Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Fuse for Protector LP Detector

I am having a problem with my Protechtor LP Detector on my 2005 Safari. It was sounding an audible alarm and the light was a constant orange/yellow. I took the leads off the detector to reset it and reassembled it. Now I get no sign the the detector is getting power.

There seems to be an inline 1 amp fuse but I cannot find where it is. I only find a white and a red wire without a fuse connection.

Does anyone know how and where to access this 1 amp fuse?

Larry

Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
just a guess.... try looking close to the battery or fuse panel.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71 View Post
I am having a problem with my Protechtor LP Detector on my 2005 Safari. It was sounding an audible alarm and the light was a constant orange/yellow. I took the leads off the detector to reset it and reassembled it. Now I get no sign the the detector is getting power.

There seems to be an inline 1 amp fuse but I cannot find where it is. I only find a white and a red wire without a fuse connection.

Does anyone know how and where to access this 1 amp fuse?

Larry
Never could find the fuse on mine, either. It's not in any of the fuse panels in my Interstate, and if it's an in-line fuse, it must be hidden behind/under some cabinetry that I don't want to dismantle. Assuming an in-line fuse holder was even installed, which there's no guarantee that it was.

I had a problem with my ProTechTor LP Gas detector on my very first trip in my Interstate. It started beeping one beep per minute, with the light on orange, which indicated a system fault. Problem was, I didn't have an owner's manual, until I found one available for download from the Atwood web page, after the trip was over. Only after I downloaded the manual did I find out that the orange light and one beep per minute indicated a system fault, and all I had to do was turn off all electric power in my Interstate for a minute, and the stupid LPG detector would reset itself.

How did you take the leads off yours without cutting the wires? On mine, that's the only way to disconnect it. No plugs anywhere that I can find, all the way from the detector back to where the wires disappear behind a cabinetry panel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ok well tonight I went to replace my lp alarm (every 6-7 years they say) and now I have no power at the wiring. I checked the new unit at the battery and it works. Where is this fuse? Did anyone find it?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Mine had a fuse in an inline holder inside the wall before I removed it and placed it in the trash.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I have a '97 Safari and the fuse is an in-line fuse. It is located in the battery compartment on the left side when looking into the access door and along the front wall.

Are you sure the problem isn't a low battery, this can cause the yellowlight condition with a beeping sound.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
dennis, that makes sense since the detector bypasses the disconnect switch.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Are you sure the problem isn't a low battery, this can cause the yellowlight condition with a beeping sound.
Just got home from the trailer storage place. Looked and Looked for a fuse holder- no success. I see your post and will return once I cool off from the heat. No at least in my case the battery is fully charged. They are kept on a charger and it keeps them conditioned and charged; so in essence, I am plugged in. I checked the LP detector at the battery and it comes on and flashes red for a while before going solid green. My old one flashed green. This one also does not say protechtor on it nor does it fit very well. I used the mount adapter they include. It works but looks loose just looking at it.

Location of fuse:

I will now look outside in the battery box for a fuse holder first. Then I guess the next step will be behind the couch where the electric comes into the interior.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I am not sure if I was clear enough. My Safari has the fuse holder is inside the battery compartment, which is actually inside the trailer and behind the couch, but can be accessed from the outside compartment door at the front of the trailer (behind the propane tanks). If I look under the couch I can not see the fuse holder as there is a panel that covers the battery compartment from the inside.

When this happened to me, when I was on the charger or "shore power" the condition did not manifest, but off the charger, once the battery drained slightly the yellow light came on and the audible beep could be heard. Took the battery down and had it tested, then replaced it and the problem with the sensor went away.

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison
Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
dennis, that makes sense since the detector bypasses the disconnect switch.

This view is from inside the trailer with the couch removed (I am replacing the flooring). The diagonal wire just under the wall plug and above the converter, is the fuse for the LP sensor.

In the picture (click for a larger view) you will see a black wire with a white tracer. Just behind the converter it is spliced to a red wire. If you follow that down and to the left you can make out the fuse holder behind the other red wires.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0250.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	184438  

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison
Old 04-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Dennis you are great. Thanks for the pick. I got home about an hour ago from my second trip over to the AS. I had to go under the couch, remove the panel and from there I found the single in-line 1 Amp fuse holder. The fuse was blown. Got a new fuse and put it all back together with a green light on my LP Monitor Alarm box.

Thanks to everyone. I hope the others found their fuse holder!