar to #2 - what keeps it locked in the upright/couch position? There doesn't seem to be anything that really holds it in place when it's upright. Leaning back on the backrest can actually cause the seat to move forward and if it's being put into the bed position.

I suspect that the problem is that the torsion spring isn't installed but I'm not sure. This is my first re-do. After removing the gaucho I was very thorough about taking pictures as items were removed and much more careful about storage - operable word being 'After'...

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!

boo_n_sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Here's the assembly diagram for the Converta-bed from the service manual:

I don't see anything that keeps the frame from running off of the track if you pull it too far OR anything that holds it in the upright position. Maybe there's some trick to pulling it out and putting it up that I don't know about - I wouldn't be surprised as I pretty much know nothing about how this works.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Not sure how I missed item #35 on the assembly diagram! We've fashioned a stopper out of wood and screwed it to the underside of the seat frame just behind the plastic gliders. I'm guessing that the original stopper was also plastic but they weren't on our frame - at least I can't remember if they were when it took it out this past Feb.

We also added some blocks behind the backrest uprights so that when it's in the bed position there is more support on that side. The blocks are attached to the uprights so when it's laid down they reset on the seat frame.

It all works much better now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	109750