Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Electric receptacle below television quesstion

The electric outlet that the TV is plugged into only has 1 outlet, the other is covered with a plastic shield. Is there a reason for this or can I replace outlet and use both plugins?

Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I believe the outlet is complete, and is just covered.
You can unplug the trailer and turn off the inverter for safety and cut out the covered part.
The outlet, if I'm recalling correctly, is from the inverter so you can watch TV on battery power. However, on shore power, it operates normally.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The reason one side is blanked off is because this outlet typically is on an inverter, so Television can be watched when shore power is not available. SInce the inverter is of limited capacity, this is dome to prevent plugging in something like a hair dryer, which would overload the circuit.

That said, there is only a thin layer of soft plastic in the faceplate preventing insertion of a plug.

It is possible to cut off all shore power to the 110volt circuits, shut down the inverter, if you have one, and turn off battery power for safety. Then use an Ex-acto knife or similar pointy sharp tool to clear out the thin plastic layer and make the receptacle usable on both sides. In some of these parts, the plastic is thin enough to actually see the outline of the closed openings with a strong flashlight.

It turns out the standard metal contacts are still inside the part, just access is impossible. If you are not clear on how to do this safely, you can replace the outlet instead...

There are several old threads on this very issue--try a search.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Blocked plug

On my 2017 23D I dropped all power to the Airstream then carefully removed the plastic blocking second plug. With a sharp exacto knife it took about 5 minutes. It is a 120 volt outlet also. My unit has an additional wall plug just to the right of 120 volt plug that is served by the invertor. Both outlets are directly behind TV mounting area.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Thank you all for your quick replies

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Wall Plug

I have a 2018 27' International and have a similar issue. The TV is mounted so close to the wall, with only a wall mount TV plate, that I can't get behind mine to even see if there is a second wall plate. The outlet the TV is plugged into also has only one visible 120v outlet. How do you take off the TV wall mount since you can't get a wrench to the back of the unit???
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm thinking about replacing the factory TV with one that is larger on a mount similar to the mount in the bedroom that swivels and locks for travel. We have a 2017 28' International. I don't understand why they didn't put a larger TV in the space on a moveable mount.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Exactly

TheParula is offline   Reply With Quote