Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Sandpoint , Idaho
Filler, epoxy or both????

Yes! I'm finally finished getting the parquet floor out installed by the PO. The good news is the sub floor is solid! The bad news, the PO used whatever glue he had to install the floor and this is why it took me so long to get done in my few days off. Some tiles came off almost without any assistance even though there was glue under them. Others just needed a little motivation from a thin bladed putty knife. Then came the challenge. In some spots, he used some type of glue that worked its way into the sub floor so with a hammer and the putty knife made for this type of work, I did my best to separate the parquet from the wood with as little damage as possible. Well, sometimes the pieces took an entire layer of plywood with them! There was no stopping it! The floor is not rotten but where the glue "soaked in" it's soft on that top layer where it ripped away. Under it it's strong. Now I'm getting ready to pick a new floor for it and I have more than one problem. The main one I have researched all over these forums and I can only find threads addressing wet rot. I have low spots now that need to be filled and I don't know if I should cut back some parts that are soft and not attached (I hope the picture can show it better) or if there is a epoxy on the market that will fill or be used and then filled without ripping more wood away. Any thoughts?
spencerhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

1972 27' Overlander
Sandpoint , Idaho
Helps if I attach the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0385.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	213326  
spencerhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I think I might finish removing the loose wood and level up with bondo, duraglass, or something similar, do a quick sanding to level up and be done with it.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Filler, epoxy or both????

You could always pour a liquid SMC fiberglass resin in the bad spots. It is an epoxy that isn't terribly expensive, but I think that in the end Bondo or Duraglass wouldn't be just as good (or better) and easier to work with in the sanding process.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
There are several epoxies on the market for such repairs

Aeromarine is a California brand, good staff for questions, good price. Asked them about their penetrating epoxy. I did my whole Tradewind floor with it.

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Talk to a good residential/commercial floor installer, they deal with this all the time.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote