Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Stockbridge , Georgia
Electrical center in sleeping area

Hi everyone.

I have an 84 Sovereign 31 with side bath and rear bedroom. I want to swap the living space in the front with the bedroom. My main motivation for this is in case of fire when I'm sleeping, it would be easier to get out with my dogs since it's right by the door.

Question I have about the bedroom being in the front. The battery and the inverter/charger is up front currently under the flip lounge. I plan on building a wall with a door to keep the sleeping area separate from the rest of things. Is it a bad idea to have the battery in an enclosed area like this? With it under the flip lounge at least it's an open area.

This is also going to be where I keep the dogs if I'm gone and they are in the trailer by themselves. Even though the battery is inside the plastic case, it isn't completely sealed to the inside.

Is there cause for concern here? Reasons I shouldn't do this? Thanks everyone.
slantflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantflat View Post

This is also going to be where I keep the dogs if I'm gone and they are in the trailer by themselves. Even though the battery is inside the plastic case, it isn't completely sealed to the inside.

Is there cause for concern here? Reasons I shouldn't do this? Thanks everyone.
The battery box or boxes if you have two batteries are sealed from the inside as they came from the factory. The cables are gasket, or if those gaskets are missing or worn, could simply be calked against gas penetration. The batteries vent to the outside via a loose fitting exterior cover with holes cast into it for vents.

I don't think you have any cause for concern, even in the original design of the sleeping areas in the trailer.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Stockbridge , Georgia
Thanks idroba. If it were just me, I'd leave everything the way it is. But my thinking is if there's a problem between me in the back and the door in the front, I can easily bail out the windows but the dogs can't.

And if the battery is indeed sealed from the inside that is one obstacle out of the way.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It would be easier I think to put a hatch in the back bedroom wall large and low enough for everyone to crawl out of. Some have put a second entrance door there. Maybe you could find something like this at a salvage yard with an Airstream(s).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sleep on the couch, or-
The rear window is an emergency exit, right?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Stockbridge , Georgia
Yes the rear windows are emergency exits, but it doesn't look easy for a couple of big dogs to escape, not to mention they would run off by the time I got out then I'd have two problems. I like the adding a second door idea, not sure that's within my capabilities. Hm, I'm going to be in Jackson Center later this month, wonder what they'd charge to retrofit a door back there?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Two Battery Types, for starters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantflat View Post
...With it under the flip lounge at least it's an open area.

This is also going to be where I keep the dogs if I'm gone and they are in the trailer by themselves. Even though the battery is inside the plastic case, it isn't completely sealed to the inside....
First, you must let us in on what sort of batteries you're using. Say, likely they're flooded cell, lead-acid batteries. Say they are. Do you know when they are charging they're outgassing poisonous and explosive vapors?

A "plastic case" which keeps the battery strapped in place (when used correctly) and protects the terminasl from accidental short (a dropped dinner knife, say) is not vapor tight. No protection from poisonous and explosive vapors.

However, if you are using AGM absorbed glass mat batteries, they only outgas if there's a big malfunction with the charge controller -- which cooks the batteries dead. Maybe there's your solution, AGM, as well as a recommendation on how to avert a potential catastrophic battery event in your trailer.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
– Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote