Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Nunica , Michigan
Do I need to paint with zolatone

Hi there. I'm wanting to know if zolatone is the right choice for the interior of my 72 overlander? And if so does anyone know how much I need to order. Thanks
Mberg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
There are now, two "types" of Zolatone. The Automotive Version, "Type 20" (which is what they used in the early sixties), it's pretty spendy, it's very durable and bullet proof, and you'll need "automotive" type spraying equipment . . . mostly a compressor with enough capacity to "keep up".

The other "Zolatone" is a completely different product, and is intended for interior use only . . . there are people on the forums have used it and seem to be satisfied.

Either way you'll will need to get down to metal (I'm assuming 70's airstreams have some kind of surface material - like vinyl or ? . . .).

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Heber , Utah
I have used the original type zolatone and it covers very well. you can buy the special gun at harbor freight to apply but you will also need a compressor. A regular automotive paint gun will not work the one you need has a large applicator nozzle and a hopper on top spay at low pressure I think I sued 30 to 40 psi. You do get a lot of overspay and need to cover floors and use some form of respirator. once on this stuff will last for years. I used two gallons on a bambi so I imagine you will need three to four on yours. I did not take the old paint down to bare metal just sanded with 80 grid on an orbital. Good luck...

you can always just use a good quality house latex paint. P always choose a bathroom quality paint for the walls... washable....
shinytincans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
"Metal" was not the word I should have used - what I meant to say was: if the walls have a "covering" of some type, as I understand 70's trailers have, then you're going to have to remove it.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Hi there! Turns out I'm the Zolatone Flex guy... I rolled it on the interior of my '72, on top of 3 coats of Kilz II. Didn't strip, just washed down everything well with citrus cleaner. Still working great, about a year and a half in. I've talked about the process in detail, check some of my other posts.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Nunica , Michigan
so if im understanding this correct i need to remove all the vinyl wall covering off the aluminum inside before i paint with the zilatone
Mberg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imho, if a good paint is applied over CLEAN and scuffed vinyl that is not already peeling, it will stick.

Bare metal as a starter surface is over rated, especially aluminum.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I concur...IF the vinyl is securely adhered, you do not have to strip it off to get a good result over-spraying it with Zolatone. You will need to be sure the vinyl is as clean as possible, then prime it before jumping in with the Zolatone application. We did our '56 with the Type 20 AIM product several years ago and love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberg130 View Post
<snip> And if so does anyone know how much I need to order. Thanks
Here's a link to our thread with the step-by-step process and a post with the list of materials & tools we used on our 22-footer.

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote