Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Marshall44
Fiberglass Dome

Hi There:

I recently purchased (am purchasing) a 1962 16' Bambi with the original fiberglass dome. The heater does not work. The dome does not yet open. Is there a problem if I get the heater to work and the dome wont open? Asfixiation? Otherwise, any suggestions on how to get the dome working? Perhaps I'll just have to take it to a A/S dealership.

Thanks for any information you might have.

Marshall
Marshall44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Marshall,

I don't know much about the '62 Bambi, but if the dome has anything to do with exhaust, be very careful. It doesn't take much CO to lay you out cold.

Check with Andy from Inland RV (a regular poster here). I am not sure a dealer will be able to fully help given the age of the unit.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
There will be a vent on the side of the camper for the heater is it's the forced air like our 59.
What doesn't work about it? They are pretty simple. If it's the blower it might be repairable. My blower motor is gumed up and does not wat to spin free. These motors are old enough that they can be dissassembled and they have replacable brushes. As long as the armature has not been burned from behing stalled it just a mater of cleaning and oiling the bronze bearings with a light machine oil like 3in1.
THe second possiblility is the motor is replaceed by a newer motor. Places like ww Grainger can help you out with that.
Now you do know that with these forced air units there is a switch near the heater that you need to select the power source. It will run on either 12v or 110 "City" power. There will be a transformer in the cabinet with the heater.

Before use I would recomend dissassembing the unit and checking the heat exchanger for cracks as well as critter homes.

As for the vent. maybe the seal is glued it shut. The screen can be removed from the inside. Take a putty knife and see if you can free it. On our the foam seal stays with the fiberglass part. If the foam gives up for ghoast you can find a suitable replacement at most home stores like Home Depot or Ace.

The Hehr lifts are available. I believe Inland RV has them. It is recomended that you crack a vent or window. Most here will advice you to purches a battery powered CO alarm as well as a propane dector alarm for safety.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:19 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Toaster,

You are the man (or woman)!

What is your real (first) name that you care to share? I hate calling you toaster unless you don't mind.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Marshall44
FIBERGLASS DOME

Dear Toaster and Eric:

Thank you both so much for your information. Actually my Bambi arrives from Texas this Saturday. I am not too handy but I have a friend who may be able to do the trick in getting the heater started with all your advice. Also, if I can't get the dome fixed, I think replacement is the key. I thank you both so much for your help.

Marshall
Marshall44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Toaster,

You are the man (or woman)!

What is your real (first) name that you care to share? I hate calling you toaster unless you don't mind.

Regards,

Eric
You might have problems remembering my first name...It's Eric LOL. I lurked a little before I joined and noticed there were several Eric's so I have just been singing 59toaster to limit the confusion.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote