Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Cader strip canoe building technics for a wood interior ?

I am wondering if the technics used in building a cedar strip canoe, could be used to build up a wood interior?

Seems that the series of horizontal lines coming up from the floor to a "waistline", meeting a series of front-to-back lines along the ceiling and down the sides, would both contribute to the illusion of wider and longer than it actually us. Maybe the opportunity to include some inlays.

If its water tight enough for a boat, would certainly address condensation between the skins

Not sure how the cedar strips would be attached, but it seems with the aluminum ribs, one would have as much to work with as a boat builder.

Has anybody posted pic's of something like this ?
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
That would look nice. It's probably do-able, but it would be tricky. When you build a strip-planked canoe you are bending the strips over the outside of the ribs where in the Airstream you would be bending them to the inside of the ribs.

One time I daydreamed of building a cold-molded Airstream-shaped shell from epoxy-glued strips using an actual Airstream shell as the mold. Finished bright it would look quite striking.

I was going to call it a "Woodwind".
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
That would look nice. It's probably do-able, but it would be tricky. When you build a strip-planked canoe you are bending the strips over the outside of the ribs where in the Airstream you would be bending them to the inside of the ribs.

One time I daydreamed of building a cold-molded Airstream-shaped shell from epoxy-glued strips using an actual Airstream shell as the mold. Finished bright it would look quite striking.

I was going to call it a "Woodwind".
Would the Woodwind wood wind in the wind in the wind in a wood?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Runaround Sue: 1961 Airstream Safari Ready To Roll! | New Prairie Construction , check this one out!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktundra View Post
I am wondering if the technics used in building a cedar strip canoe, could be used to build up a wood interior?

Seems that the series of horizontal lines coming up from the floor to a "waistline", meeting a series of front-to-back lines along the ceiling and down the sides, would both contribute to the illusion of wider and longer than it actually us. Maybe the opportunity to include some inlays.

If its water tight enough for a boat, would certainly address condensation between the skins

Not sure how the cedar strips would be attached, but it seems with the aluminum ribs, one would have as much to work with as a boat builder.

Has anybody posted pic's of something like this ?
I've thought about this as well and decided it would be too challenging to do on a large scale, at least for me. I've built a few cedar strip canoes, and the cedar is largely just a form to shape a fiberglass hull. As a woodworker, I figured I could probably get the cedar strips installed. It would be very time consuming to do right, but laying the fiberglass on the inside, compound curves would be extremely difficult.

Someday, I may try the cedar strip technique on some smaller components.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote