Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: the water pump, many trailers have the switch for the water pump near the galley sink. In my '75 Argosy, it's an unlabeled rocker switch that's a similar color to the wall color. It's an exact match for my exterior "porch light" over the door so I guess it's original, but it's surprising that they're both unlabeled.

Various things could keep your water pump from working besides the switch, though. It could simply be seized, or there could be a loose connection or burned fuse.

It's nice that things don't seem as bad as they did initially! Where are those pictures?

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
RV Book

Hey El Camino Man!

You got yourself a nice looking model. I like those Excella's! I had a '77 model and thought it was beautiful. I think their proportions are just about perfect.

Now, please don't take offense....but when I was in your shoes about 7 years ago, my wife bought me this book called "The Idiot's Guide to RVing". It's in the orangeish cover just like all the other "idiot's" books. It was actually a big help to me. l later got the one by Bob Livingston

Amazon.com: Trailer Life's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual (9780934798129): Bob Livingston: Books

You'll want this one. It's actually way better than the Idiot guide. But anyway, get that book. I'm a good mechanic, but was new to RV's. This book will guide you through just about everything.

Just watch out for SAG and SEPARATION on your model. All the data on those dreaded topics are in these forums. If you don't have those (my Excella had both), then you're good to go!

Welcome aboard Matey!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
No offense whatsoever! Iv been debating buying some sorta book on it but I figured most of the info on the book would be on here lol. But ill look into it!

As for pics:

Heres the outside. The best part!

The front! Wrap around couch thats been slightly dismantled to find the fuse box.

There was a couch here. I didnt like it so I removed it. Definitly helped though! Found the breaker box and water pump underneath it.

The bathroom! The part that needs the most work

Heres what the front couch looked like before I got my hands on it lol

Old 09-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
ElC Man

Well the outside really looks good. Hard to tell about the interior work.

Hopefully the second battery compartment is not empty. You don't want to ever be towing without at least one battery. This is needed to operate the brakes if the trailer comes loose from the TV.

No on/off label on the water pump switches because they are 3 way switches- up could be on or off depending on the position of the other switch.

Dan
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Wow....it looks great in the photos ELC Man ! I have a feeling in a few more days, you are going to know more about this Airstream than you ever thought possible ! Gonna be awesome when you can get the family out in it and enjoy camping. Keep the photos coming.... I love learning about these trailers.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
2nd battery compartment? I didnt know they had two lol. Ill look around again!

And yes, the interior is coming along a whole lot more smooth than I first thought. Lets me breath a whole lot easier about the money I spent on the dern thing already lol. And wit hthe plans iv got, I should be able to reuse the wood I removed from the two bunks, so no budget bustin here! I think ill turn the area where that 2nd couch was into a sorta pantry. Iv got access to pallets so budget friendly is the name of the game!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The trailer looks very good in the photos. It seems that it was well maintained, so that is a good sign.

Wire connections can oxidize and cause problems, so cleaning them all is a good idea. Just moving the 12 v. connectors often solves the problem. The brakes may not have energized because of oxidation that wore off as you drove, or something may have been stuck. If the breakaway switch was dislodged, that could have caused problems, so make sure it is in tight and is oiled so it can come out easily if you need it.

The converter will be very near the fuse/breaker panel. It may be behind it and you may have to unscrew a cover plate to see it. Fins are on a converter to dissipate heat. It is called a heat sink. They often have a small fan too to further cool them. Sounds like you found it if you saw fins.

Woodall's also has a book on RV's that explains how they work and how to fix them. It is worth having and is easy to find on Amazon. It may be the same as the Trailer Life book since they are both owned by the same company.

If you don't have the owner's manual, check the Airstream company website—some older ones are online and can be printed. There may also be a shop manual and that would be very helpful too.

If you find a battery in another box, note that batteries like to work together and be of equal age, so you should replace all batteries at the same time.

Check the tires for age. There will be a date code on them showing the month and year. If they are more than 5 years old, consider replacing them.

And sanitize the fresh water system. You can't know how long ago it was cleaned.

All of these things require research and take too much time to explain in one post.

Congratulations on your new toy.

Gene
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Thanks Gene! Good info there! I hadnt even considered sanitizing the fresh water tank lol. And I never did find a 2nd battery. Not sure if thats good or bad lol. If money is flowin good, Ill get one of those fancy Optima 6-pack blue tops (deep cycle version)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Nice looking trailer. Looks like you have something good to start with. I'll be watching your progress.

I have linked to a photo from my 1983 Excella while the front couch was out while replacing the original Univolt. It shows the Univolt and both battery boxes.

On Edit: Linking a photo doesn't appear to be working this morning, when I submit the post, the link disappears completely. Also, the Google search is broken. Anyway, follow the link above and you can see the photo, it's the first one.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I definitly only have one battery box then. Iv got full access to that area under the "lounge" and theres only one black battery box under there. Its gotta be factory because theres no door on the outside either...?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
And.....if you stop over at gfs again and spend a while don't leave the Airstream connected to the tow vehicle. If 12 v is powering up it will search out your vehicle battery and drain it too. By the way thats the same line which does charge the Airstream battery.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
I definitly only have one battery box then. Iv got full access to that area under the "lounge" and theres only one black battery box under there. Its gotta be factory because theres no door on the outside either...?
I've heard of that. Some only came with one. You may or may not want to add another, depending on how much camping you anticipate without connection to power.

Looks pretty far down on the list of priorities for you right now.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The truck may have a relay which cuts off the charge line when the engine is off. I believe all recent trucks have that. You can check that with a multimeter.

Gene
Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
The AS lives up to its name!

Im attempting to get the more important issues worked out... Right now, its electrical! I was gonna start with plumbing but if you dont have running water, then you dont need plumbing... First off, some pictures!

The first pic is, what I believe to be, the bundle of wires that plugs into the solid state monitoring system. Most are smaller wires but others are larger ones. Where do they go? Who knows. I do know when I touch a white one and a black one with a lighter colored stripe, my water pumps starts humming. Not pumping water, just humming.

The 2nd pic is of 3 random wires comin out above my sink. Where they go? I havent a clue.

Tried seein if my "new" water pump works and couldn get it to squirt out a drop. Disconnected it, dunked the "in" side in water and hooked it to a battery. Still didnt pmup water. Either its trash or there needs to be pressure in the line. Someone help!!!