Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Disappointed Camping World - Sofas

I have been looking to save some $$$ on a comfortable jackknife sofa for our "74" Tradewind. A recent Camping World flyer listed a sofa that might meet those requirements. And at a good price...but I didn't read the fine print. They tack on $400 shipping which is almost the price they are asking for the sofa. Like most RV furniture/appliances, the sofa sold by Camping World comes out of Elkhart, Ind area. Tomorrow I'll call the manufacturer of that particular sofa and see if I can drive there for pick up. Even with the gas, it would be worth it. Has anyone else picked up a sofa from one of the RV suppliers in Elkhart? If so, what were your experiences and who would you recommend? Thanks!

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofa.png
Views:	169
Size:	555.3 KB
ID:	218159  
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There are Camping World stores all over, and closer to you than the store in Indiana that handles Internet sales. Such as Hanover, PA and Harrisburg, PA. If you're going to go somewhere in person, doesn't it make sense to go someplace close?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
My experiences with camping world have been very negative. It is hard to tell if they are dishonest or incompetent, or both.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I have been here. Search "sofa"

Factory RV Surplus

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Thanks Ace!

Here is Camping Worlds policy: they will honor the internet special price BUT charge you full freight. Or you can pay the list price and no freight (if they have it in stock). Most of internet deals are not in their stores. I was told this by Camping World in Winchester, VA. No deals here...

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My experiences - though limited - with Camping World have never been good.

I often enjoy browsing through their stores when we are near one, but seldom buy anything there unless I absolutely want it and cannot get it anywhere else.

Our most recent experience was in Tucson where we had the misfortune of breaking the glass turntable in our Dometic Microwave.

Camping World didn't have one but said they could order it for me - it would be over $60 and I would have to pay the shipping which they said would be quite expensive.

Instead they suggested I buy a new microwave - even then, all they could offer me was a countertop model whereas ours is built in and we certainly don't have enough free counter space for a countertop unit - stupid suggestion!

Next day I found an exact OEM replacement on the internet and had it delivered by courier to our campsite in a couple of days for under $30 total!

This just seemed to confirm my impressions of Camping World.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We went into CW for the first and hopefully last time this weekend. Great selection but horrible prices. Also I wouldn't want to run that sales gauntlet just to look at R Vs!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The set of "Camping World" and the set of "disappointment" seem to intersect pretty significantly.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Unfortunately Camping World is becoming the big box store of camping and RV's and shoving everything else out. Their stock levels are poor, pricing is okay, but they nail you on shipping on large items. I needed a set of bed struts for an SOB, they were out of stock on line and I could not find a store that had them in stock, but they could order them for me. How they could order them and I couldn't didn't add up. I located the manufacturer and ordered from their online store, paid full retail with free shipping and still came out ahead of the CW "sale" price.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have had Good Luck, some times the price might be higher but was in stock. The first was my SURGE PROTECTOR got fried. I ccalled CW andthey said to return it and they would replace it; done.
The other item was the Fantastic DC fan. I had 3 cords melt on 3 different units. They replaced all 3. I than said, just refund me, which they did and than called and asked if I would accept another fan with a heavier cord at NO charge. It still works.
I also bought 2 camp chairs, after getting them, they were too low and hard to get out of. I returned them, but paid return shipping.
I guess we all have different experiences.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have had Good Luck <snip>
mike
Time to buy a lottery ticket!!