View Poll Results: Vintage Airstream colors are...
Way cool! 7 20.00%
Fun. I like them! 6 17.14%
I'll keep them...for now. 7 20.00%
Downright ugly. 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2003, 11:24 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Funny you should ask....

We are in the middle of removing orange counters, table and orange plaid (requires sunglasses to view safely) upholstry and extra lovely burnt orange shag carpet. Yesterday the newly upholstered cushions went in. BIG improvement.

My fifteen year old son has informed me that orange is back in fashion and highly cool and that by removing it I have, once again, demonstrated my complete lack of understanding of pop culture!

1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Hi Scott,

We own the same Minuet, right down to the flowery bathroom.

I flipflop on what & how I feel about the vintage interior. I can't make up my mind - we (me and the interior) have a rocky relationship. Incidently, orange is my alltime favorite color, so if I had been lucky enough to get the orange countertops I probably would have been elated. Instead I got "woodlike."

The people we bought our camper from HATED the orange pin striping and painted it teal and black to match their car. You can still see parts of the old striping intact under areas he couldn't reach. Wish it were still Orange.

I think the only thing that makes me want to change anything from original is that the combined entirely vintage effect is dingy and dirty. I wiped down the walls, vaccumned, scrubbed the faded doesn't go away no matter how much it smells like Pinesol. Those 1979 colors combined with lots of "metal wood," woodlike countertops, woodtone fridge panel, paneling and heavy old faded curtains just feel dirty to me (must wash hands....must wash hands.....must wash hands....) And I especially hate the fronts of the cabinets with that strange textured wallpaperlike stuff that seems to suck any grease off of my four year old and display it proudly for our guests.

The artist in me wants to preserve the fun and crazy vintage.....that same artist wants to redo everything with the britghtest, loudest abstract upholstery and decor money can buy.

So, what was the question again? Oh yea, do I like the vintage colors? I guess I still don't know.

hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Well, that will teach you for untying the kids and letting them out of the basement before they're old enough to leave home. Oh! did I say that out loud? jk

Lookin' Good! Sneakinup

biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Thanks for the nice comments on my soon to be new interior.

Yesterday I went and "inspected" a 1974 Overlander for a future fellow Airstreamer. I was surprised to see how different the interior was in just those two years. It had the same simulated wood and yellow countertops that mine had. This trailer was in really nice condition, and it had a really cozy feel to it with those 70's colors. It was a trailer that you could buy and get right to business with!

I spent a good hour and a half going over it, and gave the prospective buyer a thumbs up. I believe he is flying down this weekend from NH to consumate the deal.

The second I got home, I headed out to my trailer to "feel" the difference. I have to say, the white cabinetry and slightly modified living room layout really made it feel more spacious. Technically, there is probably less floor space, but the perception was more roomy.

If I had a totally gutted AS (like Nellie said), I might design it a bit different using light woods and such. Still modern. Next project!
My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with Uwe...

I actually like the funky 70's colors, if everything else is right.
If it's well maintained, clean and intact...I'm all for keeping it a 70's time capsule....

I LOVE the orange flowery vinyl in the bathrooms of the 76-ish Airstreams...I think it's the same as the '79 Argosy's!!! "Flower-power"...way cool man!

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When we first looked at our A/S, as soon as my wife Diane saw the yellow/gold/whatever it's called countertop, she said "No way am I going camping with that #&%$@# countertop in there!" I had to promise to change it out, or no deal. We did relaminate it to a nice blue color, that matches carpeting rather nicely.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
I love the vintage colors! We have the pumpkin orange countertops in our Argosy. The previous owners reupholstered the couches and chairs very tastefully Ina nice chocolate brown. But I crave the original orange chenille corduroy upholstery. If I can ever find that fabric, I'm going to reupholster to make everything as warm and bright as the original.

Stephenssg is offline   Reply With Quote