Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Front Floor Replacement

After removing the old carpet yesterday this is what we found. It doesn't feel rotted and is not spongy but while I'm here I might as well address before putting down the new floor. I'm new at this but handy with powertools. Where do I cut to maintain support on the frame. Once the plywood is cut...will it pull out from under the sides. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the inside skin to do this. I did notice some big screw/bolt heads. Do I need to drop the belly to get at them or do they screw directly into the frame? Looking for any suggestions from those that have tackled this themselves. Thanks!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Rot JPEG.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	88239  
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hmmm, can you check the wood from underneath the step? While there is evidence of water spots, if the floors' not soft, I wouldn't worry. I'd put some penetrating epoxy on it and call it good.

On edit - I just read the other post you made with pics.... hmm.. are you sure it's not soft? I'd get a icepick or sharp screwdriver and really drive it in under the wall areas... if it is at all soft, then go ahead with the replacement (yes, you'll have to pull the inside skin around the area...).

If not, then, kill the area with bleach or wood treatment, then epoxy from there. I'd look beyond the windows for leaks though.. My guess is that it's leaking from above and traveling down the shell to the floors...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Second Marc's thoughts. You do NOT want to take the plywood out unless you have too. If the wood is sound, leave it. It is a lot of work and it does not just slide out. I would do two things. First, find the leak and fix that ASAP. There is water getting in from somewhere and it must be addressed. Most likely the door seal. Second, coat the area with a good epoxy resin. Rot Doctor is a commercial brand for soft floors, but I have used West System epoxy resin for years on boat repairs and on my Airstream Floors. It will seal up the grain and you will never have to worry about water penetrating the wood. If you get the West epoxy, make sure you buy the pumps that they sell. They are metered for the product so one pump of resin and one pump of hardener and the mixture is correct. I have found I use the stuff all the time for fixing everything from rake handles to the bathtub in my AS.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote