Old 10-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

1996 34' Cutter Bus
Miami , South Florida
Filling the Hole where the Center Console TV Is?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post though I have read about 60 so far and I really enjoy this forum.

I am so excited about my very first RV. I just purchased a 1996 34 Foot Airstream Cutter with the Ford engine. I am exceptionally happy with this RV because the previous owner spent a bit of money refurbishing her, but left enough for me to do with having to dig too deep into my pockets. Plus the mechanic told me that the roof, engine and generator were rock solid and for a Florida truck, the chassis is rust free.

The RV comes with a television in the center console. It doesn't work and The owner installed a nice 30 inch flat screen that is much better. I would like to remove the television and put something functional in that hole. It can even extend over onto the engine cover.

I have to believe that I am not the first person to do this. I am eager to see what you have done.

I'll post pictures tomorrow so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Peter

Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

1996 34' Cutter Bus
Miami , South Florida
Hello, as promised I have attached a picture to provide a visual. I would like to make some type of cabinet in there so that I can put cell phone, drink (coffee or soda) and maybe a flash light or something like that. In fact, I would like to move the stereo / GPS unit there.

I appreciate your input and thanks in advance.

Peter

Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Here are some links
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...sic-92309.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...is-158107.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...hat-38970.html

That should get you started
Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

1996 34' Cutter Bus
Miami , South Florida
Thumbs up

Thanks..That first thread is amazing.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
Hi Peter,
I had the same question with the '99 30' Land Yacht MH I bought last year. I removed the center consul TV and have covered the hole with a piece of mahogany, stained to match the neighboring dashboard and glove compartment (same as yours). Mounted on this are my GPS, TPMS, and rear camera monitor. This is all a temporary fix. Real plan (this winter) is to recess the mahogany board, at an angle, and do a more permanent mount of the three devises as well as incorporate some monitoring guages for the battery (and later solar) systems. Still need to ascertain that the GPS can read satellites from this proposed location. The old TV? Goodwill Industries. Currently the devises run off the two cigarette lighter outlets on either side of the consul. I plan to tap into 12 VDC power to hard wire the devises, and will be installing a switch to control the power and avoid phantom power draw.
Also pulled out the rear bedroom TV. We have a 12 VDC flatscreen mounted on the bulkhead aft of the dinette. (Sorry, former boat owner!)
Good luck and keep us posted on how your plans take shape.
MIKE
Old 10-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

1996 34' Cutter Bus
Miami , South Florida
Hello Mike,

I like the idea of using mahogany stained to match the dark wood panels on the dash. I really don't wan't to move the back-up screen, I like where it lives and functionally its works for me. I would love to put the GPS / radio unit there but then I create another problem. What do I put in the hole where the GPA/Radio is currently.

I want to get a CB, not that I think that I'll ever need one, but there was a cool CB trucker song called Convoy in the 70's that I really liked as a kid. I've wanted a CB every since then.

If I can fill/cover the hole where the GPS is on the dashboard, I would put the CB radio, the GPS, storage, cup holders and a area to hold a wallet and loose change etc.

Thanks for the input and I'd love to see a picture.

Regards,

Peter