Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
'Dream Smasher' - The Airstream

Hey guys. I hauled my Airstream the 7 hours home yesterday in the most unsafe way possible, but thats another story! Today, I grabbed the ol Mag Lite and started givin it the once over. The results were not good. The guy said the electrical was ok and the bathroom needed plumbing. Turns out, NONE of the electrical works and im pretty sure EVERYTHING needs plumbed. I dont even know where to start! Im pretty bummed but I am actually anxious to start the rebuild process. Anyone wanna hold my hand and walk me through where to start?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Welcome to airstreaming...... Power thru the pain my friend.

Things never look as bad when your in the heat of the deal, but then reality kicks in and it's always somewhat disappointing. The bright side is it will be done the right way now.

Electrical can be tricky and may work as promised. What is plugged in!? Battery or power cord?
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
When I think on what is most important, this is the order for me:

1] Mobility: all the road safety/performance items.

2] Propane: a close call with #3, but heat for water & air, plus cooking (and some lighting) give it this position for me.

3] Water: the potential source of most damage, either by rain or flood, or by (aarrgh!) plumbing breaks. It's third as water can be stored safely in temporary containers (propane, not really).

4] Electrical: Many may put this first, but the trailer can be operated w/o such as shelter indefinitely (given some work-arounds).

Overall, the TT needs an inventory of what is a problem. Probably needs a complete go through (systems check), and -- with plans for usage foremost in mind -- a project-by-project schedule. Some way, IOW, to budget time & money.

I vote for keeping the trailer on the road first as it is otherwise no other than an expensive garden shed. Plus, tires/axles/brakes/lights/chains/harness, etc, are "easy" in comparison to some other projects (get something accomplished).

If you're gonna rip it apart, then that is a different set of priorities.

Glad you got it home, and good luck!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Ok heres im at so far:

Found my way to the breaker box and started doin some tests (all with 110v). Iv got power coming into the camper and also, the breakers are hot. Nothin from there though... No lights, no water pump, nothin! And since all the electrical runs behind the wall, its instantly become a headache!

And to Rednax: the most important stuff is o.k. When I towed it home, the trailer brakes didnt work (EEEK!!!). On the way home, we made a pit stop at my gfs house. I hopped in my truck later that same night with the AS still attached to come home and they magically started workin? Im not complaining! Only other problem would be the safety chains have S hooks on them... as in the same ones on bungee straps... another EEEK!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Yes, but the lights, water pump, etc are 12v, so you need to find the converter and check the output. 120v would be the a/c and wall outlets - check those for 120v current.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Remove and reinstall every fuse - enough oxides can build up to lift the connections. Happened to my trailer between inspection and my first power-on once I got it home. Get water or RV anti-freeze in every drain trap ASAP. Study the plumbing to be able to winterize it, sunset the first night its to drop into the 20's is not the proper time to figure it out.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Ok heres im at so far:

Found my way to the breaker box and started doin some tests (all with 110v). Iv got power coming into the camper and also, the breakers are hot. Nothin from there though... No lights, no water pump, nothin! And since all the electrical runs behind the wall, its instantly become a headache!

And to Rednax: the most important stuff is o.k. When I towed it home, the trailer brakes didnt work (EEEK!!!). On the way home, we made a pit stop at my gfs house. I hopped in my truck later that same night with the AS still attached to come home and they magically started workin? Im not complaining! Only other problem would be the safety chains have S hooks on them... as in the same ones on bungee straps... another EEEK!!!
I think maybe after driving to thr girl friends the battery charged from the TV. Kinda like "magic". Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
This sounds like it is going to be another amazing "project trailer" !! I sure hope ElCamino Man is taking loads of photos, and will document and share with us along his journey with this camper. I am learning so much by following these repair/restore threads. We simply do not see this level of commitment in "other brands".
These trailers make a person stop and stare at them, that is for sure.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
I think maybe after driving to thr girl friends the battery charged from the TV. Kinda like "magic". Sal.
(A "battery" got charged, huh?)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I always forget to take pics of my progress! But Ill get to it right now!

As for the battery and trailer brakes, wouldnt they have worked somewhere along the drive home?

Todays mission: find the converter! Its GOTTA have one since it has both fuses and breakers. Maybe its set on 12v instead of 120v? Or do they automatically change lol. I dunno these things about trailers lol
Old 09-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the fun. It has a converter and most of them hum. Follow the hum to find the converter. If it is not humming then maybe there is no power to the converter. I view a converter as just a battery charger. Also, find your batteries and check your voltage. If you have not got a digital voltmeter, buy one- less than $10.

Your life will be forever changed- for the good mostly.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^ Thanks Dan for those encouraging words! I plan on campin whenever time... and money... allows!

I did notice when I plugged her in for the first time and flipped all the breakers on, somethin started hummin in the front under the fuse panel... I got a little worried and unplugged it (wasnt hard wired in... just plugged into an outlet). I figured it was a heater of somesort since it had some fins on it lol. Maybe Id better look closer
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
ElC Man

You may be in luck. It sounds like a converter that may have already been replaced. The original converter is called a univolt and I believe they were usually hard wired in with no fins. It is definately not a heater. You have a propane furnace for heat! You may want to post a piture of it.

Dan
Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I plugged it back in and whatdya know! My lights work lol. Tried the water pump... nothin. Turns out iv got a switch in the bathroom that says "pump" and its not the water pump lol. Must be the water heater pump? Iv got a gob of wires that came out of the solid state monitor thingy and jumped a couple wires accross and the pump started hummin.

I looked around and found a black box that looked oddly about the size of a battery. Then I remembered theres a locked door at that location outside. I didnt have a key so I used a screwdriver and popped it open. Wouldnt ya know it? The battery box! But no battery... Im finally gettin somewhere!

Pics soon to follow:
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: the water pump, many trailers have the switch for the water pump near the galley sink. In my '75 Argosy, it's an unlabeled rocker switch that's a similar color to the wall color. It's an exact match for my exterior "porch light" over the door so I guess it's original, but it's surprising that they're both unlabeled.

Various things could keep your water pump from working besides the switch, though. It could simply be seized, or there could be a loose connection or burned fuse.

It's nice that things don't seem as bad as they did initially! Where are those pictures?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
RV Book

Hey El Camino Man!

You got yourself a nice looking model. I like those Excella's! I had a '77 model and thought it was beautiful. I think their proportions are just about perfect.

Now, please don't take offense....but when I was in your shoes about 7 years ago, my wife bought me this book called "The Idiot's Guide to RVing". It's in the orangeish cover just like all the other "idiot's" books. It was actually a big help to me. l later got the one by Bob Livingston

Amazon.com: Trailer Life's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual (9780934798129): Bob Livingston: Books

You'll want this one. It's actually way better than the Idiot guide. But anyway, get that book. I'm a good mechanic, but was new to RV's. This book will guide you through just about everything.

Just watch out for SAG and SEPARATION on your model. All the data on those dreaded topics are in these forums. If you don't have those (my Excella had both), then you're good to go!

Welcome aboard Matey!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
No offense whatsoever! Iv been debating buying some sorta book on it but I figured most of the info on the book would be on here lol. But ill look into it!

As for pics:

Heres the outside. The best part!

The front! Wrap around couch thats been slightly dismantled to find the fuse box.

There was a couch here. I didnt like it so I removed it. Definitly helped though! Found the breaker box and water pump underneath it.

The bathroom! The part that needs the most work

Heres what the front couch looked like before I got my hands on it lol

Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
ElC Man

Well the outside really looks good. Hard to tell about the interior work.

Hopefully the second battery compartment is not empty. You don't want to ever be towing without at least one battery. This is needed to operate the brakes if the trailer comes loose from the TV.

No on/off label on the water pump switches because they are 3 way switches- up could be on or off depending on the position of the other switch.

Dan
Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Wow....it looks great in the photos ELC Man ! I have a feeling in a few more days, you are going to know more about this Airstream than you ever thought possible ! Gonna be awesome when you can get the family out in it and enjoy camping. Keep the photos coming.... I love learning about these trailers.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
2nd battery compartment? I didnt know they had two lol. Ill look around again!

And yes, the interior is coming along a whole lot more smooth than I first thought. Lets me breath a whole lot easier about the money I spent on the dern thing already lol. And wit hthe plans iv got, I should be able to reuse the wood I removed from the two bunks, so no budget bustin here! I think ill turn the area where that 2nd couch was into a sorta pantry. Iv got access to pallets so budget friendly is the name of the game!