Old 02-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

front sofa info!!!

hi looking to recover my front sofa bed thing in a 72 ambassador . fits straight accross the front window . cant measure myself the trailer is in san dieago im in the uk ?? what ammount of material do i need for this task? cheers steve

Old 02-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
I'm not sure, so lets see if we can figure it out....
First, we need toknow the style.... ours in the kind where the back of the sofa rotates around and then comes flat, so both the front and back of the sofa back need covered. Are you planning on doing the arms to match? How about the end pieces, the things you see the front of and store bed linen etc in?
Sofa is likely 72 inches in length, now add twice the cushion depth.... plus another 3 or 4 inches for pulling and stapling etc.
Wait wait wait!! Are you doing this like a single bench style, not the divided cushion look that it started as? Can only give you a way to figure the bench style....
So now you need one piece about oh, lets see, maybe 72 + 12 (2 X 6 in cushion depth) + 3or4 for about 88 inches in length for the deck (seat) portion. Need second length the same for the back. Add in another 30 inches for slop and arms.... 88 X 2 = 176 + 30 = 206 divided by 36, about 5 3/4 yards, or about 5.25 meters. If you get 54 inch (1.4 m) wide cloth, you may deduct the last 30 inches (.75 m) as you will have enough without that!
Clear as mud, eh?
Maybe someone else can give you a closer estimate of need?

Elizabeth in Iowa

Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Got pictures of what you have? and or what you need?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Exclamation Huh???

Eljay, Elizabeth sounds like me.

Welshman, send pictures if possible. If anybody can talk you through it, it will be eljay.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Actually Cedars is just about right on with her measurements (and did it in metric too! ). It does depend on fabric and design though. And me? I just buy enough to do it twice over.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Eljay: I had my front and rear sofas recovered professionally but got 3 yards extra for those end pieces and back pieces that I thought I could do myself. One question, how do I get those end pieces off? They are straight across the front bottom of the sofa. It looks like the material is just put on the wood that is the pull out to make the sofa bed. I would love to post pictures but I am not digital literate yet. I got the camera but the sense to use it wasn't in the box with it. Judy
Old 02-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

recovering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
I'm not sure, so lets see if we can figure it out....
First, we need toknow the style.... ours in the kind where the back of the sofa rotates around and then comes flat, so both the front and back of the sofa back need covered. Are you planning on doing the arms to match? How about the end pieces, the things you see the front of and store bed linen etc in?
Sofa is likely 72 inches in length, now add twice the cushion depth.... plus another 3 or 4 inches for pulling and stapling etc.
Wait wait wait!! Are you doing this like a single bench style, not the divided cushion look that it started as? Can only give you a way to figure the bench style....
So now you need one piece about oh, lets see, maybe 72 + 12 (2 X 6 in cushion depth) + 3or4 for about 88 inches in length for the deck (seat) portion. Need second length the same for the back. Add in another 30 inches for slop and arms.... 88 X 2 = 176 + 30 = 206 divided by 36, about 5 3/4 yards, or about 5.25 meters. If you get 54 inch (1.4 m) wide cloth, you may deduct the last 30 inches (.75 m) as you will have enough without that!
Clear as mud, eh?
Maybe someone else can give you a closer estimate of need?

Elizabeth in Iowa
thanks to all the posts on my problem!!ill get the material as stated and add a little for good measure. many thanks ill let you know how i get on .thanks again steve.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Gosh Juel, I don't know for certain. I have 2 different airstreams with 2 different set-ups. I hope someone else will jump in and offer some insight.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Eljay: I had my front and rear sofas recovered professionally but got 3 yards extra for those end pieces and back pieces that I thought I could do myself. One question, how do I get those end pieces off? They are straight across the front bottom of the sofa. It looks like the material is just put on the wood that is the pull out to make the sofa bed. I would love to post pictures but I am not digital literate yet. I got the camera but the sense to use it wasn't in the box with it. Judy
Juel,
My unit is a little older than yours, but IIRC if you take the cushions off and look on the underside of the fabric covered piece there are screws that attach it to the aluminun frame, or something like that. Mine HAD an aluminum extrusion at some point in time, but the PO did away with it and I have to fabricate something to fit and yours is the idea I am going with, a wood board covered in the uphosltery attached to the aluminum frame. And as far as sense...I have yet to see any piece of electronic equipment that doesn't require creative prose in it's native language to operate correctly...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Juel,
My unit is a little older than yours, but IIRC if you take the cushions off and look on the underside of the fabric covered piece there are screws that attach it to the aluminun frame, or something like that. Mine HAD an aluminum extrusion at some point in time, but the PO did away with it and I have to fabricate something to fit and yours is the idea I am going with, a wood board covered in the uphosltery attached to the aluminum frame. And as far as sense...I have yet to see any piece of electronic equipment that doesn't require creative prose in it's native language to operate correctly...

Aaron
looked for material over here but cant get anything in that width so ill have to wait till i get back to la and get it sorted there
Old 02-28-2005, 07:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
Question sofa frame

are there any pictures or plans to this mine does not feel wright ans I think something is missing or not wright Billy
Old 02-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Extra is better than not enough

Steve-
Even with prices for good fabric, we bought 8 yards (54" wide) to be sure there was plenty, regardless of orientation.. Running out is a disaster, given lead times for special fabric orders etc etc... We also used extra fabric to cover seat and back of a pair of folding chairs to match, so we could seat more than just across couch for meals... Looks very cool!

As for other question about different couches, Airstream used several types.. Common front couch in 80's and 90's was called "Jacknife" style with back that flipped forward and extended bed surface away from couch. It has sliding drawer underneath, and side storage compartments and bolsters that must be upholstered to match, after removing and replacing with lots of sheet metal screws and screws into plywood... Later models use couch that lifts up and then opens our flat, where seat and back retain connection, but switch from "L" shape to flat surface.. Similar to older gaucho styles which lifted up and slid out into room.

We also used same fabric for headboard on rear queen bed, and color-coordinated fabric for side and rear panels by bed and couch, and for velvet panel replacements (dreaded pink...) in upper cabinet ends... Main couch needs professional, but chairs and panels do-able with staple gun and foam and patience...

John McG

>> We still have enough to repair seat or back in event of major spill or tear, without having to start and find new fabric

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Post sofa help on ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
Steve-
Even with prices for good fabric, we bought 8 yards (54" wide) to be sure there was plenty, regardless of orientation.. Running out is a disaster, given lead times for special fabric orders etc etc... We also used extra fabric to cover seat and back of a pair of folding chairs to match, so we could seat more than just across couch for meals... Looks very cool!

As for other question about different couches, Airstream used several types.. Common front couch in 80's and 90's was called "Jacknife" style with back that flipped forward and extended bed surface away from couch. It has sliding drawer underneath, and side storage compartments and bolsters that must be upholstered to match, after removing and replacing with lots of sheet metal screws and screws into plywood... Later models use couch that lifts up and then opens our flat, where seat and back retain connection, but switch from "L" shape to flat surface.. Similar to older gaucho styles which lifted up and slid out into room.
thanks for the info its my first task when i get there cant get that wdth fabric here so ill wait till im there , and make a stert cheers for the tips steveWe also used same fabric for headboard on rear queen bed, and color-coordinated fabric for side and rear panels by bed and couch, and for velvet panel replacements (dreaded pink...) in upper cabinet ends... Main couch needs professional, but chairs and panels do-able with staple gun and foam and patience...

John McG

>> We still have enough to repair seat or back in event of major spill or tear, without having to start and find new fabric
cheers for the tips on covering the sofa ,my first task when i get there! cheers steve