Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cambridge , Wisconsin
Fridge too cold

Does anyone have any ideas about why the fridge on our 07 safari would freeze foods? It has frozen milk and eggs, but only on shore power. It doesn't keep real cold on propane. Any info would help me start the process of locating the problem. Thanks
LINDAMART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'd rather have a fridge too cold. You have tried turning down the thermostat, range is 1 to 5.

Have you checked the probe on the inside that clips to the fins? Raise it up towards the top of the fridge.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cambridge , Wisconsin
Thanks I'll check
Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just read about your LP not keeping really cold. It may be that the flue and burner needs cleaning out. My 2008 the electric and LP keeps the temperature equal but the lowest temperature observed on the temperature read out is 31F, mostly 32F but it doesn't seem to freeze anything yet seems accurate using an external thermometer. Might be best to take the trailer into a RV repair to have them check.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
While there are more complicated fixes, this one is easy and inexpensive; and it might work for you. Suggest you try this before making any thermostat adjustments, etc., as the operation of your refrigerator may be OK as is.

Put a fan similar to the one below in the bottom of your refrigerator, with a clear air EXHAUST path upward to the cooling coils/fins. Do not block air INTAKE on fan.

Camco Fridge Airator - Walmart.com

Also, do not pack food tightly in the compartment; leave a little space between items to allow air to circulate freely.

Another item that makes it easier to check your refrigerator's internal temperature is an inexpensive indoor/outdoor thermometer, similar to the one below:

AcuRite Digital Wireless Thermometer - Walmart.com
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I like the Walmart idea, that looks like a simple, neat solution.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have a 2006 so I would guess we have the same fridge. Here are a couple of fixes before you install a fan.

First, there is a lit display on the top that goes from 1 to 5 with 5 being the coldest. If you haven't seen this yet, you might want to try moving the number down.

Secondly, the thermostat is connected via a wire and is attached to the fins in the back (inside) of the fridge. You can adjust the temperature inside by moving this thing up and down. When you move it up, it takes longer for the cold air that collects at the bottom, to cool the thermostat thus increasing the cold. If you move this thermostat down, it will cool sooner and the fridge will not continue to cool to the point of freezing the food.

Give these a try and let us know if they make any difference.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cambridge , Wisconsin
Thanks all, the trailer is in shop now( unrelated issue ) but I will definitely check thermostat and wire clip location when I get it back.