Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
RVATOR

2018 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Ditch the Dinette

Apologies for reposting this but a friend could not find it

Here is a write up on our removing the Dinette from our 28’ RB Twin. The compression affected the photo’s somewhat.

Ditch the Dinette-compressed.pdf

RV-7 (N23KT) VANSAIRFORCE.NET
Toornburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Thanks for this. This is on our list already, though we are going with a spot for a Eurpean/RV style washer/dryer and a bar top with a pullout table/desk and understorage.

Since the bathroom sink drains into the blackwater tank, did you run into any issues there? I see you mentioned it in the PDF, that was a concern of mine, but I don't know if there is really an issue to worry about.

We have a 2019 FC 28RBQ, so our dinette is a bit different, but the underneath will be the same (I've poked around under the rear dinette booth recently to see what lives down there).

GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Wow; guess I am missing the point/value of doing all this? Why would you take out the dinette in a "new" 28' and install a washer/dryer anyway? Are you going full time and will expect to always be hooked-up for fresh water and gray water dump facility? I note the cost of the washer/dryer would go a long way in laundry at a launder mat while on the road...at least our experience. Appreciate sharing your thoughts? Is it true the bathroom sink goes into black water tank?? I don't know that is accurate.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Wow; guess I am missing the point/value of doing all this? Why would you take out the dinette in a "new" 28' and install a washer/dryer anyway? Are you going full time and will expect to always be hooked-up for fresh water and gray water dump facility? I note the cost of the washer/dryer would go a long way in laundry at a launder mat while on the road...at least our experience. Appreciate sharing your thoughts? Is it true the bathroom sink goes into black water tank?? I don't know that is accurate.
If you are unaware of where your bathroom sink drains, you should read the manual, there is a wealth of information in there. The 27' model (with the bathroom on the other side) drains into the greywater tank.

For us, we will be going fulltime in about 6 years. Our 3 year warranty will be up in 3 years, thus the wait for us to remove the dinette. We intend to replace the dinette as I posted above. Its just the two of us, we don't need to seat 4 for dining, plus we'd like the additional storage and the ability to have a Washer/Dryer unit. We got the idea from searching online for 28' remodels and found some photos of someone who did the bar/Washer/Dryer mod and we just love it.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
If you are unaware of where your bathroom sink drains, you should read the manual, there is a wealth of information in there. The 27' model (with the bathroom on the other side) drains into the greywater tank.

For us, we will be going fulltime in about 6 years. Our 3 year warranty will be up in 3 years, thus the wait for us to remove the dinette. We intend to replace the dinette as I posted above. Its just the two of us, we don't need to seat 4 for dining, plus we'd like the additional storage and the ability to have a Washer/Dryer unit. We got the idea from searching online for 28' remodels and found some photos of someone who did the bar/Washer/Dryer mod and we just love it.
Your right..interesting; found out something new; the earlier 3 AS's we had were plumbed into the gray tank. I will have to watch the water usage when shaving and brushing going forward! As for washer/dryer in an AS; unusual for me to see someone adding washer/dryer...think larger 5th wheel already plumbed with larger tanks is why I am surprised at your direction. Good luck..hope it all works for you.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
RVATOR

2018 28' International
Dallas , Texas
The fact it drained into the black tank was a shock. I should have read the manual. I pulled the grey tank open while my wife was using the washer but the bathroom sink overflowed! So, that is how I discovered that anomaly. Maybe AS did that to simplify plumbing on the starboard side. Good luck with your project!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
RVATOR

2018 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Fair comment on the wisdom of modifying a new AS. It was a personal preference for space and usability. The W/D was a bribe for my wife as she does small loads constantly even at home. We have no aversion to facilities but the convenience factor sure is high. The separate dryer is awesome for damp towels too. You are very correct on it being a full hookup proposition!

I was amazed that the sink drained to black tank. It was an overflow that manifested that fact. Grey tank was fully open and my wife exclaimed we were having a “flood”. Black tank was 100%. Live and learn. Never had that config in any other rig. So I just assumed it was grey....my bad.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toornburg View Post
Fair comment on the wisdom of modifying a new AS. It was a personal preference for space and usability. The W/D was a bribe for my wife as she does small loads constantly even at home. We have no aversion to facilities but the convenience factor sure is high. The separate dryer is awesome for damp towels too. You are very correct on it being a full hookup proposition!

I was amazed that the sink drained to black tank. It was an overflow that manifested that fact. Grey tank was fully open and my wife exclaimed we were having a “flood”. Black tank was 100%. Live and learn. Never had that config in any other rig. So I just assumed it was grey....my bad.

AS told me they only do it to a handful of models...but which ones is the question to ask.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
unusual for me to see someone adding washer/dryer...think larger 5th wheel already plumbed with larger tanks is why I am surprised at your direction.
If you hang out on "Airstream Addicts" you will see that adding a W/D is not that uncommon at all.

In fact, look at one of Ultimate Airstream's standard upgrades (different model, but still):

http://ultimateairstream.com/project/gl-washer-dryer/
Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
And to be clear, I only plan on plumbing and roughing in the space for a W/D initially. This way here, we get full use of the space for storage if we don't use it, and should we decide we want a W/D after going full time, its really just a matter of ordering one and hooking it up vs handling the plumbing once we are full time.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
While I am on a roll here, these are the photos of what we are looking to do (concept wise). The W/D would be located by the wheel well and "hidden".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	339120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	339121  

Old 04-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
RVATOR

2018 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
If you hang out on "Airstream Addicts" you will see that adding a W/D is not that uncommon at all.

In fact, look at one of Ultimate Airstream's standard upgrades (different model, but still):

Wouldn’t it be nice to have access to a facility and talent like Ultimate has. I would be in heaven but broke too soon!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

Understand; that's great if your always with hookups perhaps, but we boondock a lot, and many times we are 5-8 days on the road without hookups; sometimes longer. Wife doesn't need to do laundry that often. Also, the dinette area in the 28' doubles for dinning and gaming with new friends/guests we meet while traveling, in addition to the grandkids...which use the dinette area for extra sleeping area.

We carry enough clothing and bedding to go a 2-3 weeks without having to do laundry. Then, we can get it all done with the full size laundromat. If I was going full time, for us, we think we would get a larger 5th wheel with all the home style amenities; meantime, you can do a lot of laundry for the cost of these smaller washer/dryer RV size appliances. Perhaps when you get yours installed, we will knock on your door while at an AS gathering and ask to use yours! (for a $1.50 a load, of course!) Sounds like that solution will work fine for your goals...good luck and happy laundry days ahead!