Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
End cap support, '68 Tradewind

I've recently acquired a 1968 Tradewind 24T and am in the process of gutting it to start remodeling.

It was the victim of a half-hearted attempt by previous owners and I am going to have to remove essentially everything and start from scratch.

The forward end cap was "butchered" to add a "custom" cabinet. I removed the cabinet this morning expecting to see support ribs that I could attach new aluminum skins to, but it looks like support ribs were not used behind the end-caps.

Any suggestions how to create enough of a stand-off to allow insulation and the attachment of the interior panels? My initial though is to use aluminum square tubing and bend it on a tube-bender to match the arc and then use an adhesive to hold it in place.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

I will have several more questions as I work through this project since I have a laundry list of items to replace:
  • furnace
  • AC
  • Holding tanks (replacing all of the plumbing and adding grey water tank)
  • Toilet
  • Axles
  • all electrical
  • all appliances
  • basically everything

Thanks in advance for the help,

shilgemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
End Caps are all self supported with no internal structure. Check out the thread below for info on making an aluminum endcap.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
Much easier solution than what I was planning. Thanks for posting the link.
shilgemann is offline   Reply With Quote