Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
fire extinguishers

I found this and thought I could replace the Airstream stock red extinguisher with silver. This looks to have a different chemical--no damage to appliances. Do you think this is the same size extinguisher? The FB unit has a molded cutout for the extinguisher so the size needs to be the same.

http://www.fireadesource.com/fireade...stainless.html

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Looks like it is too small to me.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Liberty Lake , Washington
I agree that it is too small. Also, I recommend an A/B/C extinguisher to handle any type of fire you may encounter.
Chris
FLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65glbtrotter
Looks like it is too small to me.
Looks like it is about the same size as the extinguishers in the newer coaches, not that I think they are big enough. An ABC extinguisher would be best, but the "C" is energized electrical equipment, and theoretically when you shut off the power, it then becomes a conventional fire.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Whitty

Oh man, has anyone discharged the conventional dry fire extinguisher inside their rig?

Granted, I discharged mine a bit premature (a muffin fire in the toaster oven) but I wanted to know in advance what to expect.

First off, once I pulled the pin and released the handle the unit would not shut off.
By the time I tossed the little white demon out the door, I had already created a white-out condition inside of the rig, which I quickly realized was uninhabitable and I baled out behind the extinguisher.
While the extinguisher continued to sculpt broad powdery arcs around the parking lot,
I composed myself, placed my shirt over my mouth and nose and reentered the rig, which now was billowing white powder. I opened all the windows and turned on all exhaust fans. Within a few moments the rig cleared and what was left I can only describe as indescribable, It was if a 50 lb bag of flour has exploded inside a 10 lb bag. Breakfast now ruined. The muffin and toaster oven were immediately discarded as was the fried egg in the frying pan. During the swing around to the door with the extinguisher the white stuff hit the fridge, every nook between the door and frame was caked solid with white powder, as I passed the bathroom mirror I saw my reflection, a completely ghost like figure stared back at me with a few dark spots indicating nose, mouth and eyes. It took weeks, buckets of water and old towels, 10 vacuum bags, all the window screens had to come out, exhaust fans cleaned, a rug shampoo and a few showers, and there still was no getting all the white powder out. Sure, if it had been a real fire the white stuff would have been a small consolation, but as a test on a smoking muffin, it was a disaster.

PS, as I pulled away from the parking lot, and glanced out my side view mirror I noticed the perfect white outline of my rig…

And remember; only you can prevent muffin fires!

Smokey the Airstreamer
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Exclamation FIRE EXTINGUISHERS – A Friend in deed!

Don't get a toy to handle a serious job.

Get a real fire extinguisher and one large enough to put out a fire twice.
If you want it to blend with your decor, paint it. They are red so others can spot them in an emergency.

Personally, I like carbon dioxide because after a fire is extinguished I don’t have to spend hours cleaning up the chemicals left behind and assessing the damage they have done to the surrounding metals. Problem is, they are rather large and heavy. (Expensive)

You can see in the pix, mine is at the entry door. I figure if I’m present when a fire starts it will be in the galley while cooking. In addition, located there it is immediately available to assist the SOB next to you that may encounter a problem. I keep a 2¾ pound dry chemical in the bedroom area and a 5 pound Purple K in the TV.

It isn’t really a big deal, they don’t take up much space. We all know that a fire aboard your Airstream can ruin the whole day! If you have never used one, stop by your local fire station and ask them to demonstrate, they most always have portable units that are out of date for training purposes.

A special note: In an RV, similar to a boat, the operational vibration will occasionally induce the dry chemical to collect and compact into the bottom of the canister. When triggered in an emergency the extinguisher will expend only the propellant and no chemicals. Technically, you should have your extinguishers professionally inspected and certified once a year. Since most do not practice this, at a minimum, you should invert them - bang them around & insure that to chemicals are free inside. If it doesn’t have a pressure gauge, you can always gamble that it is serviceable.

Alternatively, you can simply maintain you insurance premiums!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New white oak  floor.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	19060  
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote