Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Electric Space Heater Recommendaton

With the high cost of propane, I've been thinking about getting an electric space heater for our trailer. My wife and I spend the summer and early fall in the northwest - mostly Montana - where we often run our furnace or heat pump, because the temperature regularly gets down to the low 30's or upper 20's.

I don't want something that will blow fuses on our 30 amp service, because we normally have the water heater on refrigerator set on electric. But, we could switch these over to propane, or turn off the water heater at night. Size and weight of the heater is also a consideration. I'm not as much concerned about cost, because I think it would have a pretty quick payback in propane savings, as I’m interested in getting the best quality one available.

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated.

John
Old 03-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
john

i would think any modern space heater with a tip over it turns off feature would work.

1500 watts would be a good size. (about the same as a hair dryer)

however, you will run the risk of freezing your plumbing without running the furnace.

john
Old 03-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
With the high cost of propane, I've been thinking about getting an electric space heater for our trailer. My wife and I spend the summer and early fall in the northwest - mostly Montana - where we often run our furnace or heat pump, because the temperature regularly gets down to the low 30's or upper 20's.

I don't want something that will blow fuses on our 30 amp service, because we normally have the water heater on refrigerator set on electric. But, we could switch these over to propane, or turn off the water heater at night. Size and weight of the heater is also a consideration. I'm not as much concerned about cost, because I think it would have a pretty quick payback in propane savings, as I’m interested in getting the best quality one available.

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated.

John

When camping we use a small 1500W ceramic heater, it works just fine.
I also keep a heater on during the winter when the trailer is in storage. It keeps things dry and no freeze ups.
One caveat; You will need a heater rated for continuous duty. The ceramic heaters are not for continuous use. I use a Dairy heater for heating when in storage, about $50 at an Ag. supply store. Be careful of leaving any heater on for extended periods unattended.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
FF,

Take a look at the oil-filled radiators that you can find at Home Depot and Lowes. I use them constantly in the winter as a second heat source. You can select the wattage that you need up to a max of 1500 and they work great.....and silently .The thermostat feature is also a real plus!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
FF,

Take a look at the oil-filled radiators that you can find at Home Depot and Lowes. I use them constantly in the winter as a second heat source. You can select the wattage that you need up to a max of 1500 and they work great.....and silently .The thermostat feature is also a real plus!
I use one in our coach. It has three settings, 600 watts, 900 watts, and 1500 watts. It works very well, and kept our coach toasty when the temp dipped into the 20's here.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Terry,

Have you been peeking into my coach again??
Old 03-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Terry,

Have you been peeking into my coach again??
No, but I got mine from the "new" Sears Essentials (aka high-price Kmarts) that is down the street from you...I have learned that the coach need to be level, or else the heater will roll from one end of the trailer to the other.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I use one in our coach. It has three settings, 600 watts, 900 watts, and 1500 watts. It works very well, and kept our coach toasty when the temp dipped into the 20's here.
Aren't the oil filled heaters a bit on the big and heavy size?

Also, I do appreciate the importance of keeping the furnace on at night so the water lines don't freeze.

I did not know that ceramic heaters weren't designed for long periods of use. That's good to know because we'd probably run it for 10-12 hours or more at a time on some days.

Are there any particular brands that are preferrable?

John
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Aren't the oil filled heaters a bit on the big and heavy size?

Also, I do appreciate the importance of keeping the furnace on at night so the water lines don't freeze.

I did not know that ceramic heaters weren't designed for long periods of use. That's good to know because we'd probably run it for 10-12 hours or more at a time on some days.

Are there any particular brands that are preferrable?

John
Ours is about 18" long, and about the same height. It weighs about 15 pounds, maybe a little less. I like them because they don't have any exposed heating elements, although ours went barreling through the bedroom area one night like an out-of-control express train, trailing its electric cord, one night when I had the trailer situated a little too nose-high.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
John,

I have a DeLonghi and a Pelonis model. They are not that heavy and measure
24H X 13W X 4D.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi flyfisher, I have been living in mine this winter in Kalispell MT and I use a small electric heater that works very well, the furnace dose not cycle near as much, Brand name is KEROSUN CERAMICA. I think any small electric will work fine for you, just make sure that it has a filter to catch the dust and lint. Where in MT do you stay at? I take it you fly fish, it would be fun to get together and do some fly fishing.http://www.fansandheaters.com/Fanforced.asp I use my ceramic steady no problem yet.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
Hi flyfisher, I have been living in mine this winter in Kalispell MT and I use a small electric heater that works very well, the furnace dose not cycle near as much, Brand name is KEROSUN CERAMICA. I think any small electric will work fine for you, just make sure that it has a filter to catch the dust and lint. Where in MT do you stay at? I take it you fly fish, it would be fun to get together and do some fly fishing.http://www.fansandheaters.com/Fanforced.asp I use my ceramic steady no problem yet.
David -

Thanks for the info on the Kerosun. You must get some pretty heavy use out of it during the winter. My wife talked yesterday to the woman that runs the campground where we're staying for 2 months this coming summer, on the Yellowstone just south of Livingston, and she said a week or so ago it was 20 below zero there. I don't know how you keep warm up in Kalispell.

Yes, it would be nice to get together to fish sometime. We're committed to be on the Yellowstone for June and September this coming summer, but we don't have any firm plans for August, although I generally like to spend some time on the Missouri, so we often stay in Helena for a couple weeks.

Last summer, we stayed in Libby for several days on our way to British Columbia, and we get up to Glacier every other year or so. We also spend time in Missoula pretty regularly, and we drive up
your way a time or 2 when we're staying there. Basically, I like to move around so we've been to a lot of different places, but Montana is such a big state with so many places to go, I'd be hard to see it all in a couple lifetimes.

John
Old 03-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
flyfisher do a search on skirting a airstream I posted some pics of my trailer, that helps alot. stay in touch would love too do some fishing.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Oil filled heaters....

Hello all -

We also have used the oil filled heaters with great success. One of the major reasons that we happily used the oil heaters is that they (on the lower settings) do not get critically hot - we have kids. They, IMO, would also be pet safe for that reason. Also no concerns about curtains or other fabrics either.

Additionally, they are at floor level, where the cool/cold air is, so a nice gentle convection current is naturally set up. We use 2 of them in our unit (34 ft). They are totally silent!!! The heat is really nice, even and just feels good.

Lowe's, HD and most small appliance places have them - they are very reasonable. As far as the rolling around issue - the wheels on the bottom are removable. Extension cords (someone mentioned an EC) are NOT recommended - especially if you plan on the 1500W setting a lot - current generates heat! We actually use 1 front and 1 rear - both at the lowest setting. Never an issue, cool to the touch but good warmth. They keep SilverToy toasty and comfortable.

Plus, remember that the electric is usually NOT metered at campgrounds and therefor this could be a cheaper way to heat. Perhaps monthly spots are different, but if you move your rig quite a bit this could be a way to lower some of those propane costs.

My 2 cents.

See ya out on the road, folks!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #15
Craftsman

I keep one of the small oil filled heaters on continously in my 25' Classic. It keeps it nice and warm all Winter. They seemed to me to be the safest since they never get to hot to the touch and no open flames or fumes to worry about.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We've got a couple of smaller oil filled that helps in our rig.

One warning that we've learned here at the park, though: In really cold weather, don't rely on the electric. The reason is that your black/gray tanks are heated by your propane system. Now, if you turn on the electric, it does ok in the cabin, but it also causes the propane heater thermostat not to switch on. And that, in turn, results in black/gray tanks that become every colder, eventually freezing.

Bottom line: If nighttime temps are bitterly cold, and if daytime temps don't even come out of freezing, it's best to stick with the propane. If, however, you do use the electric for some residual heat, then locate the thing as far from the propane system thermostat as you can.

Lynn