Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas
Greetings from Katy, Will be interested in your decision and progress. I was going to do the same thing but time and life got in the way. Consequently, I have a 25 foot '47 Spartan Manor that is ready to be built our. It has new windows front and rear, new axel with 3 new wheel & tires. Replaced entire subfloor and extended the tongue 18 inches to avoid jack-knife when backing. Not an AS but a very cool trailer ready for interior and systems. Will buff out to brilliant shine or stay with 72 year old patina. Located in Jewett, TX. PM if you would like to see it.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
You might want to join the Facebook page "Airstream Restoration". Lots of pics and more importantly it's a good place to ask questions. I rebuilt a 1973 25 foot Tradewind. I was able to reuse a lot of my existing interior. I had to gut it "to the grass" and make welding repairs on the frame. The 70's trailers are notorious for having rear end rot due to the bumper design that allowed water to seep in under the trim. The rear needs to be properly flashed when rebuilding the trailer. Also a poor design was putting the bottom exterior wall pieces on top of the piece above it and then covering it with a piece of molding called the rub rail. If the rub rail wasn't kept carefully sealed water could slip behind it and into the belly, rusting out the outriggers. I had to replace 7 outriggers even though the subfloor above looked great. The 60's trailers have smaller Windows but their construction is better, IMHO. My 1973 Tradewind is also wider than a 1968 Tradewind as well as a foot longer.

I think if I had to do it all over again I might have bought an argosy rather than an airstream. I love the way people paint them with the vintage colors. Polishing the trailers takes a lot of time and it's a constant process to keep them polished.

I don't know if they allow us to post a link to our blog so if you want to see pics and get an idea what you may be facing feel free to PM me.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Airstream Renovation in Houston

Hi John, I live in Houston and am currently renovating a 72 Airstream Safari 23’ trailer and also own a 2006 Airstream Safari 25’ Fb LE. Both great trailers and am enjoying working in the 72 unit. Would be happy to meet you and give you a tour of both units. Some great advice in this thread all true from people who’ve put many hours into restoration done right. I live in West Houston off Eldridge but my trailers are down I 10 inside the loop off Washington.
I’m out of country for another week but will be back at work on the bathroom of the 72 in a few weeks. Easier to show you the work it takes than to write a long description.
Rich hog
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Nice history lesson Skyguyscott. Very informative.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
One thing to note, in 1969 Airstreams got wider, 8ft I believe. Then in 1996 wider again, to about 8'6". Just something to remember when you step inside and say "I swear this thing just feels bigger for some reason"
We have a 1970 25ft Trade Wind and love it. About 5500lbs loaded, 600lb tongue weight (measured).
Tows great with our "little" Grand Cherokee Hemi
-Oz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180606_174533442_HDR.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	334575  
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
john...There is a unit available that looks very nice, and would fit your criteria nicely.....email me if you want the info at yz450@comcast.net
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardglass View Post
One thing to note, in 1969 Airstreams got wider, 8ft I believe. Then in 1996 wider again, to about 8'6". Just something to remember when you step inside and say "I swear this thing just feels bigger for some reason"
We have a 1970 25ft Trade Wind and love it. About 5500lbs loaded, 600lb tongue weight (measured).
Tows great with our "little" Grand Cherokee Hemi
-Oz
too cool
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #28
Streamline64

Vintage Kin Owner
Grass Valley , California
Question Money, Energy, Stamina, and Money

Those and more are what it takes. I've been engaged in doing what you say you want to do, to a vintage trailer. Mine was not an AS, but a similar chrome twinkie from mid 60s. It fell in my lap for $500 and I couldn't say no but I wish I'd thought it out more. It has been a money and energy draining experience. I thought I could 'do it all' too, but it needed a new door, baggage door, windows unstuck, old vents replaced, and worst of all a new floor, which I replaced myself-- one heck of a job. My warning to you is that it will take more time, energy and money to do, than you ever thought possible. Make sure that is what you want before you jump in!
Weigh that carefully in terms of how soon you want to go camping in the trailer after it reaches that point. I wish I'd bought and done one when I was 40 or younger, and not now at age 69! I wish you the best and good luck to you on your own project!
tommydSL64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hermitage , Tennessee
Redo of 1971 Sovereign 31

With your skill it should be a great experience. It took me about 2 years working on the weekends to complete a redo of a 1971 31 footer. Took everything out all the way down to the axles. Replaced with new axles and built it back out completely on the inside. Tried to keep it close to vintage on the outside, but went totally comfy on the inside. Plus added a solar array and tankless HW, which is amazing. There are a lot of great places to buy parts and pieces...good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 8.45.52 PM.png
Views:	84
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	334596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 8.45.26 PM.png
Views:	74
Size:	589.2 KB
ID:	334597  

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 8.44.43 PM.png
Views:	79
Size:	1,022.5 KB
ID:	334598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 8.36.10 PM.png
Views:	81
Size:	755.3 KB
ID:	334599  

ChrisJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Steelville , MO
Pre 1975s don't have a grey tank!

Just want you to be aware, that before about 1975, Almost no trailers, including Airstreams, had grey tanks, you just let the water go on the ground. (What a muddy mess that used to be!)
Yes, you can put one in, but I understand it can be quite a challenge to find one the dimensions and capacity you want, plus getting it mounted and tied into the black tank.
One option might be to get a composting toilet, and use the black as the grey tank.
I really like the older trailers layouts and quality. You don't really need all those bells and whistles anyway, do you?
Just wanted to point that out.
Jeantree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
ft collins , Colorado
1970 Caravanner

Good Morning.
My Name is Mike, I live in N. Colorado, and I like you wanted a fixer upper back in 2013, I did find one and have done extensive repairs, refurbishment inside and out.
Do to life changes, I have decided to put this Airstream on the market this coming spring. It is a 1970 Caravanner 25' weigh in @ 4800 lbs. and I also tow with a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 ex cab 4dr, 5.7 Hemi w/auto trans & 3.91 rear gear.
I can tell you that I can sell this for less than what it will take to buy one and refurbish it yourself. If you are interested in mine, I can sent pics of inside and out, along with a list of what I have done since 2013. Every major component has been replaced repaired or checked over for usability and safety.
I can sell this for approx what I have invested, not counting my labor is approaching $30k.
I will leave my e-mail if you would like to contact me, I will send the above documentation.

Thank you.
Mike. A/S sign on name:greybeard41
greybeard41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #32
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeantree View Post
Just want you to be aware, that before about 1975, Almost no trailers, including Airstreams, had grey tanks, you just let the water go on the ground. (What a muddy mess that used to be!)
Yes, you can put one in, but I understand it can be quite a challenge to find one the dimensions and capacity you want, plus getting it mounted and tied into the black tank.
One option might be to get a composting toilet, and use the black as the grey tank.
I really like the older trailers layouts and quality. You don't really need all those bells and whistles anyway, do you?
Just wanted to point that out.
The grey water conversion definitely looks like a project, we just purchased a blue 20 gal 2-wheel tank which slips perfectly under our bumper with the hose on it. With our 40 gal water tank, I just go dump it whenever it gets full (grey water). Just another option to be campground friendly.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #33
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJohnson View Post
With your skill it should be a great experience. It took me about 2 years working on the weekends to complete a redo of a 1971 31 footer. Took everything out all the way down to the axles. Replaced with new axles and built it back out completely on the inside. Tried to keep it close to vintage on the outside, but went totally comfy on the inside. Plus added a solar array and tankless HW, which is amazing. There are a lot of great places to buy parts and pieces...good luck!
Looks awesome, is that a heater above the TV?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydSL64 View Post
Those and more are what it takes. I've been engaged in doing what you say you want to do, to a vintage trailer. Mine was not an AS, but a similar chrome twinkie from mid 60s. It fell in my lap for $500 and I couldn't say no but I wish I'd thought it out more. It has been a money and energy draining experience. I thought I could 'do it all' too, but it needed a new door, baggage door, windows unstuck, old vents replaced, and worst of all a new floor, which I replaced myself-- one heck of a job. My warning to you is that it will take more time, energy and money to do, than you ever thought possible. Make sure that is what you want before you jump in!
Weigh that carefully in terms of how soon you want to go camping in the trailer after it reaches that point. I wish I'd bought and done one when I was 40 or younger, and not now at age 69! I wish you the best and good luck to you on your own project!
I needed a new door as well. In my case it was a taller garage door to get in in my shop. I'm glad to see another 69 year old restorer. It would have been much easier when I was 40 as well, except then I would have lacked the money and time. I feel your pain. 😣
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
As you can see from just these responses, there is a wealth of information here on the forum as you start your AS journey.

I have both a 26’ and 30’ Argosy. I evolved from one to another as the size of my family has changed and our needs for different layouts changed. I considered modifying my rear bath / twin bed 26’ to a midbath with a front dinette, but a key piece of advice I received here on the forum was while many things are possible to change, you will be well advised to find a model/floor plan that most closely aligns with your situation and style of camping. I now have a mid bath 30’ and using my 26’ as a parts donor (it’s worth more to me that way - clear panoramic windows are no longer made and there are 4 of them on the 30’)

Unless you are buying a recent model year, spend some time reviewing the major renovation threads for the model you narrow in on and you will find the common elements to plan for as well as the investment in time required to renovate an AS. In all likelihood your renovation will require new axles, frame repair, rodent eviction, subfloor replacement in part or whole, as well as replacing/refreshing interior system and updating the interior cosmetics to your liking. Take these factors into account as you budget for the initial purchase. I paid $4k for my 26’ and 8K for 30’ and both were in camp ready condition (less the same common items I mentioned above).

Enjoy the journey and we look forward to you sharing your experiences here on the forum.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Hello, John. Welcome to Airforums. In your quest to see reno AS, we can also offer a tour of ours. Yes, we're in Spring, just south of The Woodlands. Do you have a toll tag? Best way to reach us would be the Grand Parkway. As a matter of fact, our trailer is stored just north of the parkway. Ours is one of those "infamous" 70s trailers, which did actually come with the center bath. Yes, we're old enough to remember that decade. It wasn't exactly with any fondness. Therefore, we felt no guilt whatsover upgrading or changing where ever we darn well pleased. Interested in boondocking or solar? We're mostly finished with an upgrade involving a fancy hybrid inverter & lithium batteries.

One other note of caution here. Is this going to be a solo, or couples, project? Even if it's solo, I would be very surprised if your significant other doesn't occasionally offer an opinion, or make a request which is totally different from the vision you have in your head. This is not the type of project which will improve a struggling relationship. In fact, it could very easily take a perfectly good thing & send it in the other direction. Hubs & I are both hard-core project people. But we occasionally have different ideas for doing the same project. Yikes! Just like the sage advice of never going to bed angry, the same thing applies when working with someone else on an AS. If you're already riled up over something else, save your restoration projects for a time when everyone is calm, cool & logical. They'll turn out much nicer the first time then.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi John in Texas: Welcome from Colorado. You have been given some great information about vintage Airstreams in this thread. I have done a 66 Trade Wind 24', a 69 Globetrotter 21', a 75 Overlander 27'(current project), and a 86 Limited 34'. I'm no expert, but I have enjoyed the vintage Airstream hobby since 2005 and have learned a lot. I find the information given here is darn accurate.

I'm going to pitch the Beatrice 70s trailers as good candidates for renovation. As mentioned, these trailers were built light weight so your Ford Falcon could pull them. The extra weight in the rear to reduce tongue weight was detrimental to the frame and floors. It did keep the front wheels of that Falcon on the ground. But, but the 70s trailers have some very interesting construction techniques. Thin melamine was the choice for walls and cabinet faces. Tambour roll up doors were the rule. Mine has lasted quite well through the years. The cabinet framing is extruded aluminum pieces. Strong, lightweight, and doesn't rot like the 66 and 69 trailers I worked on.

RV water tanks in many configurations are readily available at about $250 each. I've reconfigured drain plumbing to accommodate adequate waste water capacity. A guy could convert a 70s trailer to a more desirable mid bath, rear bed layout. A lot of cabinet building, and a lot of added weight, but very doable with enough time and money.

The "lightened" frame rails and the rear end separation can be repaired. The most important element of a vintage Airstream is the body. Big dents and gouges are expensive to repair, but it can be done too.

Axles last about 30 years. Replacements are about $1000 each including brakes and bearings and shocks. A water heater is about $500, a fridge is about $1200, a air conditioner is about $700, a furnace is about $600, a new converter is about $250 and on and on. It adds up.

You might like to take a quick look at my "project thread" to see how a 75 Overlander was built. I've read Minno's thread on their 72 is it very good. There are rebuild threads on almost any year and model of Airstream.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #38
Dreamstream

2018 23' International
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Thanks for the summary - interesting!
Patty53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Humble , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
I will put in a pitch for 60's models. Still plenty out there and the curved corning windows are pretty unique. I think the 90's trailers have a lot of particle board and OSB in them. Heavier and lower quality. 60's trailers have hardwood cabinets and components. My 1967 Overlander 26 ft weighs about 4300 lbs. It is for sale (in Houston) but the renovation is complete so probably not a good candidate for your project.
What are you asking for your Overlander? Do you have a link with photos?
RosieRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
$29000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieRides View Post
What are you asking for your Overlander? Do you have a link with photos?
https://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/d...797445609.html
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote