Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
'Dream Smasher' - The Airstream

Hey guys. I hauled my Airstream the 7 hours home yesterday in the most unsafe way possible, but thats another story! Today, I grabbed the ol Mag Lite and started givin it the once over. The results were not good. The guy said the electrical was ok and the bathroom needed plumbing. Turns out, NONE of the electrical works and im pretty sure EVERYTHING needs plumbed. I dont even know where to start! Im pretty bummed but I am actually anxious to start the rebuild process. Anyone wanna hold my hand and walk me through where to start?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Welcome to airstreaming...... Power thru the pain my friend.

Things never look as bad when your in the heat of the deal, but then reality kicks in and it's always somewhat disappointing. The bright side is it will be done the right way now.

Electrical can be tricky and may work as promised. What is plugged in!? Battery or power cord?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
When I think on what is most important, this is the order for me:

1] Mobility: all the road safety/performance items.

2] Propane: a close call with #3, but heat for water & air, plus cooking (and some lighting) give it this position for me.

3] Water: the potential source of most damage, either by rain or flood, or by (aarrgh!) plumbing breaks. It's third as water can be stored safely in temporary containers (propane, not really).

4] Electrical: Many may put this first, but the trailer can be operated w/o such as shelter indefinitely (given some work-arounds).

Overall, the TT needs an inventory of what is a problem. Probably needs a complete go through (systems check), and -- with plans for usage foremost in mind -- a project-by-project schedule. Some way, IOW, to budget time & money.

I vote for keeping the trailer on the road first as it is otherwise no other than an expensive garden shed. Plus, tires/axles/brakes/lights/chains/harness, etc, are "easy" in comparison to some other projects (get something accomplished).

If you're gonna rip it apart, then that is a different set of priorities.

Glad you got it home, and good luck!

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Ok heres im at so far:

Found my way to the breaker box and started doin some tests (all with 110v). Iv got power coming into the camper and also, the breakers are hot. Nothin from there though... No lights, no water pump, nothin! And since all the electrical runs behind the wall, its instantly become a headache!

And to Rednax: the most important stuff is o.k. When I towed it home, the trailer brakes didnt work (EEEK!!!). On the way home, we made a pit stop at my gfs house. I hopped in my truck later that same night with the AS still attached to come home and they magically started workin? Im not complaining! Only other problem would be the safety chains have S hooks on them... as in the same ones on bungee straps... another EEEK!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Yes, but the lights, water pump, etc are 12v, so you need to find the converter and check the output. 120v would be the a/c and wall outlets - check those for 120v current.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Remove and reinstall every fuse - enough oxides can build up to lift the connections. Happened to my trailer between inspection and my first power-on once I got it home. Get water or RV anti-freeze in every drain trap ASAP. Study the plumbing to be able to winterize it, sunset the first night its to drop into the 20's is not the proper time to figure it out.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Ok heres im at so far:

Found my way to the breaker box and started doin some tests (all with 110v). Iv got power coming into the camper and also, the breakers are hot. Nothin from there though... No lights, no water pump, nothin! And since all the electrical runs behind the wall, its instantly become a headache!

And to Rednax: the most important stuff is o.k. When I towed it home, the trailer brakes didnt work (EEEK!!!). On the way home, we made a pit stop at my gfs house. I hopped in my truck later that same night with the AS still attached to come home and they magically started workin? Im not complaining! Only other problem would be the safety chains have S hooks on them... as in the same ones on bungee straps... another EEEK!!!
I think maybe after driving to thr girl friends the battery charged from the TV. Kinda like "magic". Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
This sounds like it is going to be another amazing "project trailer" !! I sure hope ElCamino Man is taking loads of photos, and will document and share with us along his journey with this camper. I am learning so much by following these repair/restore threads. We simply do not see this level of commitment in "other brands".
These trailers make a person stop and stare at them, that is for sure.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
I think maybe after driving to thr girl friends the battery charged from the TV. Kinda like "magic". Sal.
(A "battery" got charged, huh?)
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I always forget to take pics of my progress! But Ill get to it right now!

As for the battery and trailer brakes, wouldnt they have worked somewhere along the drive home?

Todays mission: find the converter! Its GOTTA have one since it has both fuses and breakers. Maybe its set on 12v instead of 120v? Or do they automatically change lol. I dunno these things about trailers lol
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the fun. It has a converter and most of them hum. Follow the hum to find the converter. If it is not humming then maybe there is no power to the converter. I view a converter as just a battery charger. Also, find your batteries and check your voltage. If you have not got a digital voltmeter, buy one- less than $10.

Your life will be forever changed- for the good mostly.

Dan
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^ Thanks Dan for those encouraging words! I plan on campin whenever time... and money... allows!

I did notice when I plugged her in for the first time and flipped all the breakers on, somethin started hummin in the front under the fuse panel... I got a little worried and unplugged it (wasnt hard wired in... just plugged into an outlet). I figured it was a heater of somesort since it had some fins on it lol. Maybe Id better look closer
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
ElC Man

You may be in luck. It sounds like a converter that may have already been replaced. The original converter is called a univolt and I believe they were usually hard wired in with no fins. It is definately not a heater. You have a propane furnace for heat! You may want to post a piture of it.

Dan
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I plugged it back in and whatdya know! My lights work lol. Tried the water pump... nothin. Turns out iv got a switch in the bathroom that says "pump" and its not the water pump lol. Must be the water heater pump? Iv got a gob of wires that came out of the solid state monitor thingy and jumped a couple wires accross and the pump started hummin.

I looked around and found a black box that looked oddly about the size of a battery. Then I remembered theres a locked door at that location outside. I didnt have a key so I used a screwdriver and popped it open. Wouldnt ya know it? The battery box! But no battery... Im finally gettin somewhere!

Pics soon to follow: