Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
full to queen size gaucho conversion

We are looking to convert our living room gaucho from full size to queen -- from the kind where you lay with your head at one arm rest and feet at the other, to one where your head is at the other to one where your head is at the wall and your feet go out into the room. Has anyone done this? I have talked to a couple of folks who say that the way to go is to build a bigger base for the bottom, then simply get sort of a second "spare" back to the gaucho that would live the space between the back and the wall during the day, and come out at night to somehow attach to an extension at the foot of the bed. Any thoughts on this? If someone has done this or has another idea, I would LOVE to hear about it! Oh, and I am attaching a picture of our current gaucho, so you can see what we are working with. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Curtain 101.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	182245  
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Not a bad idea. Don't know anything to help you with, but sure am interested in seeing how it turns out.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
One thing to remember is that a home style hide-a-bed has a mechanism that folds the mattress into the area beneath the cushions and takes up all that space clear to the floor.

This would mean that you wild lose the drawers beneath the gaucho. Also, in my 1983, the batteries and the Univolt are in that same area at the very front of the trailer. See:

Not saying that it won't work, just that you need to take clearing the batteries into consideration when you evaluate where the new sofa will be placed.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We did this for a while using a large ottoman as the fill-in piece. Later, though, We ended up deciding to replace it with an l-shaped couch from ikea (with storage under the short leg of the L, which ends up ender the front window and which we cut for batteries and converter) and with a trundle type pullout under the long side of the L which pulls out and pops up to make a queen with our heads at the front of the trailer. Then we added a chaise to make the L into a U. The chaise pulls out into an additional single bed. Katie
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Oh, I just noticed you have the same airstream we do! Ours is also an 89 excella. We have made many changes to ours to fit our large family. The bedroom is now a bunk room for our seven kids and we have the u-shaped seating and sleeping in the front (with a table in the center when we need it)-- we also added round sinks in the bath and the kitchen and most recently added a dishwasher.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
good lord -- seven kids in an Airstream??? two cats is plenty for me!