Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Front Lounge vs Rear Lounge

I am not sure where to post this but i'll start here. i already have something posted about floorplans but now i really am trying to decide this issue.

i have seen several AS with the lounge in the rear... that would be the 25 and 27ft model..... and i have looked at the 28ft with the lounge in the front.

since i have not done that much RV stuff before .... where are you most likely going to get your better views from when you set up in a campground.
and by that i mean a place with FULL HOOK UPS.
somewhere you would be staying a while?
i know when boondocking its easier to have a great view because you have the space around you.

i worry about the front lounge looking into someone elses trailer.
i know i asked this before on the full timer forum but i want to post this again here.

and YES i know the best views are when you get out of the AS. but i am going to be inside alot working and i want to be able to enjoy where i am from the great views out my windows as well.

i would appreciate your comments... and i thank you all very much for the help you have given me so far.

Annie
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
When we were looking at models as we up-sized from our 23' Internationa, wife liked the 27FB because of the amount of storage. I feel she didn't think about the livability of the lounge area. Keep in mind, we're not full timers so the storage issue wasn't a huge thing to me.
I preferred the 28' configuration because I saw the lounge area as much more 'friendly'. More open, more usable.
As to your question about which will give you better views, I think the panorama windows in the rear will give you the best views most often.
Please look at the livability side. If you have the opportunity to actually go into one of each configuration, I think that will be your best avenue of research.
By the way, you can see who won the battle of configurations by looking at our description.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Especially when you are closer to densely populated areas, you will find RV parks that are back to back back-in parking. Since the majority of RVs today are motor homes and fifth wheels that most often have rear lounges, your view out the back will often be someone else's lounge a few feet away from yours. With a travel trailer, you will always have a lot of space before the next RV in front of you. I know you see a lot of ads showing a trailer backed up with a beautiful meadow and lake behind it. This is not apt to happen in a RV Park. Keep in mind also that an Airstream in an RV park is likely to have RVs next to and behind it that are feet taller. At times I have felt like I'm in a cabin with skyscrapers behind and on both sides of me.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Especially when you are closer to densely populated areas, you will find RV parks that are back to back back-in parking. Since the majority of RVs today are motor homes and fifth wheels that most often have rear lounges, your view out the back will often be someone else's lounge a few feet away from yours. With a travel trailer, you will always have a lot of space before the next RV in front of you. I know you see a lot of ads showing a trailer backed up with a beautiful meadow and lake behind it. This is not apt to happen in a RV Park. Keep in mind also that an Airstream in an RV park is likely to have RVs next to and behind it that are feet taller. At times I have felt like I'm in a cabin with skyscrapers behind and on both sides of me.
Regards,
Ken
thanks for your thoughts.... i love that picture of your white kitty. LOL
soooo adorable !

i will be trying to avoid density.... no need to be too near cities. but i see what you mean. thanks alot
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Take my statements with the proverbial "grain of salt". I am pretty biased towards the rear lounge / front bedroom floorplan ;-)

In my experience, if you are in a big commercial campground, your "view" will always be of other RV's. Most of them pretty close to you. I have been in campgrounds where my view from the rear window was of the engine bay of a big class A. I have also been places where the view from our curb side windows was of a big 5er less than 2 feet away. That is the biggest reason I'm not generally a big fan of large commercial campgrounds.

That said, when you do actually arrive in a campsite that has a little space around it, the chances are good that the best views will be to the rear. It is almost universally true in the state park and national forest campgrounds I go to. Most of the spaces are back-ins. If you have a front lounge, the view is probably of your tow vehicle and the road in front.

I have had it both ways, and much prefer the FB floor plans. Your priorities and campsites may ultimately be way different than mine though.

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruck View Post
When we were looking at models as we up-sized from our 23' Internationa, wife liked the 27FB because of the amount of storage. I feel she didn't think about the livability of the lounge area. Keep in mind, we're not full timers so the storage issue wasn't a huge thing to me.
I preferred the 28' configuration because I saw the lounge area as much more 'friendly'. More open, more usable.
As to your question about which will give you better views, I think the panorama windows in the rear will give you the best views most often.
Please look at the livability side. If you have the opportunity to actually go into one of each configuration, I think that will be your best avenue of research.
By the way, you can see who won the battle of configurations by looking at our description.

yes.... i can see who won the battle. i know what you mean about livability. the 28ft is definitely more THAT.
i have been in and out of ALL of them and i like the front lounge set up the best. BUT..... that lounge is in the front and i am leaning towards the one in the back.
i dont know what to think. i am still trying to figure this all out.
thanks for your comments.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just to Muddy the water some more...

There was a thread yesterday - the Ocean Breeze is out - the Serenity is IN. And I really like the one picture I've seen so far. DAMN those clever people at Airstream! ...Note to self, must win lottery...

Dinettes on the side tend to be over a wheel well, really fits only 2 adults and 2 children, on the end there's more space, but dinettes aren't great for hours of lounging. I leave my dinette down in the "bed configuration" most of the time. It makes a good reading, lounging, "conversation pit" but sometimes I NEED the table. Switching back and forth isn't something you want to do daily.

The 27FB has FAR more closet space than the 28 with the side dinette. I fulltime, and have to keep some work wardrobe as well as my camping slouch around clothes.

In the end I've seen lots of folks eliminate side dinettes, get a small table and chairs and use them instead. One of the new 22's has a curved banquette - like a restaurant booth - and that looks really nice. Some of the folks with the FB have taken out the end dinette and put in two recliners with a moveable table, or put in a couch that converts to a bed.

Bottom line - any FIXED layout will probably have tradeoffs - So you owe it to yourself to really see both layouts and to really spend some time imagining yourself IN the trailer.

PS: About boondocking... you'll go there eventually. I started out as a campground gal, and I still spend most of my time in a campground - that's pretty vacant at this time of year. But I really enjoy going out in the country even for just a weekend now. You'll only have to go to one nice Federal or State park and you'll be converted. I don't try to go boondocking for a week or two... mostly 2 to 3 days... but there is something about "the sounds of silence" and the joy of seeing stars - which you never really do near any urban setting.

Paula
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Annie,

There is an old saying... "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes"! and it is so true of this issue as well. If you are a tow vehicle fanatic, then front lounge isn't an issue. We travel to see beautiful things and enjoy the outdoors. You will never get a better view than the back of your tow vehicle if you have a front lounge (which we do - much to our chagrin). Our next unit will have a rear lounge for sure. Truth is, this was as much trailer as we could afford at the time, and we're thrilled to have her, but net time we'll change floor-plans for sure. If you think about it, you back into your site (most often) and the best view is not the tow vehicle but the area you just backed into.

On a recent trip to FL from MN we stopped and looked at some new AS units. The 27' unit was just terrific. There are others as well. but the 27 was just a warm and wonderful environment that tempted me to think about making the trade a bit sooner than we had anticipated. We managed to get out of there before I thought about it too hard, but I still agree with Fordtruck and see the rear lounge as the preferred model to be sure. Regardless, these are just remarkable units. You'll no-doubt love your new rig regardless of the floor-plan. There are many other things to consider IMHO like bath size layout and bed configuration... Fortunately for all of us... The great folks at AS understand this and do a great job of giving us options from which to choose.

All the best to you!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
_

. , .
this is really an IMPOSSIBLE question to answer with ANY reliable marker.

there are just TOO MANY variables and exceptions.

and there are generally NOT great views in a "full hook up campground" from EITHER end of the trailer.

UNLESS you happen upon a specific park which is LAYED OUT to capture a view...

like on the coast/shore of something or backed INTO a vista or beach front.

and typically THESE sites cost MORE and aren't for full timers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
...i worry about the front lounge looking into someone elses trailer...
most rv parks are relatively CLOSE QUARTERS.

so the front AND back AND sides AND entry door are either looking INTO or just 10-20 feet from another trailer or truck or SEWER HOSE...

and in MANY parks 2 sites that are sideBYside are oriented in OPPOSITE positions...

like arrows at 180 degrees.

FULL TIMERS/LONG TERM parkers, are typically tucked into LESS expensive sites, at the back or near the perimeter of rv parks...

this gets them AWAY from the main traffic/egress and away from the HIGH TURNOVER sites (nightly)...

having LESS traffic/dust/noise RIGHT OUTSIDE your rv door matters more than a VIEW for most savy campers.

parks designed for FULL TIME use, like the 100s of snow bird parks in the southwest....

are generally laid out in herringbone patterns....

think sardines, with EACH one in it's own rv can and a ROAD in front/back or BOTH.

this means some folks will WANT corner sites, end of row sites, back row sites, SHADY sites...

or sites CLOSE to the shower/laundry or office or pool or whatever feature THEY deem valuable....

and scenic view/backdrop is almost NEVER a consideration for commercial rv parks.

unless the park happens to be LOCATED on a coast or bluff or at the base of a mountain range.

there are exceptions but almost ALWAYS the view is OUTSIDE the stream.

additionally your desire to LOOK OUT will be countered by other people LOOKING IN at YOU...

the wrap window/rock protectors FILTER this some, with tinting during the day...

but at NIGHT what part of the trailer do you want people to LOOK IN at???

the bedroom or the lounge?

it might be VERY REVEALING to go visit some rv parks or LOOK at the park maps/layouts that are posted ON LINE, like this one...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...2&d=1256935788

or use google EARTH to check terrain/features over a park.

my goal is to ALWAYS park with the head o' the bed toward magnetic north...

it's well known to be the perfect sleeping position and with sunrise ALWAYS in the east...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
From what I am reading, it seems to be a toss up depending on where you go. The SP ones I have been to around FL and GA seem to have better views out the front. I have backed into many sites where the back part has absolutely no view other than looking at some underbrush. The sites where designed so there was complete privacy for the back. My vote is for the bed in back. Plus, I get a kick out of watching some of these rigs coming in and attempting to park.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
I vote for the front lounge. Yes, you do get a view of the TV, but it will always be an acceptable view, whereas the rear lounge views will always be chancy. One day an ocean beach view, the next a corrugated iron shed! Most non-commercial parks like state parks, in my experience, have lots big enough to park the TV out of the way or even pull the trailer in forward towards the inspiring view. I'm with RLS. I'm a people watcher and enjoy watching rigs come in to set up camp and watch them leave the next day.

One other point... the rear of a trailer always has the most jarring ride and loose items have the greatest distance to travel if the TV's brakes have to be slammed on.

Good luck on your decision.

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

WOW! thanks everyone ! i am glad to hear what you think.
since i started this research i have been in and out of alot of airstreams at a dealer near where i am staying at the moment.

i like them all but i am leaning towards a rear lounge.
thanks for the help. you make loads of great points.

and 2air? .... at night i close my blinds or drapes. after it gets dark.....
NOBODY is looking in at me EVER. LOL
lights on... drapes closed.

and for the last year i have been checking maps at campgrounds.
i've been researching this for some time now.
but i havent got down to the nitty gritty yet of campgrounds.

for the moment i am still collecting information and peoples thoughts about things to do with the AS itself.

thanks again everyone for your comments... as usual... you give me lots to think about.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
A few more thoughts.

Hi, OK we normaly call them front beds or rear beds, not front or rear lounges. My trailer is a rear bed and I already told you the best view is outside. But you may want to consider a few other things like in the front bed models you are sleeping right over or very close to your batteries. Also you will be very close to your propane tanks. And check out your emergency escape window. In my rear bed, my water heater is right under my head, but I no longer run it at night. And my emergency escape window is in the rear with a bed to stand on from the inside and a rear bumper to stand on from the outside. Hopefully we/you/anybody will never have to use these windows and a lot of people have stated their fear of propane. Something to think about.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, OK we normaly call them front beds or rear beds, not front or rear lounges. My trailer is a rear bed and I already told you the best view is outside. But you may want to consider a few other things like in the front bed models you are sleeping right over or very close to your batteries. Also you will be very close to your propane tanks. And check out your emergency escape window. In my rear bed, my water heater is right under my head, but I no longer run it at night. And my emergency escape window is in the rear with a bed to stand on from the inside and a rear bumper to stand on from the outside. Hopefully we/you/anybody will never have to use these windows and a lot of people have stated their fear of propane. Something to think about.
Hi Robert

yes.... they are beds and i call a bed a BED. but i was talking about the lounge. you know.... the sofa and stuff. not the beds.
i said i was leaning towards a rear LOUNGE! not a bed.
a lounge.
i want the bed in the front of the trailer.

i dont want to back into a spot and have to look out from the lounge at someone elses trailer when the back of my trailer is looking out at mountains and all i can see is the rv in front of me because my LOUNGE is in the front!

and as far as getting stuck somewhere in the middle of the pack because there wont be anything avilable. that might happen when i am traveling from place to place. and THATS ok. because i wont be staying more than one night till i get to the destination i will be setting up to stay for a few months.
and THAT place WILL have a nice view because i will have checked it out LOOONG in advance and will have my space reserved.

for me.... the WHOLE POINT of full timing in an airstream is so that i can have the freedom to move around with the good weather and go to the parts of the country i want to be in. and THAT means the west and southwest and its wide open spaces. not going to cities.... not going to dense areas..... just going to be OUT there in places with elbow room.

i'm not looking to travel around and make trips to destinations... like a vacation. i am looking at living spaces that will be good for a few months of the year as long as the weather holds. then am off to somewhere else.

so yes..... i want those wrap around windows at both ends and a lounge in the back and a bedroom in the front.

thanks for telling me about the propane tanks and the batteries....i didnt know that. but..... what the hell.... whatever happens ...HAPPENS.

and finally... yes you already told the best view is outside. thanks for reminding me of that again. but i will be INSIDE alot working.... so.. the view from inside is VERY important to me TOO.

we all have our reasons for the floorplans we want. i am beginning to see the reasons for the one i want.
enjoy your rear bed plan. maybe if i wasnt working on my job inside for the time i will be.....maybe that rear lounge wouldnt be that important.

but i AM and IT IS. LOL

and yes... always a pleasure to hear from you.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My wife and I like the Vintage Kin trailers of the 1970's/1980's. We sold our '34 Silver Streak for several reasons, one of them being the lack of a rear bedroom. The next trailer will preferably have this layout as it allows two living areas (and two sleeping areas). TV/Audio will be installed at both locations.

I personally like the lounge at the front -- near the road -- as I consider it more of a public area. Being up by the road, with the drapes back, I am "part of" the traffic walking or driving by. It is a short step outside.

With a rear bedroom I can curtain off the lesser glass space per square foot and the interior doorway to the kitchen and lounge, and greatest privacy is created. With one person up in the morning and one still asleep, this arrangement works well.

Don't forget that both window shades and curtains lined with "blackout" material are your friends. One modifies windows for heat, light, breeze, cooling as the day progresses. It is what, IMO, keeps a trailer from ever feeling confining.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote