Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Galley Backsplash- Glass or ceramic ok??

We have purchased a 1975 Tradewind Land Yacht and are planning our renovation. Has anyone used glass or lighter ceramic/porcelain tiles as a galley backsplash? Would it be too heavy. Is the wall strong enough or would a backer board be needed and possible? Thanks for any advice. This is all new to us. We will probably have many questions.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
A good mastic should adhere the tile just fine to the wall. It is also flexible so should handle the movement of the trailer. I doubt if you would want to use backer board.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
We have purchased a 1975 Tradewind Land Yacht and are planning our renovation. Has anyone used glass or lighter ceramic/porcelain tiles as a galley backsplash? Would it be too heavy. Is the wall strong enough or would a backer board be needed and possible? Thanks for any advice. This is all new to us. We will probably have many questions.

You will enjoy your new 1975 Airstream. They are fun to remodel. You may want to look at an entire kitchen remodel. What I found in my 1976 Sovereign was that the sink and stove area looked pretty bad and the old Tambor cabinet doors had to go. The counter itself needed to be strengthened and more securely attached to the walls. The fridge was old and looked bad and the overhead cabinets and the old microwave cabinet (in the 70' microwaves were really big) was going to waste. So I redid the whole thing including a small tile back splash with Corian counter top and under mount sink. Added oak cabinets with pull out drawers. Replaced the old fridge with a new stainless steel unit and that huge microwave cabinet is now my bar with a roll top door and a pull out shelve. Along the way I also added two recliners up front and new floor and closet doors. Here are a few pictures. Good luck with you projects.

Airstream Interior 2010.pdf
Old 11-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Tile backsplash

I re did my 1976 kitchen. After about a year of cooking especially bacon I decided to tile the back splash. I was concerned if vibration and flexing would become a problem. Also the curve was a concern. My take on it was to go to Costco and buy tile that mixes glass and ceramic strips about one inch by three/ four inch long in 12 inch sheets. This allows for the curve. I went to the local hardware store and bought a sheet of decorative aluminum sheeting and pop rivet it to the wall and the mastic will press behind through the many holes. After about two years it has held up well and really accents the kitchen. Behind the overhead vent I installed a strip LED light bar to accent the tile, cook area and kitchen and now is the focal point of my AS. Good Luck.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
I used stainless steel mosaic
Attached Thumbnails