Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dropping my Drawers!

So, ever come back from a trip to find your silverware or undies scattered all over the interior of your Airstream because your drawer flew open - or even launched across a room? I have. The problem seems to be worse in the Safari's than the Classics or CCD's

I just invented a simple stupid fix that leaves no permanent marks on the exterior of the cabinets.

I have the 2006 25 FB SE safari with the handles that will catch your belt loops... which was what gave me the idea in the first place.

I just took a piece of 1 inch black elastic about 8 inches long - burned the ends so they wouldn't run - removed the drawer - and screwed both ends into the back side of the front cabinet frame... behind the drawer. When the drawer is reinserted this loop hangs down slightly into the drawer. When I get underway, I'll pull the loop out over the drawer pulls, where the protruding ends will hold it in place. If the drawer comes open it won't be more than an inch or two, and the elastic will pull it back. Works for the pantry and the closet too.

The overhead lockers? Well that is a different story. Those curved doors on the Safari (Flying Cloud) are actually extruded FOAM core... real wimpy. I'm thinking of putting small cup hooks into the top and bottom frames of the overhead cabinets, then using a piece of elastic with grommets in either end to hook over the cup hooks. This elastic will run out the top of the cabinet (with the hook on the inside of the top frame, then down the front of the closed door, and I think the second hook will have to be under the bottom of the base of the cabinet. Saw what happened to Thecatsandi's interior when the cop hit her!

Paula

The "Girl Tool Kit" strikes again! And you laughed at my high heel and kitchen knife! Ha!

Oh if you have the older style "droopy" television mount, I fixed that too. I just glued a small piece of 1/4 inch plywood under the ball to hold it level. The weight of the TV itself will actually pinch it in place, the glue could be vied as optional.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Paula,

Sounds like some great ideas...Let us know the long term success.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote